Internet options?

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Right now we have Time Warner at the house with a phone line, basic cable package, and road runner internet and our last bill was $190. Maybe we're crazy, but we feel that 190 bucks a month for a telephone line, cable with 0 movie or sporting channels other than fox sports and ESPN, and Internet is RIDICULOUS. We can get tv and telephone from a lot of different places for waaaaayyyyy cheaper, but does anyone offer affordable high speed internet? Our time warner started at $45 per month, then $90 after our "promotional price" expired and it has worked it's way up to $190 over about 3 years. This crap has to go, but we have to have decent internet at home. Any ideas or experiences to share?

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
IMO there is no better, faster or more reliable internet for the money than cable internet. I ditched TWC years ago for everything but internet (I actually have that through Earthlink but I pay TWC and it is on their network)

mdunker

Ten Pointer
Unfortunately TWC is the best internet option. One option to look at is if your normal phone carrier has DSL. You may can get a promo offer from them. When that runs out switch back to TWC and play the promo game switching every two years.

There was another good option out there called Millenicom. They just went up on their costs $20. It used to be $59 for 20GB per month using Verizon's LTE network. It is now $79. It is portable which is nice. You can use it at your house but also travel with it when needed.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Call TWC and tell them you're gonna go somewhere else. They'll give you another promotional deal. We do that about every year. They'll keep giving you discounts to keep you there. Kind of makes you wonder why they don't just have realistic pricing anyway, but then again a lot of folks just pay their bill and don't think twice.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
What FD and LD said. No better internet service. Call them and tell them you are going to cancel or ask for a promotional rate. I've done this several times now.

Contenderv07

Six Pointer
do the above, and drop the phone. Get a magicjack... As much as we use our home phone, it was a no brainer to use our internet for it and only pay about $2.50/month

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
If you are calling TWC (or any internet, tv or sattelite providor) ask for "Retention" when they answer the phone. The person will try to help you but keep asking for retention until you get a person in THAT department. They have the authority to cut a deal and reduce your payments instantly. The other people can offer a "deal" that may last for a month or 2 then your bill will revert back to insanity.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Thank you all for the advise. I called and finally got to Customer Retention. They couldn't help much with the actual cost, only like 10 bucks less. But, I got a free dvr, a free extra set top box, the sports package, upgraded to turbo internet, new modem, and like 60 HD channels for no cost. They help you two ways: When you want to sign up and when you want to cancel; nowhere in between. But, help is help. Again, thank you all for the advise.