Installing a stainless steel chimney liner and wood burning insert.

BigCountry40

Six Pointer
I have a chimney and a fire place that currently has a gas insert. I plan on installing a stainless steel chimney liner and a wood burning insert this summer. I have looked at liner installation videos and it looks fairly simple. Does anyone on here have an opinion or experience stalling a new insert or liners? Please share any concerns advice or etc with me. .

Jon

Southside

Ten Pointer
Will take 2 people for sure. The sections on what I have installed went together fairly easy and I started from the bottom and raised after each section although I Have seen it put in from the top. That may depend on if yours is going through a damper opening in a masonry chimney or through the framing of a wood framed chimney. Not sure what is offered now but you will want a triple walled liner unless thicker is available and then I'd get the thicker.
The supports and joint connection are the critical items. I would keep as much clearance with wood framing as possible although there is a minimum which is only a few inches or less. Get the stainless steel also. Most directions show some tips to make it easier

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We just put in a wood stove insert, but only went with a direct connect to a masonry chimney, not a full liner. We had to remove the damper and put in a seal-off plate.

The more information you can give about your chimney the better. I don't think you need any clearance with a triple wall pipe. I have seen them put in free standing wood stoves and go right up through the ceiling. Because cold air is drawn down into the outer layer, it is cool to the touch.

Mtns2hunt

I installed a stainless steel liner in a masonry/brick chimney. I had two options place the liner and fill with concrete or wrap the liner with insulation. I chose to wrap with insulation as I felt the concrete was too permanent. If anything went wrong with the concrete reinforced liner the only way to fix the liner was to install a smaller liner inside the original. I did not want to do that.

It took two of us to do the job. we lowered and connected from the roof. Took an hour to get all the tools together and connect the sections, apply the insulation and the netting to hold insulation in place. We applied the insulation and netting a section at a time. (Liner went from roof down to the basement).

I did not use an insert but hooked up to a regular wood stove (same procedure for both a stove or insert). The main chimney pipe is eight inches in diameter and is reduced to six inches at the stove. Provides awesome draft/pull. Have not had any problems what so ever with this set up. My stove is hooked up to the central air. I turn off the heat pump: switch a valve to direct forced air from the stove into the ducts and heat this way all winter.

It is, like all wood burning chimney's, very important to clean regularly. Dirt i.e. creosote and soot trap moisture and the liner is stainless steel but can still rust.

My stove/liner combo has been in use for five years now and is as good as new. I clean it myself with a rod and brushes purchased at Lowes. I also burn only oak, Hickory, and Locust. You may wish to be careful with the Hickory as it can burn very hot. However, with these three woods I get next to no fouling of the chimney.

Good luck with your project - you will like the results!