In shock!

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have four puppies that were six weeks old yesterday. Been worming with a pyrantel pamoate 2-5 weeks. Well, it's time for the first shots. I decided to get them from Tractor Supply instead of ordering them from Jeffers. I usually order them from Jeffers, but being only 4 pups I said what the heck, with shipping it will be close to the same price. That was a mistake 5-way shot was little over $10 each and the Safegard Liquid Goat Wormer (125 ml) was 29.99. What? I almost told the manager to put that stuff back up. I really thought about it; however, I decided it was too pretty of an afternoon not to give the pups a shot. Convenience won out, being I knew with shipping it would likely be Tuesday before I could get the shots, being they have to be shipped over night/next day. No, doubt I would have saved money if I would have just ordered them from Jeffers, little long if I would have went ahead and ordered all the shots and wormer I needed. That would include the cooler and additional ice packs too. I will order the rest from them or some other vet supply that's for sure.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, I have one young dog here and got a dose of their new pricing. I opted to swing by my vet. He was actually a little cheaper to just buy the shots I needed and take them home and administer them myself.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, I have one young dog here and got a dose of their new pricing. I opted to swing by my vet. He was actually a little cheaper to just buy the shots I needed and take them home and administer them myself.

You must have an awesome vet. I like the one I go too, but I doubt they would let me do that. They really don't like me giving the hounds the shots. Some are worse than others, the one I go to seems to be OK with hounds and hunting. Some here you can tell really don't like it, glad I finally found one that is not like that. There were hound friendly vets around here, most have retired now though.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You must have an awesome vet. I like the one I go too, but I doubt they would let me do that. They really don't like me giving the hounds the shots. Some are worse than others, the one I go to seems to be OK with hounds and hunting. Some here you can tell really don't like it, glad I finally found one that is not like that. There were hound friendly vets around here, most have retired now though.
Old school, he is older than I am and has about as many ailments. He is beginning to slow down and isn't there all the time anymore. One of the vets that is in there with him is a carbon copy of him, the other is a lady and it is already marked on my account "do not see" we locked horns and if she is the only one there when one of my animals need a vet I will go elsewhere or I will just put a bullet in the poor dog.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Old school,
exactly

we had one in Raeford,,,great fellow,,,would honor what I did with my mutts and come out to give shots to my beagles etc "from the box",,,,he retired and the folks who came next are why my docs are now in Scotland and Robeson counties,,,

there are many veterinarians who don't agree with dogs hunting in partnership with their humans,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
exactly

we had one in Raeford,,,great fellow,,,would honor what I did with my mutts and come out to give shots to my beagles etc "from the box",,,,he retired and the folks who came next are why my docs are now in Scotland and Robeson counties,,,

there are many veterinarians who don't agree with dogs hunting in partnership with their humans,,,
Yep, this one comes out and gives them in the box. One handed and the dogs have the shots before they know it. He is a dying breed and has been an asset to our community for years.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
There is such a high mark up by stores on stuff like this. Finding a Vet now adays that realizes how much money hunters have in there hounds is hard they would much rather deal with someones lap dog.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have you guys checked local tractor supply stores. Our local ones have vets that come in on weekend for routine items. That’s where I have been going for shots and such. They are not cheap, but much more reasonable than the store vets.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The ones that go to the two Tractor Supplies close to me are lap dog vets and I would wouldn't patronize them if they did it for free.

Yes, I am that stubborn and that big of an ass. They charge 3X the prices my vet does plus a set fee for an office visit and will not recognize any vaccinations you administer at home even if you document the date and have the vaccine # off the bottles. I keep all this info in a binder on each of my dogs. Yet even though it is good enough for the state it isn't for them.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Gotcha.

It costs me about $20 per visit per dog. Generic look over and the shots they need. No office fee. They always give you some type of bag of food. Usually the blue buffalo or some other small bag of high end food. Works pretty well for a person that may only have 1-2 dogs.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Gotcha.

It costs me about $20 per visit per dog. Generic look over and the shots they need. No office fee. They always give you some type of bag of food. Usually the blue buffalo or some other small bag of high end food. Works pretty well for a person that may only have 1-2 dogs.
I guess I am still raw over a visit to one a couple years or so ago. I had a guy bring a female in here to breed to my stud dog as a last minute thing. He was old and I was breeding him artificially only, taking him to my vet and having him drawn and then him inseminating the female.

Like I said this was not a planned breeding and the guy hadn't given me an advanced notice. He had driven several hundred miles and my vet was not in. I called one of the vets I had talked about earlier and they said sure, they would be glad to do it. We loaded up and went there. Well, first off the guy that brought his female in forgot to bring his proof of vaccinations from his state, my vet would have just called his vet and verified, nope not this place. They refused, and would only do the procedure if they did all vaccinations. Of course I had all my proof of vaccinations but they wouldn't honor them and they gigged me for all vaccinations. Between gigging for two dogs for all vaccinations, drawing my male, inseminating the female and two office visits it was $350. That same procedure at my vet would have been $40.

• Wow
Reactions: DRS