Illegal fireworks

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
So last night in my little tiny neck of the woods it was quite a show. Someone spent a chunk of money and had some pretty sizable mortars. All we heard and saw for an hour after dark were mortars. It was great and the entire neighborhood got to see this guys effort.

So with so many fireworks just in my neck of the woods how many more were sent up to explode in the state? How much money is being spent in neighboring states and brought back into the state?

Is it time to legalize the big fireworks so our state benefits from the sales?

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
agree, I make a run to SC about twice a year. We shoot a box or two for all of the Holidays, birthdays, or kids' entertainment. Or, I "allegedly" shoot a box or two.

I know people get drunk and hurt which is an issue; but I always take appropriate precautions, eye protection, check my set up, keep the kids back, don't shoot them off if dry, lock the dogs in the garage, and give my neighbors a heads up (they love them too). So I am as responsible with them as if I was target practicing. I just don't think the government should dictate my actions when I behave like a responsible adult should.

I was shooting a bunch at my daughter's wedding reception a few years ago and two deputy sheriff cars stopped at the end of my drive, we waved them to pull in so we could feed them from our caterer we had there and watch the show; but they sped on off. LOL.

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
Yes, PLEASE legalize them in NC! I usually drive to SC to spend about $200-$250 in fireworks, but didnt want to make the drive this year. Not a total lose, was a bit rainy last night at the house

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I meant to make a poll (anymous) asking how many members who use fireworks in NC go elsewhere to get them? I get folks who set them off on piers, understand fire safety, understand explosive safety etc.

I'm sure we lose a few $million, but having mortars legally/easily available to some of my neighbors or people who work for me would frighten me more than the added income would calm me lol. Some of these people don't even deserve drivers licenses, in fact, some have lost them. But could still buy mortars with an ID.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
I meant to make a poll (anymous) asking how many members who use fireworks in NC go elsewhere to get them? I get folks who set them off on piers, understand fire safety, understand explosive safety etc.

I'm sure we lose a few $million, but having mortars legally/easily available to some of my neighbors or people who work for me would frighten me more than the added income would calm me lol. Some of these people don't even deserve drivers licenses, in fact, some have lost them. But could still buy mortars with an ID.

Those same people can go buy black powder or tannerite at dozens of locations in NC....I am all for legalizing the same kind of fireworks allowed in SC.....on the 4th I saw easily 10's of thousands of dollars worth of them shot off through out the night and almost everywhere I went someone had them.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I'm not suggesting the "it's too dangerous to let the public have them" mentality. I know exactly what rabbit hole that creates. I just like the idea that right now, if people want big boomers, they have to invest to get them. I liked back then, that if people wanted to buy a lotto ticket, they had to drive out of state to get them, and not interfere with my buying of Cheezits!

I know how similar this sounds to the anti gunners. And I'm NOT that! But fireworks aren't covered in ANY amendment, and therefore open to state interpretation imho.

To quote "Armegeddon", I know people who can go to SC and buy fireworks that "I wouldn't trust with a potato gun"!!!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
BTW if they want to make them legal I will make some earth shattering KaBooms.
In my back yard. In the city limits........

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Unpopular opinion: once you’ve seen one firework, you e seen’em all. I don’t care if it’s a sparkler or a professional show.
Living in east TN (Sevier county where they’re legal) has left me wishing they were banned everywhere. They got big’uns here. I’m talking rattle the windows just from the launch alone. Living here has made me dread the 4th. There were 11 tents in the small town near me just inside the legal county line. They’re still shooting them off every night. I was hoping for a 6 hour hard rain on the night of the fourth but it never came..............

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
Unpopular opinion: once you’ve seen one firework, you e seen’em all. I don’t care if it’s a sparkler or a professional show.
Living in east TN (Sevier county where they’re legal) has left me wishing they were banned everywhere. They got big’uns here. I’m talking rattle the windows just from the launch alone. Living here has made me dread the 4th. There were 11 tents in the small town near me just inside the legal county line. They’re still shooting them off every night. I was hoping for a 6 hour hard rain on the night of the fourth but it never came..............

If those who wished to celebrate, did so during normal hours and on the appropriate dates I for one would not have any issues. However, multiple nights (going on the 5 th night) in a row and past midnight is too much and makes me a hater of all fireworks. To each his own but consideration for others appears to be no longer a prerequisite for living in a community.

Legalize them already. All the states around NC are cashing in. You should of seen my grand finale on the 4th. Although I am for a midnight cut off.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I remember as a kid one of my classmates blowing off a finger (or two?) with fireworks. It was one of the best educational lessons we ever had about explosives and safety. As usual, the kid was a total loser and a-hole. I bet if you took a poll of the people who injure themselves every year that most would fall into that category too. You can't fix stupid, but hopefully you can blow it up.

I say legalize them and let the fingers fall where they may. :ROFLMAO:

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Only issue I have with them is the fires idiots start. I have have no problem with someone blowing theirself up but it's kinda nice knowing the guy down the road on a liquor-cycle has to ride to SC if he wants to burn down my house.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
In Florida you have to sign a waiver that you are using them on pest elimination or something to that effect. That would be a good solution here.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
If those who wished to celebrate, did so during normal hours and on the appropriate dates I for one would not have any issues. However, multiple nights (going on the 5 th night) in a row and past midnight is too much and makes me a hater of all fireworks. To each his own but consideration for others appears to be no longer a prerequisite for living in a community.

That's not a fireworks problem that's a respect for others problem. Anyone shooting off fireworks after midnight is just an idiot.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I like it because we got to see a helluva show the other night and just chilled in my backyard. No going down to the town commons fighting traffic and being in a crowd where who knows what might kick off. I've bought them and would again.