I'm a Terrible Bass Fisherman

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Had the day off yesterday and went to Harris for some fishing and hanging out with my wife. Took along a new fly rod to get some casting in and maybe catch a bass or find a carp for excitement.

It was pretty windy so we drove to a spot that usually holds fish and I threw a shaky head green pumpkin worm, got a bite on the first cast, didn't set the hook very hard and lost him halfway to the boat. I had bites on the next THREE casts and MISSED ALL THREE!!

In total I probably missed at least 10 fish yesterday.

New fly rod is sweet, but I still can't backcast worth a hoot into wind without turning around and watching my rod tip. Also fly line management in a boat with cleats, trolling motor, a dog, etc. isn't easy.

But the takeaway here is I'm a terrible bass fisherman.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
Had the day off yesterday and went to Harris for some fishing and hanging out with my wife. Took along a new fly rod to get some casting in and maybe catch a bass or find a carp for excitement.

It was pretty windy so we drove to a spot that usually holds fish and I threw a shaky head green pumpkin worm, got a bite on the first cast, didn't set the hook very hard and lost him halfway to the boat. I had bites on the next THREE casts and MISSED ALL THREE!!

New fly rod is sweet, but I still can't backcast worth a hoot into wind without turning around and watching my rod tip. Also fly line management in a boat with cleats, trolling motor, a dog, etc. isn't easy.

If you got ten bites on Harris I’d say you ain’t a terrible bass fisherman maybe not so good at hooksets 😂

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Bream pick up a shaky head and run like a bass. I’m sure it wasn’t just you. It’s tough to tell the difference.
cheers

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer

Did you have fun? If so, your a great fisherman.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
went back to the same spot and got a bunch of dinks on the worm, but the good news is I got a nice one on the spook.

I love me some top water fishing.

The topwater bite is getting really good with the cooler nights and recent cloudy days. I caught 13 the other morning on top including a 5 and 6 pounder. Those cloudy days in September with fronts coming in are hard to beat

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
The topwater bite is getting really good with the cooler nights and recent cloudy days. I caught 13 the other morning on top including a 5 and 6 pounder. Those cloudy days in September with fronts coming in are hard to beat

i haven’t had a killer too water bite in a couple months. What were you using?

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
do you use a toad or skirt buzzer?

I’ve used both but it’s rare that I find a buzzbait that the toad doesn’t pull down into the water. The toad often keeps the buzzbait from making the sound that I like. I like throwing a toad by itself especially around vegetation. I usually use a black buzzbait, black blade, black skirt and I will put a straight tail worm or a split tail as the trailer.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve used both but it’s rare that I find a buzzbait that the toad doesn’t pull down into the water. The toad often keeps the buzzbait from making the sound that I like. I like throwing a toad by itself especially around vegetation. I usually use a black buzzbait, black blade, black skirt and I will put a straight tail worm or a split tail as the trailer.
i was slow on the toad but MLF showed me the error of my ways.
I also have a friend that makes a killer in line skirted buzzer that Is great but i like the toad better. Playing with merthiolate colored now. :)

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
i was slow on the toad but MLF showed me the error of my ways.
I also have a friend that makes a killer in line skirted buzzer that Is great but i like the toad better. Playing with merthiolate colored now. :)

I like Dave’s tournament tackle buzzbaits. The most important part of a buzzbait is the blade. The patented 008 blade is the best one I’ve ever used and it has to have metal on metal contact. I have tried some inline buzzbaits in the past and love the concept but i had a very difficult time getting them hooked on it. I’d be interested to see the one you’re talking about. I haven’t ever tried an in-line buzzbait with a toad. That sounds like an interesting concept.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I like Dave’s tournament tackle buzzbaits. The most important part of a buzzbait is the blade. The patented 008 blade is the best one I’ve ever used and it has to have metal on metal contact. I have tried some inline buzzbaits in the past and love the concept but i had a very difficult time getting them hooked on it. I’d be interested to see the one you’re talking about. I haven’t ever tried an in-line buzzbait with a toad. That sounds like an interesting concept.
i'm sorry no toad on the in line just an alternative to the standard. but now i may try it. :)
Dave got his start running a corner making spinnerbaits in my Dad's booth in the Greensboro and Raleigh fishing show eons ago. Great family.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
i'm sorry no toad on the in line just an alternative to the standard. but now i may try it. :)
Dave got his start running a corner making spinnerbaits in my Dad's booth in the Greensboro and Raleigh fishing show eons ago. Great family.

He’s a good guy. His tackle store is 10 minutes from where I live so make it by there often. I love all of his stuff and it’s priced very well. His spinner baits and buzzbaits are the best I’ve ever used.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
He’s a good guy. His tackle store is 10 minutes from where I live so make it by there often. I love all of his stuff and it’s priced very well. His spinner baits and buzzbaits are the best I’ve ever used.

who and where is this guy?

I'm a fan of black buzzbaits too. I've had success running them like a spinner as well. I learned that accidentally getting hit at the boat or bank after I'd slowed my retrieve and let it sink.

After I've covered an area with it, I'll run it beneath the surface a few times to see if anything is interested.

I typically use clackers when it's darker, but I'm not sold that it matters.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
who and where is this guy?

I'm a fan of black buzzbaits too. I've had success running them like a spinner as well. I learned that accidentally getting hit at the boat or bank after I'd slowed my retrieve and let it sink.

After I've covered an area with it, I'll run it beneath the surface a few times to see if anything is interested.

I typically use clackers when it's darker, but I'm not sold that it matters.
here you go.