Iowa Preference Point time…

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I will be waiting until the last minute to apply.

Colorado elk draw is May 31-June 1. Gives me about a one week window. If I don’t get my elk tag then I will apply in Iowa for deer tag. If I get my elk tag then it’s point only again.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Yup and if the trend continues it’ll take at least 4 and maybe 5 pp to draw in the better zones. Looking at Iowa bow tag being a once every 5 or 6 year proposition.

thanks for the reminder! Even though we got out butts kicked this past fall I’m still looking forward to the next time.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yeah, I'm trying to decide on whether I am going for it again or not - may move on to another locale,,, getting tired of "points"

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
I have 3 pts. Not sure if I m going to mess with it anymore. Not sure where to go out there. Iowa is an expensive state to hunt

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Wish you could sell me your points… 👍
Auction em off. I’d break out the check book. It’s like no where else I’ve hunted. Love the country, deer and people. Could do without the fan that’s on 24/7 but just something you have to deal with.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got 4 points. Hoping this year will get drawn. We having been discussing other options. 5-6 years to draw. My group is 51-58 years old. Figure this one and maybe one more.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I had to just do preference point. Doctors at Duke felt Nov might be pushing it with cancer treatments. So got 5 now.

my family all got drawn. Hopefully I'll at least feel good enough to tag along
Let them scout it out for ya and you’ll be going into 2023 with good intel. What zone and did they apply as a party? Know some folks that didn’t draw in 2021 with 4 pts, zone 5 I believe (SE section)

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Let them scout it out for ya and you’ll be going into 2023 with good intel. What zone and did they apply as a party? Know some folks that didn’t draw in 2021 with 4 pts, zone 5 I believe (SE section)
Yeah both my family and my group had 4 points last year and didn't get drawn. Family got drawn this year so hopefully my group in next year. This is zone 5

I should be doing chemo during the time they out there. Im hoping if I feel like Im going out for 4-5 days just to hang out with them. They plan to be out there 3 weeks

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Just got my 1 measly point…. with intentions of giving it a go in 2029.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Bought mine, sitting on 4. Let a buddy pick between next year and 2025 and the plan is to apply in 2025 with 5 pts. One of zones 4-6 is what I’m thinking as of right now, need to deep dive into stats and info. After I burn these on an archery rut hunt my strategy for Iowa is going to be muzzleloader and shotgun season hunts every 1-3 years depending on how point creep continues to shake out there.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I went ahead and applied for late muzzleloader again. No pref points. I had a good time last year (sans the truck issues). Hope I can draw the tag again. While I would love to hunt the rut in Iowa, I’m not willing to wait 3-4 years to hunt. I’d rather hunt every year or every other year.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
If I could control the food on the farms I have access to, I’d opt for late season ML tag cause I can hunt with my bow then. I drew a regular bow tag in ‘14 passed a ton and had a giant get by me that wasn’t killed in shotgun or ML that year. I applied and drew tag in ‘15 for late season ML with high hopes. Had deer on camera in summer and during rut but got to late season and no food and he was nowhere to be seen. Found out he was killed about a mile away in standing corn with ML. It was a good hard lesson, that food is king when it’s cold.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
If I could control the food on the farms I have access to, I’d opt for late season ML tag cause I can hunt with my bow then. I drew a regular bow tag in ‘14 passed a ton and had a giant get by me that wasn’t killed in shotgun or ML that year. I applied and drew tag in ‘15 for late season ML with high hopes. Had deer on camera in summer and during rut but got to late season and no food and he was nowhere to be seen. Found out he was killed about a mile away in standing corn with ML. It was a good hard lesson, that food is king when it’s cold.
For sure. If a guy has cold and food, he has a great chance of punching his tag on a good one in those Midwest states with a late season. Ive seen multiples bruisers in a herd in a Southern Ohio green field during their late archery season in while working.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have a lease in Ohio that the whole season prep/dates are determined around what the farmer plants and when he harvest the crop.