Ice Bowl

jopel

Four Pointer
Contributor
Only a few weeks away, anyone here planning on fishing this? I've had conflicting plans the last few years but hope to get up there for this one.
Feel free to wave me down if you see me.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not only no, hell no. Fished tournaments many years back, was fairly successful doing it. But when you do it rain, shine, hot cold, storms it don't matter just for a trophy and money it doesn't take long and it takes the fun out of it. When we quit it it was three years before I got back on the water. I swore then I would never fish another tournament. Turns out I lied, a buddy still fishing them called last year and was in the running to win the points for the year asked if I would fish one with him as his buddy couldn't make one. He knew my feelings toward them so I knew he was desperate. I first told him no but I buckled. Of course it rained all night and the wind blew like hell. We placed 3rd and he held on to enough points they wound up winning for the year but it was a reminder just how it had soured it for me.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I will be there. Already have a cabin and plan to prefish Thursday and Friday.
how does that work on cats, practicing for a tourney. Do you use bait with no pointed hook, just run electronics/both?
Surely you don t catch those rare beasts the day before a derby? Or do you?
I can sure think of some dubious methods to use. Like yall NC guys go catch all the Va guy's fish the day before. LOL
Good Luck to you Guys. Go NC!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
What I do is look for areas that contain bait, water temperature, holes or areas holding fish.
Also try a few different baits to see if they like a specific type of rig, rattle, float, leader length, anchor, drift and drift speed...

Just looking info that may help target fish and larger ones.
Plus having fun, spending time out there and test equipment.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Don't know about the Ice Bowl, but be fishing most every day except Saturday the 28th. (Watching the two college football games.)
Stripers, Trout, and Reds, Oh my. May slide over for a few Large Mouth Bass.

jopel

Four Pointer
Contributor
I will be there. Already have a cabin and plan to prefish Thursday and Friday.
We hope to get up there to fish friday morning and try to find some bait. Are cabins close? About to book a night at the hotel down the road.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Cabins are on the road inside the park where the ramp is.
2 min to ramp. Can charge and rig better there than hotel.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
183 boats signed up and 30 to 40 more tomorrow is what the think.
Going to be a lot going on at the ramp. Letting us get in early and boat check starts at 4am.
Some boats already getting in the water to avoid the rush.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
One caught a couple years back in the ice bowl that went over a 100...if I'm not mistaken. Catfishing sure has took off since the early 2000s.

jopel

Four Pointer
Contributor
Big fish was ~57lbs, was a pretty day on the water once the fog lifted. I spun a prop and couldn't get back to scales by cutoff time to weigh in, but my fish was small anyways. I believe NC won combined weight over VA.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Big fish was ~57lbs, was a pretty day on the water once the fog lifted. I spun a prop and couldn't get back to scales by cutoff time to weigh in, but my fish was small anyways. I believe NC won combined weight over VA.
Where were you?
Just down river from the ramp?

I thought I could hear a boat with a spun prop, checked a few close to me but never made it to the south side. Was that you?
Seen several boats close was think if that was the boat then someone would stop or put up a flag.

Man that sucks, sorry to here that.

jopel

Four Pointer
Contributor
We were north, about at the split when it happened. Had enough bite to make ~6-7mph back.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
We were north, about at the split when it happened. Had enough bite to make ~6-7mph back.
Then someone else had the same problem....
Got to say there was a ton of trash in the water.
Seeing parts of docks, tree branches, 30' tall trees along with other trash going down.
Was a mess.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I spun a prop and couldn't get back to scales

BTW
What prop system was it? All mine in the past were non serviceable rubber pressed in.

My new boat has the plastic modular system where you can replace the plastic part and keep on moving.
I still carry a prop and hub just incase.