It’s Flounder Time!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Increase it to 18 or even more....you know how bad it hurts to follow the law when you drag in a 19” flounder on the beach and know you arent supposed to keep it?

Heh.

In New York the minimum size limit on flounder is 19 inches.

TH80

Eight Pointer
I fished today. Wasn’t much boat traffic out. Caught a lot of flounder early and some nice thick ones. Couldn’t find a trout but did manage a 22” drum.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Guy in at work is taking all his kids and wife so they can catch "1" fish also each day.
He is down there no filling the cooler.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Do you know where NY is let alone fish up there?

NC has the second lowest minimum size limit for summer flounder outside of Georgia.

Summer flounder (fluke) size limits:

NC- 15 inches
NY- 18.5inches
CT-18.5 inches
RI- 18 inches
NJ- 17 inches
DE- 16 inches
MD- 16 inches
VA- 16 inches
SC- 16 inches
GA- 12 inches

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
If the dove opener is decent tomorrow I’ll be fishing on Monday, but mainly looking for Spanish and kings. If I’m marking some good structure on the bottom with no other boats I might stop and jig for flounder but personally I think their flavor is overrated, I’d be just as happy with a nice black bass or white grunt

Fatkid

Eight Pointer
NC has the second lowest minimum size limit for summer flounder outside of Georgia.

Summer flounder (fluke) size limits:

NC- 15 inches
NY- 18.5inches
CT-18.5 inches
RI- 18 inches
NJ- 17 inches
DE- 16 inches
MD- 16 inches
VA- 16 inches
SC- 16 inches
GA- 12 inches

New York only has summer flounder. Summer flounder are managed by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. Summer populations are doing fine.

NC has MOSTLY Southern flounder. Southern flounder are managed by the Mid-Atlantic Fisheries Management Council. Southern flounder populations are not doing as well.

Other states have more liberal ways to management their “reductions” while fish populations are down. But NCDMF under Director Louis Daniels with direction from the CCA forced the state of NC to follow the most stringiest rules for population rebuilding. They basically have to legally follow maximum reductions on simultaneous 2 and 5 year rebuilding plans and put themselves up for legal action if they don’t follow these “rules” they adopted.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
If the dove opener is decent tomorrow I’ll be fishing on Monday, but mainly looking for Spanish and kings. If I’m marking some good structure on the bottom with no other boats I might stop and jig for flounder but personally I think their flavor is overrated, I’d be just as happy with a nice black bass or white grunt
Need someone to help pay for gas! We are down at OKI

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
If they are are going to have a season at least make it fair for everyone, be it a recreational or a commercial fisherman. :)

lerch

Button Buck
Saw lots of little ones and a few legal ones in about an hour of poling around. Found a nice 22” one to keep for supper. Only saw 1 other boat on the water.

Attachments

• 8016BA77-008E-4836-936A-90CF838D00EF.jpeg
    8016BA77-008E-4836-936A-90CF838D00EF.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 41

lerch

Button Buck
Might be legal, but if not hook & line that is Lame ass way get one. Yea I said it, carry on 👎🏻
I enjoy catching them on hook and line too. Hard to know what size fish is going to bite my hook so I enjoy just poling around in the back waters looking for one over 20” for supper. To each his own I guess. Sure is pretty to me to see all the aquatic life under the lights at night.