If you shoot Hevi Metal

rebel2

Or any other hevi products.. what are your goto shells?

I stick to Hevi Metal 3" BB's for everything from puddle ducks, to honkers, to snows. For me, it's just easier to stick with one load and not have to switch around for various hunts.

What do you use?

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
All in a 3.5" shell. Hevi Metal #4 for puddlers on calm days and #2s if the wind is up. I shoot HeviShot #2 for any open water or diver hunting. Sure it cost more but the knock down power for big divers is worth it. I also keep some cheap steel in my blind bag for clean up on cripples.

skydog

3.5" #3s if I'm just expecting puddlers. 3.5" #2 or BBs if there are Canadas around.

Last edited by a moderator:

klw28752

Button Buck
Heavy- metal junk??? You got to be kidding? If thats junk- what is a good shell? inquiring minds would like to know?

Jmac

Hevi-metal is junk.

Hevi-metal can be tricky as far as figuring out a choke/load combination for decent patterns but it aint junk. I like 2s but 3s work really well also. Leaning towards 3s for this season over the 2s matter of fact.

Gyrene

I haven't shot them so I am interested in knowing what everyone shoots along with what choke tube your using.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
I shot them in the 3" 1 1/4oz, they did ok. They HATE them on duckhuntingchat. Also chrono'ed a lot lower than 1500 fps according to several respected posters over there. So take that for what it is worth. In my Maxus, Kent's 3" 1 1/8oz pattern better.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Heavy- metal junk??? You got to be kidding? If thats junk- what is a good shell? inquiring minds would like to know?
Why have I got to be kidding? Am I not allowed to form a personal opinion based on my own experience and money spent on the product being discussed? The guy that started the thread is a hevi-shot pro-staffer,he asked for opinions, I gave him mine. Now wrap your inquiring mind around that.

I like 3" 1-1/4 ounce #1 Kent Fasteel and they don't even have to give me free shells. I shoot a Beretta A400-factory mod choke, before last season I was shooting a Browning BPS-factory mod choke both guns patterned/performed well with that shell. IMO, the only way to get a better shell is to load your own.

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
I haven't shot them so I am interested in knowing what everyone shoots along with what choke tube your using.

When hunting timber, I use Hevi-Metal 1 1/4 oz. 3" # 3s and I use my chokes which are labeled Skeet and I.C. My skeet choke in my Beretta Onyx gives me roughly a 55% pattern at 40 yards, which is actually a Lt. Mod. pattern. My I.C. choke patterns about 60%, which is equivalent to a modified choke. When hunting more open water, I switch to I.C. and Lt. Mod., which gives me a pattern equivalent to Mod (60%) and Imp. Mod. (65%). And I use factory chokes. No fancy aftermarket stuff.

Jmac

I shot them in the 3" 1 1/4oz, they did ok. They HATE them on duckhuntingchat. Also chrono'ed a lot lower than 1500 fps according to several respected posters over there. So take that for what it is worth. In my Maxus, Kent's 3" 1 1/8oz pattern better.
Not ALL hate it over there, some use it and like it. If you pay better attention you will notice that the majority of the respected posters over there have 0 field experience with HM. They formed their opinions after shooting paper, their disbelief of duplexing pellets and their total hate for EMI.

klw28752

Button Buck
Nobody likes a smart --- wanchese. Pro staff or not I would not base my opinion on a bad experience. I would hope you patterned your gun prior to going to hunt. If no issues there, then what caused your bad experience? Weather, distance,wind? Many factors come in to play. I hunt 45-50 days a year in Arkansas and get to see and shoot at many many ducks in timber, rice,beans,corn,milo. Every day is different to choke an shell combo. My favorite is two pattern master long range (there duck choke) with 3in #2. Yes two, i shoot a over/under. 3 in #3 in the timber. Not trying to be a smart--- myself but before I form an opinion i make sure to put all the variables in play. And yes I shoot all Heavy-Metal that I buy. Our club is endorsed by Kent and get all those I want for free. Kent is also a good shell and pattern very well but the extra Heavy-Shot in Heavy-Metal make them overall more effective. On a final note wanchese, I like your gun choice. A lot of our guest bring the a400 to hunt with. It shoots very well

MCJ1980

Ten Pointer
I have thought about trying them. A buddy gave me a box of 3" #2's to pattern my gun with. I have used black clouds for several years, they pattern well and I've had great success with them, but they are VERY dirty shells, and I've had blowback with them a few times and been hit in the face with powder. For that reason I've thought of going with a different brand.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
Does anyone know the density of the Hevi pellets? are they the heavier than steel or are they the heavier than lead pellets? Have always heard they were 10g/cc heavier than steel but do not know for sure.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
Does anyone know the density of the Hevi pellets? are they the heavier than steel or are they the heavier than lead pellets? Have always heard they were 10g/cc heavier than steel but do not know for sure.

They are heavier than steel pellets. In theory they penetrate the same as the regular steel pellets in the shell. So the Hevi pellets in Hevi Metal are usually 2 sizes smaller than the steel pellets in the shell. It raises the total number of pellets in shell, which should add pattern density. It does not do this in everyone's gun though. In my gun they(Hevi Metal 1.25oz #3's) did not pattern as well as Kent 1 1/8oz #3's, so the Kents are what I shoot.

Jmac

In theory they penetrate the same as the regular steel pellets in the shell.

But in real life they seem to penetrate better than the steel pellets in my belief, because they face less resistance having a smaller frontal mass.

klw28752

Button Buck
True Heavy Metal is supposed to weigh 12.2g/cc. Lead weighs 10.2 for most depending on how much tin is in it. Magnum lead is slightly heavier than chilled. Most standard steel is 6.6-6.8 according to the manufacture stats. As far as penetration, its the same theory as a golf ball and a ping pong ball- drop them in snow and see which one goes the deepest.

Gyrene

I'm thinking of trying Blackcloud or Hevi Metal....not sure which. I have been shooting Federal Speed Shok loads for so long that I always go back to the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" mentality. I kill ducks every year...more then enough to be happy and eat well. At 43 years old I am almost stuck in my ways but again...they work. But this year I may be doing some hunting on the coast and wonder if one of the wonder loads will fair better for longer range shots. I also plan to hunt more Geese this year but have killed plenty with my 2 3/4" #4 Federal Speed Shoks so again I ask....do I need to change? Oh decisions, decisions, decisions!

straightline

Ten Pointer
Two weeks until Canada 🐥🔫👍. This is all we shoot and between 4-5 of us we will shoot around 15 cases each year. Knock on wood but I have never had a problem shell. In my guns it patterns a little better than Kent. Blackclouds are too dirty.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411693887.993343.jpg

Jmac

Two weeks until Canada ������. This is all we shoot and between 4-5 of us we will shoot around 15 cases each year. Knock on wood but I have never had a problem shell. In my guns it patterns a little better than Kent. Blackclouds are too dirty.

View attachment 39313
Whats the loading on those 15 cases y'all shoot?

TeamLockedUP

I shoot blindside and this year got some speedball #5 Hevi metal never impressed me that much but I haven't shot it since it first came out could be better now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeamLockedUP

Consider the source DHC 😧

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk