I'm going to stir the pot even further

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
; and any muzzle-loading rifle, muzzle-loading shotgun, or muzzle-loading handgun, which is designed to use black powder, black powder substitute, or any other propellant loaded through the muzzle and which cannot use fixed ammunition.

Does this mean muzzle loading firearms that can be changed to centerfire firearms are now illegal for use in NC during the new 'black powder' season?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd say that if you had a muzzle loading barrel mounted and no illegal(for the purpose we're considering) barrel or ammo present you'd be good to go.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Every year that goes by, I never cease to be amazed at the apparent lack of ability, insight and experience at the NC-WRC. This is just the latest example of extremely poorly written language in something as important as a law / regulation.

You'd think by now they'd at least have figured out they're no good at it, and would have by now invoked some sort of "user group reviews" of drafts they're putting together to get this kind of reaction / feedback.

If they were a "for profit" operation, they'd long be out of business by now.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Every year that goes by, I never cease to be amazed at the apparent lack of ability, insight and experience at the NC-WRC. This is just the latest example of extremely poorly written language in something as important as a law / regulation.

You'd think by now they'd at least have figured out they're no good at it, and would have by now invoked some sort of "user group reviews" of drafts they're putting together to get this kind of reaction / feedback.

I wouldn't blame the NC-WRC. The language comes right out of the General Statutes. In rulemaking, an agency tries not to deviate from the statutory language.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
So they are illegal?

Because it looks like they copied what felons can own and felons can't own guns that can be converted to fire fixed ammunition

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I would modify what I said. The WRC borrowed heavily from the definition of "antique firearm" in § 14-409.11 to define a blackpowder firearm. The General Statutes doesn't not define blackpowder firearms.

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer

I couldn't agree more with you! I can go to the New York DEC website and everything is laid out and explained in simple understanding language. Not sure what the NCWRC is trying to prove. Probably figures they can issue more tickets to people who don't understand the law as its written.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
All I know is that I am going to carry my CVA Apex that has a 45/70 barrel converted to shoot smokeless powder using a savage breech plug and loads from the muzzle. In it's current form, there is no way possible it can shoot fixed ammo. I'll rely on my common sense on this one and if for some reason the folks in charge decide to have a lapse in common sense we will sort it out then.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
You will be fine with the apex,, I have an encore that is in the same configuration, break the action and let them see the breechplug and your good to go.

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
All I know is that I am going to carry my CVA Apex that has a 45/70 barrel converted to shoot smokeless powder using a savage breech plug and loads from the muzzle. In it's current form, there is no way possible it can shoot fixed ammo. I'll rely on my common sense on this one and if for some reason the folks in charge decide to have a lapse in common sense we will sort it out then.

I've been wondering about this for CVA optima. Good to know I can still use it during blackpowder season.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Barnes 250 TEZ sabotless for hunting. They load straight from the pack and down the barrel and don't require any sizing or knurling to shoot sub moa groups. I'm duplexing 4759 and 4198 for my load. I've been shooting the Hornady 225 FTX sized to .4459 for practice since they are cheap and POI isn't much different than the 250 TEZ. The Parker Match hunters are popular but so dang expensive.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I would really like to get more info on your conversion, 'smith, photos and hardware mfg./load data etc...