Iowa preference point time...

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
Now you have me worried, me and a buddy are planning on going together, may need to apply as a party do we either both get drawn or neither....would suck for one to draw and not the other. Guess it’s getting tougher for NR to draw, I’m good with that if it keeps the quality high.

If you guys intend on traveling together the party hunt option is the way to go. They take the member of the party with the lowest number of points and assign the group that number for the drawing. They don’t add them together and divide

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the reminder.. was thinking it was tomorrow (would’ve been too late)

Just purchased my 4th point

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Good thing I checked this thread and saw today was the deadline, finally bought my first point. Barring point creep, my plan is to get 3-4 pts in order to draw zone 4 bow for a rut hunt then just hunt late season shotgun or muzzleloader hunts with as few as points as possible. Hunted just south of 4 last year in Missouri and saw some great bucks on both private while driving and public while hunting so looking forward to get a Iowa tag just north of that area in the future.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
If you’re hunting zone 4 and don’t have access to private land make sure you look hard at public options. There isn’t a lot of public in zone 4 at least in the area we were at. I looked in case we needed a plan B and found very little in the county we were in. Even public should have some great hunting at least compared to NC!

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
If you’re hunting zone 4 and don’t have access to private land make sure you look hard at public options. There isn’t a lot of public in zone 4 at least in the area we were at. I looked in case we needed a plan B and found very little in the county we were in. Even public should have some great hunting at least compared to NC!

I’ll be doing the public route, just my preference. Looked at their public ground atlas and found quite a bit near the Missouri border in zone 4 just north of where I hunted last year. Zone 3 has a lot along the river, saw a bunch of their signage while driving the interstate up to Nebraska the other year. If not for the flooding this year I might have tried to draw a gun tag in 3. I think I could do good hunting those river bottoms late season as long as I could find some places off the beaten path.