ISO quality reproduction deer skulls

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
I’ve got a few bucks that I have cut the horns off of before I got into getting them euro mounted. They are currently sitting on the “mountain mike’s” kits that look decent from across the room, but compared to real skulls side by side look completely cheesy. Google searching has led me to the taxidermy supply sites that have the traditional euro look that is flat on the bottom with no teeth, which looks fine when you put it on a Rac Plaque type stand that our fellow forum members make, that’s just not the way I want to go with these two bucks. I have found 2 companies that have a product that looks great in pictures. First one being Outlaw Skulls, which are reasonably priced and next one being Skulls by Klaus or something to that effect which have “museum quality reproductions” for about $250? Anybody know of any other companies that offer a reproduction skull with the pedicles and teeth?

hillbillypossum

Six Pointer
You be a lot better off getting you two nc skulls and notching them replace with your antlers and fill cuts with filler and whiten. If you can’t taxidermist can and they will look original.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Put a couple antlers on Mountain Mike's Reproduction. Pretty happy with the final product

Attachments

• 1642993036831.jpg
    1642993036831.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20220123_215613060.jpg
    IMG_20220123_215613060.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220123_215453486.jpg
    IMG_20220123_215453486.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220123_215506029.jpg
    IMG_20220123_215506029.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 28

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The Mountain Mike's Skulls that I have seen are bigger than your average NC deer but it appears that they have 2 or 3 different sizes now. The original size was mule deer size and they still say that the large whitetail is suitable for mule deer. They were too big for NC whitetails IMO. They now have a medium and a young buck but I have no experience with either of those.

HQ carries Pinchback Reproduction skulls that come in 3 sizes, Medium, Large and XLarge based on the diameter of the pedicle. When I was in the market for the occasional repro, the Pinchback skulls had better detail than Mountain Mike's but Pinchback did not have the teeth. They were flat on the bottom in the style of the true European mounts. Now, the Pinchback are complete upper skulls with teeth.

My personal opinion is that either of the above can be made to look OK at a distance but neither will have the detail of the real thing. Both will require some fit/finish work. If I had several to do now, I would probably get the appropriate size, one of each, to try and figure out which I like best before I bought a bunch of either one.