Inshore Rods?

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I kayak fish inshore a couple times a year and usually borrow a buddy's inshore setup (he was originally from the coast) when I do. I've decided to make a couple more trips this year and I wanted to build a couple inshore setup's to always have. I recently bought a couple Shimano Sienna reels but am now looking for rods to suit. Is there any reason why I can't but a couple Lightning Rods or Ugly Stick's to use with these reels? I am not wanting to break the bank as I won't use them but a few times a year. Any guidance here would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Ugly stick Inshore select rods have done me good. Picked up some and this is my second year with them..about 60 to 70$

They are lots lighter than one would think and have a good feel to them.
Would rate them with some of the St Croix rods that cost more.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
a good fisherman can use any equipment and get by. From your pic and your posts we know you can get by with a low end spinning rod just fine. :)

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
if you want to step up a bit , Shimano Teramar southeast rods are about $ 110 ...
either way probably want at least 7' or 7 1/2' rod to work around your kayak...

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Ugly stick Inshore select rods have done me good. Picked up some and this is my second year with them..about 60 to 70$

They are lots lighter than one would think and have a good feel to them.
Would rate them with some of the St Croix rods that cost more.

Those are what I've been eyeballing. Thanks!

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I kayak fish inshore a couple times a year and usually borrow a buddy's inshore setup (he was originally from the coast) when I do. I've decided to make a couple more trips this year and I wanted to build a couple inshore setup's to always have. I recently bought a couple Shimano Sienna reels but am now looking for rods to suit. Is there any reason why I can't but a couple Lightning Rods or Ugly Stick's to use with these reels? I am not wanting to break the bank as I won't use them but a few times a year. Any guidance here would really be appreciated. Thanks.
fishing from a kayak you can use a lighter outfit. The kayak adds a lot of drag. I'm not an ugly stick fan, too stiff for.my liking but a good durable rod. inwould genworth what feels right in your hands.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
a good fisherman can use any equipment and get by. From your pic and your posts we know you can get by with a low end spinning rod just fine. :)

Lol. I will say the first time I took my kayak into the marsh, I completed the inshore slam and I was hooked. I found that fishing in the marsh really isn't much different than fishing mountain streams and vice versa. Figure out the current, find the eddies, find cover, find the bait fish, etc, and you'll find fish. I love every bit of it!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Lol. I will say the first time I took my kayak into the marsh, I completed the inshore slam and I was hooked. I found that fishing in the marsh really isn't much different than fishing mountain streams and vice versa. Figure out the current, find the eddies, find cover, find the bait fish, etc, and you'll find fish. I love every bit of it!
i used to sell custom built rods and have used that line for years to get folks to consider the value of "better" rods.
No you dont "need" them but they can be a value.
I agree with the saltwater sentiments. I rarely go but really enjoy it. I am all about" pullage" and that's the place for that.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I agree with the saltwater sentiments. I rarely go but really enjoy it. I am all about" pullage" and that's the place for that.

I can't speak for all of saltwater or even fishing larger bodies of inshore water, but the marshes weren't much different than river fishing for me, except that I spook a crap ton of Red's in my kayak. Haha!

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
For about $100 you can get a St. Croix Triumph. While I appreciate the value of the Ugly Stick Inshore, these St. Croix rods feel much better to me. For the price of a pizza more that an Ugly Stick, you can step up to this well-balanced American-made rod with a lifetime warranty.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
For about $100 you can get a St. Croix Triumph. While I appreciate the value of the Ugly Stick Inshore, these St. Croix rods feel much better to me. For the price of a pizza more that an Ugly Stick, you can step up to this well-balanced American-made rod with a lifetime warranty.

Having several St Croix, the 120$ and 170$ price range rods and up I found the Ugly stix to be as good or better to the triumph.
BTW the Triumph is made in Mexico.
If you move up to the Mojo they are 130 140 range still made in Mexico but a better rod. Good rod, I own one but not worth the 2 times to cost.
Also only a 5 year warranty. Not lifetime.

Attachments

• 1584452808556-1914433913.jpg
    1584452808556-1914433913.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 15844528878102039842802.jpg
    15844528878102039842802.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 10

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Individual tastes differ. To me the Triumph felt like a wand compared to the Ugly Stick Inshore. Well worth the extra few bucks. The OP can decide for himself...
100% agree. Just wanted to make sure people had the current info on the rods.
Years back when I first got some of the St Croix rods they All were made in the USA and also all had a no BS warranty. Times have changed.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I have a couple of very expensive rods I use for inshore fishing. Different brands. My go to for extras on the boat are Ugly Sticks. Because the performance is still quite good and they are tough enough to survive being crammed in the shed of slammed in the tailgate or stepped on. I take a lot of newbies fishing and it is just easier. And when I have to grab one I don't hate it.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Sometimes you can find deals on US made St Croix and Loomis rods on ebay

That said I have a Cabelas brand rod I use. Don’t know if they make them anymore but it wasn’t that expensive. China made of course.

It says Salt Striker rod

Last edited:

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
Anybody have any experience with the Tsunami rods? Was looking at them at BPS the other day. Are they worth $110?

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
I am real happy with BPS extreme rods, but haven't see them lately, name change ? How long have Tsunami been around ?
also thought I saw their Bionic Blade rods on sale for $50, I own a couple of each , good rods IMO ,
but maybe not ' saltwater" rods ?

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yes have a few of those.

10 and 11' if I recall surf casting. Very nice and really light, good.ballance.

Mine are the airwave if I recall. My oldest is 10 years.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
Yes, I was looking at a Tsunami Airwave. Liked the feel of it, just not familiar with the brand.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yes, I was looking at a Tsunami Airwave. Liked the feel of it, just not familiar with the brand.
just saw one on craigslist. eastern nc. in greenville. 7ft. up to 1\2 ounce 6-12lb. I think. $175

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
I take my kayak down to the marsh a couple times a year. I've got a pair of 2 piece 7ft Lightning Rods with Diawa Revros 3000 series reels. I rig one with a jig head and Berkley swimming mullet. The other I rig with a Mirolure. That's what I use 90% of the time. I also wash everything down at the end of the day, and then take the reels apart and oil when I get back from the coast.