In your opinion...is this doe sick?

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I tried zooming in on the doe but the pic gets fuzzy. She might be getting old and not maintaining her weight is what I'm thinking.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Think you will find she’s old. If she was sick I don’t think she would have already completed molting. May have tapeworm but that’s about it.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ok, I do have a fawn in the area. Spots are almost gone. Maybe she is an old nanny drawn down from nursing. That photo just had me wondering. After looking back at other photos I think you guys are spot on. I just didn't put 2 and 2 together. I'm still new at all this.

spypoint_68766404847985.jpg

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I've got to watch a couple nanny's, 2 with twins and 1 with a single, outside mine and my Dad's house, eating off the apples, pears and persimmons. All the fawns are still spotted.

The twin holders definitely can stand to put some meat on (before I shoot them).

So seeing ribs this time of year wouldn't be too out of the ordinary for a female meat sack.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree, she's pretty old. Older does tend to lose that sleek/smooth appearance and being to look more lumpy. Hip bones stick out more, stuff sags.

That said, I had a couple that were sick last year, and they didn't look far off from the condition of that deer. Ribs begin to show heavily, and that pocket in front of the hams gets deeper and deeper.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I agree, she's pretty old. Older does tend to lose that sleek/smooth appearance and being to look more lumpy. Hip bones stick out more, stuff sags.
Just like older...nevermind...

IMO, she looks like she might have been sick and is on the mend. But her coat and her general carriage (from the few pictures you provided) seem fine and if I had to guess she's just older or has been nursing.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
"Supposedly" mature does are supposed to be better mothers. I try to let them go and shoot yearling does (1.5) and spikes. :)