Is it Spring yet!

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Man I only wish. Been looking at calender for weeks for April may making plans figuring out days to take off work

Same. Saving up my vacation days for turkey season. Looking at turkey permit hunts. Loving the squirrel hunting, but there is nothing like the turkey hunting.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Same. Saving up my vacation days for turkey season. Looking at turkey permit hunts. Loving the squirrel hunting, but there is nothing like the turkey hunting.
Think I seen you in person county you may not need a permit there are some birds in that county but for sure some just east of you its only 3 day week but that can be an advantage if you don't get a good permit draw

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Think I seen you in person county you may not need a permit there are some birds in that county but for sure some just east of you its only 3 day week but that can be an advantage if you don't get a good permit draw

Really? Where'd you see me at?

Yes, I don't need a permit for the game lands here, but I am finding them crowded (at least Caswell Game Land and Hyco Game Land; haven't had a chance to really check out Mayo GL yet), so thinking of putting in for permit hunts. But maybe I should try them on the 3-day weekdays, you mean? I've only done a weekday hunt (small game) once and there was nobody there but me. That's definitely not a bad idea. Saturdays are crazy.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Really? Where'd you see me at?

Yes, I don't need a permit for the game lands here, but I am finding them crowded (at least Caswell Game Land and Hyco Game Land; haven't had a chance to really check out Mayo GL yet), so thinking of putting in for permit hunts. But maybe I should try them on the 3-day weekdays, you mean? I've only done a weekday hunt (small game) once and there was nobody there but me. That's definitely not a bad idea. Saturdays are crazy.
I was just referring to your post about being in person. Even though crowded at times Caswell is not horrible on a wed toward end season its decent size place to

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
We have to survive January & February first. March is a tease to make sure you have time to get your pattern right & gun sighted in and other gear lined up, ready to go. I plan to do some scouting after the deer season ends, just to see what's going on.

I saw a gang of turkeys off a field edge in the rain the other day as I was driving by. There's never any turkeys in those woods come Spring. Not sure why that is, but it happens the same way every year. It was great to see them and know they're in the area though.

Jim

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I just put in for turkey permit hunts on Sandhills, Butner-Falls-of-Neuse, and Dan River. Hope I get one, but if not, I might just convince myself to drive out to Asheville and hunt Pisgah or Nantahala. Will definitely have to get in shape for those mountains.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Seen a group of long beards today (6) while checking a few trail cams. Several were birds I know I worked last year. Still a ways out but I love that first gobble of the year!