Installing choke tubes

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hey guys, need a recommendation for a good smith- looking at having screw in chokes installed in a Winchester 120 that was my grandfathers.Currently has a modified barrel.

Or at least seeing the cost difference versus buying a win choke barrel. From researching it seems the cost will vary depending if they have to cut the barrel down & thread,based on barrel thickness.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No personal experience, but another member highly recommended Chris Baker at MAD Customs in Lillington. 1401 N Main St.
919-639-4840

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No personal experience, but another member highly recommended Chris Baker at MAD Customs in Lillington. 1401 N Main St.
919-639-4840

I’m going to check with him, I was in there Friday talking to him about another project but didn’t think of the shotgun.. I know he told me he’s currently 4 weeks out on orders.. I would like to get this done before turkey season.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Last one I had done was 60$ it was cut and threaded. Not sure about just threaded if there is enough meat on the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That would save me some money if it’s still in that range. Winchoke barrels are $2-300 on eBay..

Lee

Six Pointer
$60 is about what I paid for the last cut and thread job. I had an H&R single shot cut down and threaded for the perfect walking shotgun.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So after alil research- FYI for those that may need this done in the future as well-

As of March/April 2019:

Granville Gunworks:$150

Anderson Creek Armory:$125

MAD Customs:$150

Double H guns: $75

There are a few other shops that will thread chokes, but was unable to reach them.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good information. I know MAD is in Lillington, but where is Double H Guns? Who did you choose?

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good information. I know MAD is in Lillington, but where is Double H Guns? Who did you choose?

Blanch,NC Caswell Co.. I’m going to go with Double H.. just ship the barrel over .

hayco10

Eight Pointer
Not wanting to highjack your thread but similar question, I have a 30” browning a-5 barrel with full choke fixed, non-vented smooth Belgium made in 1959. Could a smith cut and tread for browning ( or other, rem chokes, etc) choke tubes? Also need a site/beaded added as original is gone

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not wanting to highjack your thread but similar question, I have a 30” browning a-5 barrel with full choke fixed, non-vented smooth Belgium made in 1959. Could a smith cut and tread for browning ( or other, rem chokes, etc) choke tubes? Also need a site/beaded added as original is gone

It depends on the thickness of the barrel. What I was told is that Win-choke(browning invector,mossberg) minimum OD is .850,
.830 for truchoke. I “think” rem choke is around
.870 but sure about the other two. So throw a pair of calipers on & see. I would definitely verify with a smith.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
likely too thin on the old belgium made guns and a travesty to cut it anyway. I would find a japanese barrel and keep the original as is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hayco10

Eight Pointer
10 4, I have another barrel with a Polly choke that might be thick enough to have done.. Just don’t like the monstrosity sitting at end of barrel! Lol

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have had 4 browning A-5s done, all Belgian and all had to go to Briley for the thinwall chokes. They were all too thin for any "standard" or regular thinwall chokes.