I wish....

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
There was a recovered deer or even one that didn't lay overnight to show for every deer on a filmed hunt that "they just smoked!!!" (followed by fist pumps and excessive celebration). The duck commander effect is alive and well.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Aww come on man. I get tore up. But I guess I don’t really celebrate too much until they are down in sight.

I once bet my brothers for the first dove of the year the other one had to strip down to their undies and do a cartwheel out in the field for everyone to see. I’ve toned it down a lil since in my old age.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Aww come on man. I get tore up. But I guess I don’t really celebrate too much until they are down in sight.

I once bet my brothers for the first dove of the year the other one had to strip down to their undies and do a cartwheel out in the field for everyone to see. I’ve toned it down a lil since in my old age.

My main issue is that they always “smoke’d em” no matter how terrible a shot they made. And some are leaving deer overnight that just don’t need to be left - it’s just the popular thing to do on film now

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

My issue isn’t with celebrating or even excessive celebrating. It’s these idiots that make a :donk:donk:donk:donk shot and act like they just double lunged him and he fell in sight, like @wncdeerhunter said.

And I totally agree with him that way more than half of the deer they leave overnight should be tracked and recovered the night they were shot. I personally think it’s got a lot to do with ratings and camera light.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Tv shows don’t hold a candle to idiocy you see on the Facebook NC deer hunting pages. There was a person yesterday who was all fired up about the young non typical he got a pic of and it was nothing more than the pic lined up perfectly of a young buck with a bigger buck behind it. March through august, I forget how ignorant the majority of deer hunters are then every year, they come through and completely redeem themselves. Hahaha. TV deer hunters are geniuses compared to the majority of deer hunters.

Wv67

Ten Pointer
They need a show , that has folks send in pics of their best bucks , 5 winners picked , and the pro has a week to go to that persons property and kill the buck in the winners pic , I mean if your a pro should be easy , …

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
They need a show , that has folks send in pics of their best bucks , 5 winners picked , and the pro has a week to go to that persons property and kill the buck in the winners pic , I mean if your a pro should be easy , …

Yeah but pro don’t stand for what you think it does. “Pro staff” is short for promotional staff. A lot of tv hunters will be quick to tell you it does not stand for professional.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I would love to see what these pro staff guys could do on public land. The things some of them do on TV crack me up. If it’s a “smoked em” shot why leave a deer over night? As someone mentioned it’s all for video purposes and marketing. I’m not saying they are all bad hunters, but we are not always seeing the whole truth.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Tv shows don’t hold a candle to idiocy you see on the Facebook NC deer hunting pages. There was a person yesterday who was all fired up about the young non typical he got a pic of and it was nothing more than the pic lined up perfectly of a young buck with a bigger buck behind it. March through august, I forget how ignorant the majority of deer hunters are then every year, they come through and completely redeem themselves. Hahaha. TV deer hunters are geniuses compared to the majority of deer hunters.
And bless their hearts they take themselves SO seriously.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
i may take some crap for this but the Meateater and THP both have shown bad shot, misses and deer that they never found or lived on. At least those guys aren't out there editing every miss out (not saying they don't). they get pumped up when they see one drop, but the THP guys usually dont say anything or celebrate till they see it dead.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
I would love to see what these pro staff guys could do on public land. The things some of them do on TV crack me up. If it’s a “smoked em” shot why leave a deer over night? As someone mentioned it’s all for video purposes and marketing. I’m not saying they are all bad hunters, but we are not always seeing the whole truth.
Pisgah or Nantahala would be a great place to start

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
i may take some crap for this but the Meateater and THP both have shown bad shot, misses and deer that they never found or lived on. At least those guys aren't out there editing every miss out (not saying they don't). they get pumped up when they see one drop, but the THP guys usually dont say anything or celebrate till they see it dead.
Those and Randy are some of the few.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I almost felt bad for Ted in his mud blind slinging his piss missiles at those speed goats at 50 yards. To their credit, they showed all the rainbows that missed, along with the one that didn't.

slugoo

Eight Pointer
I almost felt bad for Ted in his mud blind slinging his piss missiles at those speed goats at 50 yards. To their credit, they showed all the rainbows that missed, along with the one that didn't.
It was irritating with how slow his big ole arrows were moving. The goats had time to just move out the way. For close range whitetail hunting I'm sure it's fine, but those shots were a little too far it seemed.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
It was irritating with how slow his big ole arrows were moving. The goats had time to just move out the way. For close range whitetail hunting I'm sure it's fine, but those shots were a little too far it seemed.
Caught that too huh. It was like lobbing bowing balls.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I like THP - they're actually pretty skilled and show it all.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Caught that too huh. It was like lobbing bowing balls.
And then on the Wyoming white tail hunt with Warb, he wasn't confident in taking a 40 yard shot at the river crossing. I think they are learning about the trade offs they've made when they go out west. Its a lot different than shooting pigs at 20 in texas.

JWH15

Six Pointer
And then on the Wyoming white tail hunt with Warb, he wasn't confident in taking a 40 yard shot at the river crossing. I think they are learning about the trade offs they've made when they go out west. Its a lot different than shooting pigs at 20 in texas.
I agree, I have confidence shooting 40 yards, and if I was going out west I would be practicing regularly for shots a lot further than that, especially spot and stalk like they were doing.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I guarantee those heavy arrows are still moving way faster than anything that was being shot out of bows in 1980s and early 90s and those guys still whacked deer at 50 and 60 yds.

But I do agree that their set ups are not ideal for long range shooting.