ID?...not a Mourning Dove

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Can anyone identify this bird gleaning seeds from a freshly mowed field in Butner, NC back in Oct. soon after hurricane conditions nearby? I photographed it w/ my cell phone, so photos are not clear. The bird was very docile & you could approach it within 10' before it would take a weak flight & then quickly return to the same area. Note the very prominent white wing butt shoulder patches. It was much smaller & docile than a Mourning Dove; it does not appear to be a Ground Dove (G.D. dont have white wing patches) though it is similiar in size, docile countenance & flight pattern; or a White Winged Dove which are much larger. I am wondering if the hurricane conditions blew it in from La. or the Gulf of Mexico area.20201104_175753.jpg20201104_180654.jpg20201104_181023.jpg

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
White Winged Dove.jpg

How about a White Winged Dove? The I.D. from Cornell says they're common in Texas and also occur along the Southeast coast. Looks right to me.

Jim

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
View attachment 59581

How about a White Winged Dove? The I.D. from Cornell says they're common in Texas and also occur along the Southeast coast. Looks right to me.

Jim
JIM, possibly a W.W.D., but I dont think so. I wish I had made clearer pics. My bird does not appear to have the black cheek patches of the W.W.D. & I think the white was just confined to ony the wing butt. Also note the black splotches on this bird's wings similiar to the Mourning Dove in these 2 20201104_180021.jpg20201104_180104.jpgadditional pics, which are not found on the W.W.D. I am still bewildered on this bird's ID.