Idiot

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Given this kids history he should have been baker acted long ago. Not sure why someone expelled from the school would even be allowed near it. School Officials, LE and FBI dropped the ball on this one big time. We need to focus on getting nut jobs like this some treatment. The background check system needs to be overhauled and have digital feeds from all local, state and federal LEO and the military. Supposedly this kid was in a treatment facility and he checked himself out and then did this.

I seem to remember that at some point (late 70's early 80's) that there was a Supreme Court decision that basically made it way harder to keep people in mental health facilities if they didn't want to be there. Maybe it was a law, not sure. I think that we're seeing (and have been seeing) the backlash from some of that.

One other question: Didn't fighting (physical fighting, fist fights) use to be more common among boys? I get that impression. I wonder if it wasn't a good safety valve for blowing some pressure off before things got really out of hand. I don't know.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I seem to remember that at some point (late 70's early 80's) that there was a Supreme Court decision that basically made it way harder to keep people in mental health facilities if they didn't want to be there. Maybe it was a law, not sure. I think that we're seeing (and have been seeing) the backlash from some of that.

One other question: Didn't fighting (physical fighting, fist fights) use to be more common among boys? I get that impression. I wonder if it wasn't a good safety valve for blowing some pressure off before things got really out of hand. I don't know.

I do know that you could fight with fists and not worry about getting shot later on. They don't fight anymore. They just start shooting.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess the FBI going and speaking to Nicholas Cruz was to much to ask? We aren't talking about a seasoned and hardened criminal here. A freaking kid...
Yeah that's what's so scary. There's alot of them that show up to the ER of hospitals all across the country. Parents bring them in and nothing is done for them because most people can't afford the help.

Last edited:

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I think it was in the 80's, but yea it was deemed unconstitutional, basically because being mentally unstable is not a crime. Not to mention the cost burden on the States (I think this was more the reason) I am not sure what the answer is regarding this, but here we are.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Maybe it should be harder to obtain a ar-15 than a handgun. I can see the reasons people dont want to ban them, but anyone without a criminal record can walk into a store and have one in under an hour. There are common sense laws out there but the NRA will not give an inch because they are afraid it will lead to total loss of all guns. A mandatory 2-3 week waiting period for all guns is an obvious one. How would a law like that infringe on anyones rights? They should do background checks on high capacity magazines. Put a limit on how much ammo someone can buy at one time unless they have a certain licences or pass a back ground check. All of these are things that would help stop and or identify the bad people. They would at least put up red flags on people with suspicious behavior when it comes to purchasing rifles and ammo. Also the NRA takes russian money so screw them.
Who are you and what has lead you onto this forum.
There are background checks enough on gun purchases, waiting 2 weeks would stop zero school shootings and most of all, this is still America not Russia, Venezuela or another Communist country.
As crappy as some of it is, IT IS OUR COUNTRY WHERE WE ARE STILL FREE.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
What I read said he had the key to the safe.
Yep

Was not a safe from one family qoute.
they said if he was going to keep it it needed to be locked up.
It was a foot locker or something not a "safe"
besides he was the one that locked it up and kept the key for the lock.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Who are you and what has lead you onto this forum.
There are background checks enough on gun purchases, waiting 2 weeks would stop zero school shootings and most of all, this is still America not Russia, Venezuela or another Communist country.
As crappy as some of it is, IT IS OUR COUNTRY WHERE WE ARE STILL FREE.
Little late to the show....
The Ban Hammer fell on him.....

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I do know that you could fight with fists and not worry about getting shot later on. They don't fight anymore. They just start shooting.

That's the thing...these shootings don't happen (at least it doesn't seem like it happens) where real violence is an everyday possibility...They happen in Small town America or Suburbia.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Little late to the show....
The Ban Hammer fell on him.....

Sorry about that, I saw that post and it set me off, did not read ahead, just vented.
Overwatch failed on this one big time. All the FBI had to do was Google his name and go talk to him and this day would not have come.
MSM is saying that the AR was legally bought but that is BS, he had to have lied on his 4473 form [this in and of itself is a felony] making any weapon bought thru that 4473 an illegal weapon.
Still PO'd over this.....And sick on my stomach for the families of his victims.

