It’s softshell time,,,

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't think there's anything that swims in salt water that's any better eatin', I just put in an order for a few dozen yesterday...

Starfan

Eight Pointer
I’ve never eaten anything that I like better. I’ll cook 4 or 5 just for me and and only dip them in cocktail. No sides just softshells.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
one of my favorite things to eat at the get together, and working on how to get some back up here, problem will always be keeping them frozen, or prevent from eating them all once i get home

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I catch my own when gigging.....interesting fact.

If you see a doubled up crab the female is soft and the Male is protecting her. Just knock him off and scoop her up. The Male however has no such protection. I just tap them with the gig, if they are hard shell he will "ding". If softshell you will know.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Is this something can be bought local or do we need to order online.

I buy it when I am down towards outer banks area or from Local Seafoods when I do a run there,,,,

I've tried them frozen and prefer fresh - may be how we prepped the frozen ones so will try frozen again one day

darenative

Twelve Pointer
About the only seafood i cant stand to eat. Caught, shedded, cleaned, and handled too many over the years and lost the taste for em.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Cleaned a dozen years ago when I was young and single, long flowing locks, shirt off, cooking for a good looking girl I was dating. Just cut the face off and got all the gunk out of them hit them with some house autry into the hot oil. Water pocket in one of the soft shells went off in the hot oil and blasted me like a 12gauge with #9's. My whole chest/belly was a pattern of blisters for a few days. I've never cooked softshells with my shirt off again and that's been 30 years ago.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Cleaned a dozen years ago when I was young and single, long flowing locks, shirt off, cooking for a good looking girl I was dating. Just cut the face off and got all the gunk out of them hit them with some house autry into the hot oil. Water pocket in one of the soft shells went off in the hot oil and blasted me like a 12gauge with #9's. My whole chest/belly was a pattern of blisters for a few days. I've never cooked softshells with my shirt off again and that's been 30 years ago.
You should have just had clam instead

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
One of my favorites.

Just ordered some from my local fresh seafood joint. Pick up tomorrow. Pittsboro, NC.
Can’t wait.
Yum.

Locals seafood also has them in Raleigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk