internet "television"

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
So I don't watch enough TV to warrant the extra $40+/-bill/mo, but do have internet. What are some of options for "TV" through the net...I.e. Netflix, Hulu...

I'm only familiar with Netflix.

I know there is Hulu and Amazon Prime.I'm not overly familiar with either. Now that I live 1100mi from home, see myself using Amazon Prime for their shipping as we'll via sending birthday/Christmas presents and such.

Last edited:

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Let me start by saying I have a 60 LED smart tv and a ps4 and ps3 in a different room so its not as though I am an old man who doesnt keep up with technology or the world.
Likewise, I do Not have cable. This is what I do.

I watch the news every morning via my $40ish dollar hdtv antenna which gives me about 10-15 super hd channels. Later on I can watch Hulu or Netflix via the tv or the ps4. The ps4 works better than the tv, less buffering. My fiance and I pay for Hulu but not netflix, we just use my buddies account. Hulu is great for tv series, there are alot on it. Netflix has a lot of series too but has a lot more movies than hulu. I had Amazon prime for a little while but wasnt really impressed with it. At one time it had the original Grinch, that was about the 1 exclusive thing I liked about it. The trick to not having cable is getting into TV series shows like Breaking Bad,Park and Rec, Scandal, Walking Dead... you know, crap like that.. The 1 thing that will change you when not having cable..... is ESPN.. I am not a huge huge sports guy like some people but I still like to know who will be in the super bowl... When you are never exposed to sports on tv you become clueless unless you look online alot.

Personally if it was between Netflix Hulu and Amazon I would probably stay with Hulu. '

thats my 2cents.. been doing it a little over a year now...

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just some FYI about Amazon Prime as it relates to free 2-day shipping...it doesn't cover everything at all.
Only applies to those items which Amazon has bought / inventoried large quantities of to directly resell themselves.

With my Wife and I retired / no kids, we watch a lot less TV than years ago, grew tired of Time Warner's obscene cable costs and dumped it.
Couple indoor HDTV 50 mile antennas for all the major network channels, plus Netflix and Amazon Prime...don't miss cable a bit.
2 x $7.99 / month instead of almost $120 / month is nice too....and no mind numbing commercials !!

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah I have an HDTV antenna and get 47 or 48 channels....granted a lot are local public TV channels but I get news and weather.

Only thing I'll miss is current episodes of TWD once its back on this fall.

ako_deerking

Twelve Pointer
There are ways to keep up with the current TV shows. I watch them all the next day. I'm not a sports nut but do keep up to date via social media and such. I have Hulu and Netflix personally. Netflix for movies and Hulu for a lot of older and new TV shows.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I need to do something... Looking at the bill I'm just sick at the cost and the added things they charge for this and that.....

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Justin if you have internet you buy a Roku 3 and find more channels than you have time to watch free. Granted i subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime, they have tons of movies and regular television plus it seems that 99% of everything I buy from Amazon is covered by free Prime shipping. I save the $8.00 Amazon bill on just one or two shipments. The Roku will cost you $100 but its a one time cost and like I said, thee are more than you can watch. I watch westerns and content every night on the You Tube channel that is on the Roku 3 only. I subscribed to Hulu briefly about a year ago, I found it extremely hard to navigate.

Last edited:

Craig@NC

I need to do something... Looking at the bill I'm just sick at the cost and the added things they charge for this and that.....

I'm in the same frame of mind. I'd be very happy with just NetFlix and MLB TV but then again I might start a very small riot around here if I dump cable altogether. I'm tired of paying the bill when I don't think it's good value for the money.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
Justin if you have internet you buy a Roku 3 and find more channels than you have time to watch free. Granted i subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime, they have tons of movies and regular television plus it seems that 99% of everything I buy from Amazon is covered by free Prime shipping. I save the $8.00 Amazon bill on just one or two shipments. The Roku will cost you $100 but its a one time cost and like I said, thee are more than you can watch. I watch westerns and content every night on the You Tube channel that is on the Roku 3 only. I subscribed to Hulu briefly about a year ago, I found it extremely hard to navigate.

That's what we did,almost a year ago and have been very satisfied since. No more $108.59 to direct tv anymore.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I'm getting a Roku box that will let me watch shows I've downloaded to my server. If you can stand to wait a day after a show airs, you can find it online and download it. I use kickass.to to get my shows.

edad3

The Roku device works well for my needs. Reliable, easy. I do have an Amazon Prime account and I love it. Probably 80% of everything I buy I get from Amazon. The Prime TV benefit was just extra but I have really enjoyed watching full seasons of Justified, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, etc.

D1RICH1

Ten Pointer
I haven't had cable for 3 years. As far as sports go we have an apple tv with the ESPN app that I can watch most on . For superbowls and such we have a HD antenna as mentioned earlier that will catch sports on other channels. We also have Netflix (not the greatest selection) and Hulu (I don't watch it because of the commercials). We really don't miss anything.