Inshore Fishing Rod. Mojo Inshore?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Whats a good inshore rod in the 7.5' range for drum, blue, and others. Surf and boat. Plan to go after some big drum this fall with a guide.
Looking a spinner without spending a ton.
Have been looking Saint Croix Mojo Inshore they sell for 149$
Had used the Mojo casting 711 rod and it was great although designed under the Bass usage before they had inshore rods.
Thinking I need Med heavy to heavy fast action.
Thoughts?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Mine is 7’ med action falcon with a 3500 Shimano 20# braid. Leader depends on fish.
Then a 6’6” ugly stick and a 400 Shimano Calcutta casting for big drum. Casting inshore and surf. I have one 8’ surf combo that I rarely use unless the monster blues or drum are in.
My salty stuff are less expensive gear than my bass stuff. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
What ugly Stix?
G2X or inshore?
Have the Tiger ELite just a little heavy and action is lacking for that use is my thought.

witler

Eight Pointer
As already mentioned , Penn Battalion of different sizes are matched to all my reels. My problem with Ugly Sticks is the weight, especially if holding and casting all day.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Spend the cash and buy a loomis....I have one of the G6X rods in the heavy 8 foot version and have caught all kinds of fish with it. From tarpon to grouper to blackfin tuna to Kong’s and dolphin with it....that rod is just a beast and would be perfect for what you are looking to do.
I have a couple of st croix rods, and they are good rods, but honestly not even in the same class as the g loomis I have

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I hated Penn for about a decade but the Penn Battle 2 combo rocks. Great setup for casting heavy lures at the beach too.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Spend the cash and buy a loomis....I have one of the G6X rods in the heavy 8 foot version and have caught all kinds of fish with it. From tarpon to grouper to blackfin tuna to Kong’s and dolphin with it....that rod is just a beast and would be perfect for what you are looking to do.
I have a couple of st croix rods, and they are good rods, but honestly not even in the same class as the g loomis I have

Not finding a G6X

You talking about the E6X-966s-MF inshore salt?

Who in NC carry them. Not sure I want to risk shipping an 8' one pc.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Not finding a G6X

You talking about the E6X-966s-MF inshore salt?

Who in NC carry them. Not sure I want to risk shipping an 8' one pc.

That maybe the one. I can check tonight when I get home. Nuese sport shop in Kinston carries them, EZ bait n tackle in Goldsboro carries them as well. Not sure about the Raleigh area.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Cool thanks.
That was the only one I could find that looked to fit the bill for weight and type.

May make a ride this weekend to check them out. Looks like they are in the 240$ range.

Looked at the Penn.... What a waste they put a gimbal end on their heavy rods for a spinning rod. Cant go there.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
b50afb32607c02d466d32f3b788005a8.jpg
783f61df0cc3105d5229be55654bb3c6.jpg

This is the one I have. I have a Daiwa BG 4000 on it with braid and a top shot and it has caught a ton of fish. I have used it slow pitching down in the gulf and around the dry tortugas to offshore here pitching jigs to cocoa to big drum in the nuese river and have yet to be in a situation where I felt like I needed more rod.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Guess I need to stop in at Neuse or EZ.
Called both and Neuse said they do not know if they have it and too many rods to look.
EZ still has not called back said they would look and call.

If anyone is heading that way post up if they have them in stock. Would like to know before I make the drive.
I will owe you a beer.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t think nuese will have that model in stock. They have a few but not that particular model. EZ maybe your best bet. Not sure if Tex’s or intercoastal angler in Wilmington are loomis dealers

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah I have ordered probably 10 or more 8 ft rods from charkbait over in California and have never had an issue with a single rod being broken. Granted those guys know how to pack a rod to ship. It might not be cheap, cause fedex and ups have jacked their rates up on oversized items substantially over the last couple of years