In Memoriam - Dogs

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I didn't want to hijack the other thread so I'm starting this thread as a spot to recognize dogs that you have lost.

IMG_2231.jpg

I'll start off. These two dogs were my cockapoos that we got when my kids were young. The black one was Hershey that we got first. He was put down this past November, one week short of his 17th birthday. The light colored one was Lacey. We got her later from the same breeder. She was half sister to Hershey, having the same father. She was put down last April at 15.5 years old.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I still dearly miss Dakota. We had to put him down in 2013 at 10-1/2 yo due to multiple health issues. I could show him 1-5 on my hand in any order and he would bark the number. He is laser locked on that ball .... throw it, please throw it now haha.
59929_10200369323731046_591425528_n.jpgIMG_0003 (1).JPG

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I still dearly miss Dakota. We had to put him down in 2013 at 10-1/2 yo due to multiple health issues. I could show him 1-5 on my hand in any order and he would bark the number. He is laser locked on that ball .... throw it, please throw it now haha.
View attachment 83359View attachment 83360

My neighbor had a dog just like that. He would let it out the front door every morning to fetch the newspaper in his driveway.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have had several that I have thought a lot of. This one left 1 Jan three years ago and it is just as raw as it was the day he left.

He was just average as far as performance as a hunting dog but he gave it 1000% every time. Where he excelled was looking after this place, especially my wife and to a lesser point me. No one or anything was going to mess with my wife as long as he drew a breath. Fittingly he died in her arms. I know he died happy. 038C14AD-4AF8-467C-8C01-268871A52747.jpeg1049CA35-9A34-42E6-A8E1-17B96231B6B5.jpeg

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I have to many to list. But one that still hurts as the day we lost him. Ol Turbo. I can’t even feed the other hounds or even step in the woods with out thinking about him. The best dog anyone could ask for. He was a killer in the woods and a protector and always starved for attention when the kids were around. The best dog I’ve ever had and I don’t know that I’ll ever have another to compare to him. CC6FBA8A-787F-4A13-9486-B886181FEAE5.jpeg6AC07BC8-52B3-42A7-9B54-2F5455854A69.jpeg

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I have to many to list. But one that still hurts as the day we lost him. Ol Turbo. I can’t even feed the other hounds or even step in the woods with out thinking about him. The best dog anyone could ask for. He was a killer in the woods and a protector and always starved for attention when the kids were around. The best dog I’ve ever had and I don’t know that I’ll ever have another to compare to him. View attachment 83370View attachment 83371
I can back you up 100% on everything you wrote

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Ryder. He was the first dog that was my own right out of college. An English lab that was gifted to me by my buddy who had his sire. We did just about everything together. I trained him to be a respectable gun dog and he trained me in more ways than I realized.
After a long battle with a nasal tumor I made the hardest decision of my life to put him down, in my lap at home 1/13/20
0A8B82B6-6F94-45CC-A5DD-7D700CFB2E8A.jpeg

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thankfully, I've have to put more phones to rest, than dogs. Sadly, 2 of those dogs were on the phones, and one was before I had a camera phone.

My Schnauzer I had from 2nd grade, until I went to college. When I left for college, he quit eating and drinking water. It sounds strange, but for months after he died, there would still be condensation on the window, where he used to watch for me to come home.