Introductory saltwater equipment

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
For those that don’t know we recently moved to the OBX. Growing up in Hampstead I dis sine commercial fishing, but the vast majority of my hook and line experience was in freshwater. We could never really afford saltwater gear growing up.

that said, living in the OBX I want to do more saltwater fishing. What gear do you recommend on a budget and what freshwater stuff can I repurpose? Everything from rods, reels, line, and tackle.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Any bass fishing gear can be used inshore. For everything else your going to need to narrow it down. Surf fishing? Boat, trolling?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t pier fish but most surf stuff is suitable. The surf gear is wide open for options. You would also be surprised how many fish you can catch with a Carolina rig, mud minnow, heavy bass set up, just casting in sloughs on the beach. Heavy poles would range from 10’ to 14’+ hatteras heavers. Really just depends on your preference. Let’s go fishing and I’ll bring a range of gear to feel out.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
My favorite flounder/trout rod/reel is a 7-1/2’ light action ugly stick with a 2500 Sahara on it. Caught a pile of flounder with it.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
My favorite flounder/trout rod/reel is a 7-1/2’ light action ugly stick with a 2500 Sahara on it. Caught a pile of flounder with it.
And it will hold up to smoker Spanish if need be haha. I run 6500 abu Garcia ambassadors on 7ft ugly stick catfish majority of the time also have a couple spinning setups from light tackle on up.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t pier fish but most surf stuff is suitable. The surf gear is wide open for options. You would also be surprised how many fish you can catch with a Carolina rig, mud minnow, heavy bass set up, just casting in sloughs on the beach. Heavy poles would range from 10’ to 14’+ hatteras heavers. Really just depends on your preference. Let’s go fishing and I’ll bring a range of gear to feel out.
Let’s go!

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I like the Penn Prevail rods for surf fishing, have two in 9' and one 12'. They are @ $100 or less, most of the tackle shops carry them. Been really pleased with them and no problems so far. My son has two of them also.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Being some of my trips have been canceled this year it I plan to be at Cape Lookout fishing this October. We should all plan a meet up.
May spend 2 weeks on the island.

Be a good place to test equipment. You can try anything I have.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
They can still be beat, especially for surf fishing, and for not a lot more $$
Everything can be beat for a little more $$. Even the stuff you fish with.

It is all up to the person spending the money, what works for them and their needs. Not everyones needs and wants are the same.
If a person has confidence in it and it can catch them a fish then they have fun doing it, that sometimes is all that matters.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Everything can be beat for a little more $$. Even the stuff you fish with.

It is all up to the person spending the money, what works for them and their needs. Not everyones needs and wants are the same.
If a person has confidence in it and it can catch them a fish then they have fun doing it, that sometimes is all that matters.

Some can some can’t. I’ve spent the best that money can buy on some of my rods. Some I haven’t, but there are Ticas and Penns, and a few other brands within 10% especially if you shop around, that will do most grocery fishing a lot better than an ugly stick.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Some can some can’t. I’ve spent the best that money can buy on some of my rods. Some I haven’t, but there are Ticas and Penns, and a few other brands within 10% especially if you shop around, that will do most grocery fishing a lot better than an ugly stick.
Just remember the title of the OP thread.

"Introductory saltwater equipment"

"What gear do you recommend on a budget"

Nothing wrong with starting out on the lower end and working up to make sure the new hobby is for them.

Not everyone wants to or has the money to spend the best money can get or would see the difference in the cost to justify it.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
ugly stick

never liked them,,,for fresh or salt,,,,they just feel "heavy" in my hand when they first came out and that turned me off,,,,

have one,,,an ugly stick Tiger lite bottom fishing rod,,,came with two shimano Terez rods I bought used (bundle deal of three rods),,,that Tiger Lite doesn't have that heavy feeling, but the shimano's "feel" better to me

none of them are high dollar

bottom line,,,,go to a good fishing store and check them out,,,,a rod will "talk to you",,,

what freshwater stuff can I repurpose?

up until 20 years ago 100% of my "ocean fishing" was pier and nearshore with my father in law - and he/we 100% used our freshwater gear,,,,

just make sure to wash it down with sweet water when you get done,,,,

it's fishing,,,can get as complicated or simple as you want it

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I live in Colington.

I grew up fishing Kitty Hawk Bay and up to the canals that Sam Beacham owned back in the '70s, caught plenty of bass back in the day...A few years back I did some speckled trout fishing in that area as well...

As mentioned, any good bass rod is fine for speckled trout, stripers, puppy drum and flounder...I usually go with a 6'6 or 7 foot rod, medium action with a fast tip....I seldom spend more than $100 for a rod...

I use either 12 pound Trilene or a 20 pound braid with a 2-3 foot leader of 12-20 pound test....

I have a mix of Penn 4400s, Zebco Cardinal 4s as well as a couple of Diawas and Shimanos I picked up on sale for less than $100...

Enjoy the Outer Banks!!!

BiggestSpikeYouEverSeen

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm sure all of this has been said already but for inshore, I personally love to a 6'6" medium light rod with a Penn Fierce II or III spinning combo. Could probably go 2500 or 3500 depending on your liking. 12-20lb braid generally speaking as well. I prefer a circle hook with a short (30ish inch leader) coming off a two way swivel (I don't use braid for the leader). Sliding weight above that (size varies depending on what kind of water your fishing), I try to go as small as I can get away with. If the rod was going to double for occasional Pier fishing, maybe go a size up to 7' and stick to medium action but I wouldn't want anything bigger than that for inshore angling and that still may be a little light for pier fishing anyway.