Indy Road

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Watched every lap of this fiasco. Definitely feel Tyler and team did everything needed to win starting yesterday.

But GOOD GAWD what a STUPID design going into turn 1!!!!

Why not narrow it down so it's only 2 wide or not make it such a hard 90 degree turn at the end of the front stretch?!?!?!

Logano's an idiot. Same with Chastain. I was like WTF did he come from?!?!?!? LOL.

Blaney looked pure T miserable.

Very curious why #5 didn't give a post race interview. Glad both and and Ty are OK! That was a spooky looking crash!!!!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I"m sure I'll be in the minority here but that isn't unusual for me and racing comments. Chastain made a brilliant move. I don't know all the intracacies of the NASCAR rule book but I think this one came out of the Race Director's butt. Chastain knew there was no way he was going to make it through turn 1 with the everything beside and behind him going to his inside so he decided to take the "penalty lane" and avoid a collision. That was a longer way around than staying on the circuit and the fact that he came out in front of Riddick is remarkable. The battle between he and Riddick was some of the best racing all day long but if anyone thought he could hold Riddick off they were nuts. Riddick had the car all day long, no doubt, and got a well won victory. But to put Chastain a lap down was overkill on NASCARs part. It seem they are on the "Teach Chastain a Lesson" bandwagon. I just hate Elliott got caught up in someone elses mess as well but like Brian said, that turn 1 design leaves a lot to be desired.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I didn't understand the turn 1 at the end of a long straight away. That was a hell of a hit for the 5 car. I wouldn't want to give an interview after that either. What was he going to say, Hey, I'm an idiot.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
kudo's to ross for trying, but aint no way nascar was gonna let anybody get by with that unless they were truly pushed out of the track at the point of entry.....he just forced a new rule next time they come to that track...

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I just read that they had stated in the driver's meeting that if you missed turn 1 and a number of others you were required to do a stop and go at turn 12 that lap. It resulted in a 30 sec. penalty and Austin Dillon got one too.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I've got nothing against maximizing from existing rules. I just can't imagine advancing your position by a bunch while going off track.

Remember when kziki at Bristol picked the LAST stall after the timing line when there were only two? Next race had a BUNCH of timing lines lol.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I didn't understand the turn 1 at the end of a long straight away. That was a hell of a hit for the 5 car. I wouldn't want to give an interview after that either. What was he going to say, Hey, I'm an idiot.

i stand corrected!....HMS says after going over the car there were no malfunctions.....hard data shows the same.....so idiot he is!!...lol....

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i stand corrected!....HMS says after going over the car there were no malfunctions.....hard data shows the same.....so idiot he is!!...lol....
I would like to call him that, but there had to be some sort of malfunction for him to fly in there like that. Then again, the lack of interview afterwards might be a indication that he just screwed up.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
The fact that HMS said there was no mechanical issue is kind of troubling to my thinking. Larson is an experienced and smart driver. The other 2 cars were already in the turn before he even comes into the picture and he is moving probably twice as fast as they are going if not more. I had to go back and watch the whole thing again is slo-mo just to make sure I remembered what I had seen. There is no sign of lockup on the tires. The only smoke coming from the tires is a wisp as the car is turning, from the sliding sideways. It was impossible for Larson to make that turn from the position and speed, even if there were no other cars present. He would have ended up across the grass and across the next access road. I just don't see him making that kind of mistake.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
The fact that HMS said there was no mechanical issue is kind of troubling to my thinking. Larson is an experienced and smart driver. The other 2 cars were already in the turn before he even comes into the picture and he is moving probably twice as fast as they are going if not more. I had to go back and watch the whole thing again is slo-mo just to make sure I remembered what I had seen. There is no sign of lockup on the tires. The only smoke coming from the tires is a wisp as the car is turning, from the sliding sideways. It was impossible for Larson to make that turn from the position and speed, even if there were no other cars present. He would have ended up across the grass and across the next access road. I just don't see him making that kind of mistake.

i blame gremlins in this new car....thing can be a handful even for experienced drivers....

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
and how do you tell what was broke before that crash
The way I understand it is the telemetry data is stored and made accessible by NASCAR for all the teams and all the cars... So I assume they could look at the data from that portion of the race and see Larson's speed, brake pressure, rpm all that stuff and determine if it was driver error or a mechanical failure.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
If anyone still has the incident on tape, go back and look in slo-mo. If there was any pressure on the brake peddle there is no indication of it at the tires. I'm not saying Larson can't make a mistake but the speed into that turn was insane. A bonified idiot would ot try it at that speed.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
If anyone still has the incident on tape, go back and look in slo-mo. If there was any pressure on the brake peddle there is no indication of it at the tires. I'm not saying Larson can't make a mistake but the speed into that turn was insane. A bonified idiot would ot try it at that speed.

There is no way he could of made that turn at that speed. If there was no mechanical failure reason then it had to be some BS way of bouncing off a car to make the turn he did on this I racing video game BS. Ive seen him put it up against the wall and floor it before.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
He said on the radio he didnt know what happened....went to check on Ty....tonight on racehub they showed the wreck but chad was on and had nothing to say....

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I guess it's possible he was texting before the turn? Forgot what part of the track he was on (but at the end of the LONGEST straightaway???)? Maybe his foot slipped off the brake pedal?

Like LTS stated, no way Larson THOUGHT he could make that turn at that speed. If he screwed up so be it. Glad and and Ty are unhurt physically.

cwcook68

Eight Pointer
I’m thinking they were experimenting with something and it went wrong and he’s the scapegoat. That way they don don’t get busted for the experimental part or parts.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
In a crash that serious, couldn't nascar just impound the car to check it out under the guise of safey?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Rick Hendrick didn’t give NASCAR permission to do that .
Dude......Rick Hendrick survived bone cancer......at home... RIGHT AFTER becoming a felon, but RIGHT BEFORE being sentenced. Give the man his due! How many other people can claim such achievements?