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
And this is precisely why the left has already won the debate. The sad thing is I bet you don't even understand how you're becoming part of the problem with that pro nanny state stance.

What else should we gate off and put behind a badge and someone else with guns just so sheeple can feel safe? I know! Let's require badges everywhere. Gotta badge in to get in the truck. Badge in when you get on the interstate. Badge in when you get home. At movie theaters and your favorite head shop. Bagde in before you get on the charter boat or your own personal sailboat too. Everywhere except the voting booth.

I don't want to be part of the problem, or accept tat the left has already won, or even worse be part of that!!!

I would like to see schools at least as safe as courthouses. I'd also like to see courthouses one day hope to be as safe as schools are in the future. I know you hate the nanny state. I know some of my ideas can be considered contributing to the nanny state as I was all for the no smoking in restaurants in NC years ago when this site got fired up. But I believe time has proven that no one suffered, except for smokers on days it rained or it was cold.

Imho, feeling safe is for like you said, the sheeple. BEING safe is for all of us. 60+ years ago, the focus on school safety was fire, fire, fire. I'd say we got that problem licked via the strict rules in place when building or working on any school. But I'm still aloud to have a fire in my backyard or living room. I'd dare say today, the school safety primary focus is violence. I believe we can sovle that also, without lessening any of my already existing rights.

I hope so anyways.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Shame our kids/grandkids have more to worry about than a fire drill. And lot them do worry with the access to this stuff and how often it happens a teen has more worry than they should

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
These kids are also eating laundry detergent. Not sure when, but somewhere along the way everything in our society went off the rails.

Taproot

Take a look at Israel and how they protect schools. Teachers are armed. Even the students undergo firearms training. And there are zero school shootings there.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
To me the question is what is the level of intrusion we will accept when it comes to background checks.....if you go to a metal health facility and get prescribed anti psychotic drugs should that automatically go to the NICS and show up if that person attempts to buy a gun? Where do we draw the line, how crazy/disturbed does someone have to be before we deny them their 2nd amendment right? Its a tough question, I firmly believe that over the last 20-30 years with the plethora of mood meds and drugging kids with ADHD etc along with just a more general violent society in general ( games, movies, music etc) has created this lack of empathy and compassion....kids were mean back in the day but they take it to a whole new level of cruel now. Not sure what the answers are but if these things keep happening the left and even the middle will go for the low hanging fruit....and we all know what that is.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
IMHO We are seeing the rewards of what liberal progressives have pushed for, no morals,no respect, get god out of schools now wanting to take flag down....the list goes on, reap what you sow, just don't hurt anybody feelings.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Troll? im making valid points to back up my opinion? If i wanted to troll id say you must be snowflake millennial who cant handle someone disagreeing with them or telling them they are wrong.

warning-mouth-operates-faster-than-brain-8527063.png

Aythya

Eight Pointer
In response to Pirate 96 post about Wake County wanting the sheriffs department to look the other way in certain instances, the Florida school district in which this happened had instituted a similar policy with local Law Enforcement so as not o create a "pipeline from high school to prison" for minorities who were engaging in threats , assaults, drug possession etc.
This Cruz kid had been banned from bringing a backpack on campus. Had to keep his stuff in a clear plastic bag. WTF? Sounds to be he had brought something very bad on campus before and had not been properly punished for it. Don't exspel or prosecute poor Nicky. Make him expose what contraband he has on campus and tell him it's a "no,no".
I would love to know what he brought that instigated to book bag ban. Anybody want to bet it's never revealed what it was ?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In response to Pirate 96 post about Wake County wanting the sheriffs department to look the other way in certain instances, the Florida school district in which this happened had instituted a similar policy with local Law Enforcement so as not o create a "pipeline from high school to prison" for minorities who were engaging in threats , assaults, drug possession etc.
This Cruz kid had been banned from bringing a backpack on campus. Had to keep his stuff in a clear plastic bag. WTF? Sounds to be he had brought something very bad on campus before and had not been properly punished for it. Don't exspel or prosecute poor Nicky. Make him expose what contraband he has on campus and tell him it's a "no,no".
I would love to know what he brought that instigated to book bag ban. Anybody want to bet it's never revealed what it was ?

Political correctness and apathy is killing this country from the inside