Injuries from excessive Bow shooting

Smarr28

Spike
Has anyone hurt their shoulders from excessive bow shooting/working out? If so, how long was your recovery and did you need to be seen by a doctor? New to the archery seen, and I believe I may have over done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
No mention of your draw weight, but if you struggle to pull your bow you've got too much. Most archers make shots shorter than 40 yards, most within 25 yards. Today's technology has made shooting low weight bows much more efficient. In a seated position you should be able to smoothly pull back your bow without straining and jerking. In my thirty's I pulled 70 lbs. Now in my sixty's I pull 55 lbs. No pains, no struggles, no problems.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
In my younger days I would develop tendinitis or bursitis from shooting too much. That was back when it wasn't uncommon for me to shoot a couple hundred arrows a day. Normally, I would take a couple weeks off from shooting, keep up a good rotation of anti-inflammatories and do some stretching/band workouts and that would help it go away.

Now, I am smart about my shooting. I never shoot more than 25 arrows in a practice session. No need for anymore than that.

Infamous1

Eight Pointer
Guy that taught me alot about bows always sat down in a chair, knees together and drew the bow after several shots. Thats how I do it also. I draw 52lbs on a compound and have taken several deer at that weight. I use a decoy in my back yard and try to shoot a dozen arrows a day every day off of my elevated front porch when I am ramping up to bow season. Usually takes me some tiger balm, advil and a few days off when I overdo it.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I missed the entire bow season last year due to a shoulder injury. I mostly shoot recurve bows and had been in the habit of shooting 30-100 arrows nearly every day for about half of the year and a bit less often the rest of the year. My injury happened not from shooting but from wrangling our sheep that we raise. At any rate, even lifting a 3 pond recurve to shooting position hurt way too much to even think of drawing it. As the bow season was almost over I went to see a massage therapist. I went 5 times over 5 weeks and she fixed me! Those 5 visits were followed by 3 or 4 more spaced 2 weeks apart and now I have full range of motion and am shooting my bows again. I have, however, limited each session to about 3 dozen shots at most and sometimes only 12 shots.... just to not risk overworking the shoulder. I would add that my compound is set at only 50 lbs and none of my recurves are over 45- most being around 40lbs.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm fighting a complete shoulder replacement right now. It was most likely induced by years of shoving metal panels over my shoulders up roof planes by myself but 6 years of shooting competitively with a longbow probably didn't help it any.....

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I don’t think I’ve ever hurt myself from archery practice, other than the time a broadhead clipped my finger. Although, I’ve been putting about 300 rounds a week through my 12ga on the skeet range, and I think I’ve done something to my wrist.

np307

Ten Pointer
Has anyone hurt their shoulders from excessive bow shooting/working out? If so, how long was your recovery and did you need to be seen by a doctor? New to the archery seen, and I believe I may have over done it.

I had a little mishap drawing back where I stopped short and had the string jerk forward. It didn't feel great but I shot a couple more arrows and they were wildly off target so I quit shooting for the day. Didn't shoot for a week because my shoulder was stiff. Reminded me of the winter throwing sessions when I played baseball. Thankfully nothing worth seeing a doc about and I'm back to shooting now.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I shoot about 100 arrows per session twice per week from my recurves. From fall to Feb, with a 35 lb draw weight, from March to fall with a 55 lb draw weight. Add in about 30 arrows per week from my 65 lb compound. Also lift fairly heavy 3x per week. I may feel sore or tired, but thank God, no injuries that keep me from shooting.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
if you are new to the sport and already sore I assume you are shooting a weight that is a little too high. if you was a reasonable weight you shouldnt have any issues unless you had a pre-existing issue with that shoulder already. If that is the case you might want to give a crossbow a shot.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

I was shooting too much weight and decided to do continuous curls to build up.
that one extra curl one day stretched a tendon in my elbow that i can now feel come across the bone every time i flex it. Hurt like hell then, no pain now.
Point is you can over do anything be it shooting or working out.
though you can argue that they should be illegal for all but handicapped and youngsters xbows do give you the close range adventure with less physical complications.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This may go without saying but make sure you are using proper technique also. It may not just be the draw weight, but how you are pulling it back. I know when i first started shooting bows i was flat out doing it wrong until i had some guidance.

Slong

Four Pointer
I tore my rotator cuff while holding a on a deer. Had no idea what popped in my shoulder but it hurt. Likely that it was ready due to years of abuse. Also gave me an excuse for a xbow.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I did about 2 months of physical therapy for a slightly torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder about 8 years ago. It was from bowfishing so much. I was going 3-4 times a week and I’d say averaged pulling bow back 175-200 times every trip. Last year, had rotator cuff surgically repaired and now currently, my AC joint is packed with cortisone due to arthritis in it. I honestly think all my right shoulder issues came from bowfishing........a lot........

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Due to my shoulder and back problems, I only shoot my bow about 10 times before the season,make sure pins are right and have confidence, I also,he nt more,with a crossbow.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
One of the best ways to improve your archery shooting is to strengthen your upper back. The best exercises for your upper back are pullups and inverted rows. They also hit your shoulders and biceps.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had recurring tendonitis in my elbow from shooting my recurve 50-70 times a day. I found out that's too many shots, and I just had to quit completely for a long time. It's hard to stop with a recurve, when you know just one more round and you can bury them all in the zone.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I simply don’t shoot that much anymore. I generally shoot like crazy the first year I have a bow. But once I learn it, there’s no point in shooting that much.

My practice for this year started last week. I shoot one arrow per day from 60 yards, then I go back in the house.

You must take care firstly about your health and if you feel that you can't handle your bow then better don't try to shoot with it and train more your body. In my thirties, I can pull 75 lbs, and don't feel any pain in my shoulders or back, also it of course helps me in arching. Even if I prefer more to use rifles when I am going hunting I also like to shoot from bow sometimes. I am not a professional shooter from the bow, but I would like to train more and become greater in this. Now I am looking for a good stabilizer because I would like to feel the bow more firmly in my hands. I have seen a lot of models on https://hibipod.com/best-bow-stabilizer-reviews/, but can't choose the best one. Can you please help me?

Last edited:

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’ve bought stabilizers based on different criteria - price, camo pattern, aesthetics, length, weight. Not good.
Now, I start with what I want in front to back balance, then vibe damping, And this fits in something less than what will be too long and expensive.
Maybe too, start a new thread and you’ll get more input.👍

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve had both shoulders operated on. They’re both as good as new, now.

Only an ortho and you can determine if it’s damaged enough for you to require surgery or rehab. Way too subjective.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Back in the day. I used to lift heavy. 350 lbs on the bench. Then I broke my neck in 3 places. Shoulder has been worked on once and neck has had 2 surgeries by the best doc at Duke. Now I lift lighter, because of that and age. If your injury is not better on a few weeks I would see a doc. Earlier would be good too cause you can show him/her better where the pain is.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Injured my shoulder years ago because of pull weigh to heavy beginning of season....should start off like 45-50 lb and work up to where you like to pull when season starts. Took me months to get to where no more pain. Now, if it any strain at all, I back the poundage down and slowly work up to avoid any injury. Don't take but one pull to cause an injury....can be avoided if you start low.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
One tip I’ve learned is to stretch some before shooting at the range. Getting everything loose really helps.

It’s not an option in the tree, but I normally stretch and take a couple practice shots before walking in for afternoon hunts.

justwin24

Six Pointer
I messed up my shoulder when I first started shooting bow. Too much weight, too much shooting. If I held my arm straight out at 90 degree angle I could not twist my elbow so my palm would turn all the way up. It took me about 6 months to fully heal.