Ice and snow damage trail cams?

tgr95

Spike
Too late now, but wondering, anybody ever have their trail cams damaged before from ice or snow? Never had trouble from snow but I’m more worried about a coating of ice surrounding the cam from freezing rain. We’re in the ice zone.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
You'll be fine. A flood will probably be bad for them, but rain, snow and ice shouldn't bother them a bit.
Joe

BiggestSpikeYouEverSeen

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've had some up for 5+ years at 8,000 feet where they see ice/snow/sub freezing temps and haven't had any major issues. They range from a $60 Moultrie to a Reconyx.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
I used to live in a lake-effect snow area. We averaged 300" of snow a year. My cameras were out 24/7/365.
This first one is of a Fisher at a deer carcass. It was covered in a few feet of frozen snow. I remember it being very cold that year. Lots of below zero weather.

This one here was in probably 8 or 10 feet of snow. I had to snow shoe down to the camera, dig it out and move it up the tree. There was a coyote den nearby and I was getting great vids in this spot. I remember it taking me an hour to travel the half mile to the camera.

Snow and ice definitely won't bother a trail cam.
Joe

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I have had twenty cameras out for years in all kinds of weather and no problems. I did however have two cameras from Covert that leaked like a sieve the first time I put them out. These two cameras did not function properly full of water.