Issue viewing pictures from SD card

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Has anyone else experienced this? When I insert an SD card (pulled from Moultrie trail cameras) into my laptop and view pictures using the Microsoft Photos App, the picture initially pops up full size but immediately reduces to about 20% of the picture only showing the center. This is happening with 8 Moultrie cameras, some older and some newer, and up until a few months ago I could view the pictures correctly from these cameras. I can still view pictures normally from SD cards pulled from my Browning and Covert cameras. Moultrie says the issue is caused by a recent update to the Photos APP. I provided Moultrie's response to Microsoft but have not received an answer.

I've tried twice to start a chat session with Microsoft Help but the wait time is so long I eventually give up. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this and found a solution.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My 3 moultries started doing the same. It is annoying. I had one of the "tech" gurus from school look at it and he couldn't figure it out.

I am going to hook a spypoint cell-link up to one and see if it makes a difference this weekend.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Same thing has happened to one of mine. Had a couple of folks look at it but to no avail. Hope someone can get an answer soon.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No idea, but for the purpose of the intel, you might try a phone card reader so you can view them. Don't want to miss a crack at the big one in daylight.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I use to run some moultrie cameras, went back and looked at some pics and it does the same thing. The work around for now is to open the folder and change the preview to extra large. You can at least get an look at what is there. If you want to look at the entire pic right click it, open with, file viewer lite or paint. This will bring up the full sized pic.

rangerxp

Eight Pointer
I have 3 that are doing the same. I can use the EDIT feature and the original size will display while in EDIT mode.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I appreciate all of the suggested work-arounds, but I've already discovered those. I'm hoping to get to the root of the problem and fix the issue. As of right now, all of my Moultries are out of the woods and replaced by other brands. I hate to just throw these 8 cameras away. Four of them are relatively new. Moultrie knows they have a problem and are trying to shift the blame to the Photos App (which might be partially true). They said some of their customers had switched to "Cool File Viewer". I tried that and it does allow viewing the full picture, but is not an acceptable replacement. The Photos App is the only viewer I've found that allows me to just scroll through thousands of pictures without having to open each one individually.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I'm with you Billy. It worked fine before. Something changed. We just gotta find what that was, if possible, and set it back. I'm looking too.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I’m on an old PC with old cameras and it still happens. The camera card game is as much hunting as anything.
cheers.
mine just started this year with no updates and old cameras and cards.. who knows

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Could an update on your computer have caused the problem could try setting it back to a previous date

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had to give up on Moultrie cameras several years ago, because as the factory warranty department told me "they will only work with certain SD cards". Apparently I could not find the right kind of cards.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
It's the Photos app on Windows 10 since an upgrade. Took me several hours to figure it out but open them in the old Windows Photo Viewer and they work fine. Apparently there is a difference in Photos and Windows Photo Viewer. Worked on mine, hopefully will on everyone's.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks ZG. The pictures do open correctly using the old Windows Photo Viewer. I'm using a new computer and the old Windows Photo Viewer was not present, so I had to do a download and accept all the warnings that popped up while downloading. Moultrie said this was the case, but Moultrie shares some blame too, since pictures from Browning and Covert work perfectly with the new Photos App. I tried to make Microsoft aware of the problem with the Photos App, so maybe they'll fix it with the next update.

Thanks again. This indeed gives me a valid alternative for opening the photos.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
If you have Windows 10 that was upgraded from 7 or 8 it's probably on there, but on the newer laptops bought with 10 already installed the download is not for the average wanna be geek because you have to edit the register. A much easier solution is to go to the Micro Soft store and buy Photo Viewer Classic for $3.99. I did this on my newest laptop and it works great.

Had the same issue. I have Windows 10, so I just installed the latest upgrade, and it’s worked for me. As the guys said, the deal was not about the card. Actually, this issue ruined my plans then ‘cause I was about to print some family photos to put them in this frame https://www.frameshop.com.au/custom-picture-frames. But all went wrong, so I was really upset with that. Luckily the upgrade strategy worked, so it all works well. Anyway, guys, thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it. Keep us updated.