If you heat with wood........

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you heat with wood, you probably have a woodshed (or something similar). I'm finishing (late, I know) getting all the wood I cut put n storage for the coming winter. I also want to build a woodshed, and I'm wondering if anyone has a design that they've found is practical that won't break the bank. I have my current stacks covered with tarps (screwed down). My FIL has done his this way for years (he heats exclusively with wood), but I'm wanting to build a permanent structure for mine.

I found these two designs on the web.....that seem to be what I want. If you know of pros or cons, I'd appreciate your opinion.

woodshed.jpgwoodshed2.jpg

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
The only con I can see is with the first pic...it leaves a space underneath that might be attractive to rats,mice,skunks,groundhog etc....but you're always going to have that kind of thing with a pile of firewood...if you don't keep it of the ground you sacrifice that bottom layer,IMO.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, I see that, now. Maybe just put down a crusher-run or #57 stone and put the wood right on top of it?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
That first pic is pretty much what I have DB, cept mine isn't that fancy. Mine is 10'x20'. I just sunk 6 cedar posts in the ground, ran 2x6 across the front and back and put my 2x4 rafters and 1x4 sheeting on. All the wood was rough cut I had around the farm so no expense at that point. I got some painted aluminum roofing as seconds and covered it. I use pallets to put the wood on and don't worry about the mice. They are gonna be there anyway around here. I just have a minimum amount of drop in the roof and have it positioned so I can drive down both sides with the Mule. That way I don't have to move it further as I go deeper into the pile, just halfway. I know, I'm lazy.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When I heated almost exclusively with wood, I used an old silage wagon as my wood shed. I took the hardware off of the front and removed the panel in the back so it was open and accessible on both ends. Left the sides and bottom intact and set it on a cinder block foundation. Planted some posts behind it and scabbed some posts on the high side to attach rafters for the roof that was double the width of the wagon bed. Made a nice lean to storage area behind it the full length of the wagon. Worked very well as I could load or unload from either end. Kept the wood dry and off the ground. The lean to was a good place to store outdoor tools and was also a great skinning shed.

Unfortunately, one of those late May storms several years ago dropped a big maple tree on it while it was mostly empty and destroyed it. I was no longer using as much wood then and I never rebuilt it.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just have a minimum amount of drop in the roof and have it positioned so I can drive down both sides with the Mule. That way I don't have to move it further as I go deeper into the pile, just halfway. I know, I'm lazy.

Necessity is the mother of invention!

I despise touching wood any more times than is absolutely necessary. I like your thinking.

tmcullen

Check out pallet projects on pinterest and other sites. I've seen some good ideas and the Pallets can be picked up for free.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mine isn't very ornate but it's effective and pretty well hidden behind the house. Landscaping timbers as posts, 1x4 purlings, and metal roofing panels on the sides and top. I used 2-12' oak pallets for the floor and stack the wood on them....

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
9 locust logs, 24 trusses...bolt together some 2x8's, 2x4's if you don't like trusses and go for it. Slanted tin roof if so desired. Simple shed that will hold a couple years worth of firewood.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
We have the a wood heater and and wood stored under a couple of those metal carports. I works good.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like the first design the best. Plenty of air flow around it, yet it is covered.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
9ady7y2e.jpg

This is four rows deep and sitting on wood pallets. On top is just loose sheets of 6 feet long corrugated tin oriented sideways. Some wood on top holds it down. About 12 feet behind this is another 3-wide row not quite as long also covered in loose tin. This is more than I usually have but the gettin' was unusually good.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The best design I have seen has the wood separated into bays so that you can segregate drier vs. greener wood. It is one row deep on the front and one row on the back so you can drive your vehicle of choice down both sides. I'm getting ready to build one myself this year.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
I got a few old buildings and barns I use, and most of the time I cover in a tarp, I would like a shed like those , and thanks I need to start restocking for winter, .