I was skeptical about hunting with an AR..... until last season!

Hazmt

Six Pointer
I tried the AR platform for the first time last season. I usually hunt with a Browning 270 or a single shot 45/70. I was a little unsure with the 223, so I bought a 6.5 Grendel upper from DTT. For those who don't know, the 6.5 Grendel is essentially 7.62x39 necked down to 6.5mm. This rifle has virtually no recoil, but loud as heck with the standard mil-muzzle brakes. After 3 deer from 120 to 300 yards, I am impressed with this round. I used Federal Fusion SPs out of a 16inch carbine. All 3 bullets passed through. 1st deer was a doe at 300. I shot her at the base of the neck and she dropped in her tracks. 2nd was a heavy bodied 7ptr at 230 yards quartering away. He was trotting and I didn't allow for it. Bullet hit him in left rear ham and traveled the length of him out the far offside shoulder -no blood only hair until about 40 yards. Broke offside shoulder bone. I knew he was hit by the way he acted. After 40 yards, he bled like a murder scene. I recovered him at 100 yards. Last was a doe broadside at 120 yards; got both lungs and buggered the offside shoulder. She went about 30 yards, plenty of blood. Both of my younger kids have hunted with this rifle. I did change the brake to a comp to make the noise more tolerable. I have about $240 in the upper (w/ bolt carrier group and a magazine). I wouldn't hesitate to pull a trigger on any Eastern NC deer with this rifle out to 400 yards. For the kids, I make them hold to 150 yards. I just built a 7.62x39. I know this round will kill out to 200! Can't wait for deer season this year!

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like you have a winner!

Let's see the rifle and deer.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Midwest industries makes a deflector that supposedly throws the noise out front instead of sideways or back towards shooter. Not sure about what calibers....but I have one in 5.56/223.

whitty

Six Pointer
I’ve been looking at building a 6.5 for my kids. I was looking at the DTT but after looking at the reviews it scared me away from them. Seems like you are pleased with them so maybe I’ll look back into them. Anyone else have any recommendations for the 6.5 Grendel upper.

Hazmt

Six Pointer
Finally got pics from the Mrs.' IPAD...Here is the first doe. This brake is painful without hearing protection!

The Seven Pointer - even with a bad shot, the 6.5 Grendel still passed all the way through!!

The last doe...

Here is the Recoil Technologies comp that I replaced the brake with:

Hazmt

Six Pointer
I’ve been looking at building a 6.5 for my kids. I was looking at the DTT but after looking at the reviews it scared me away from them. Seems like you are pleased with them so maybe I’ll look back into them. Anyone else have any recommendations for the 6.5 Grendel upper.
The guys at DTT could do a lot better. I think they just take on too much business to get their turnaround done in a timely manner. When they get behind, they don't answer their phones. You can only get through with a message on their website. The 7.62x39 upper was assembled by them and they scratched the handguard. Since I will probably do the same huning with it, it didn't bother me, but I can see why some folks have complained about them. They left the charger handle out of my last order, but when I called them, they sent it in about 3 days. If you get parts kits only and assemble yourself, their turnaround is better. When I order from them, I don't get in a hurry. Most of the complaints that I have seen are response time related. For parts, though, their shipped prices are hard to beat!

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Nice!
I wish I had bought a 6.8spc or 308 instead of a 5.56. I think I would have gotten more use outof it.
I'm halfway scared to try mine on a deer...lol

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I would have no problem hunting with an AR style weapon but, personally, the romance of the old guns is what appeals to me. I have a Marlin lever and used to have a Winnie. Would love to have an old Rem 760 or a Savage 99 but they are cost prohibitive.
As far as noise reduction, I have removed the flash hider and added a thread protector but my 17.5" 223 is not any quieter, that I can tell. I've also read that devices that are supposed to help don't actually help. Are other calibers quieter? Do barrels in the 20" range help?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Nice!
I wish I had bought a 6.8spc or 308 instead of a 5.56. I think I would have gotten more use outof it.
I'm halfway scared to try mine on a deer...lol

Do like I did....buy one of each, and top it with a 50 beowulf for hogs

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Finally got pics from the Mrs.' IPAD...Here is the first doe. This brake is painful without hearing protection!

View attachment 27694

The Seven Pointer - even with a bad shot, the 6.5 Grendel still passed all the way through!!
View attachment 27695

The last doe...
View attachment 27696

Here is the Recoil Technologies comp that I replaced the brake with:

View attachment 27698

Nice and well done. Only nitpick I have is that first flash hinder isn't a mil spec one.

CD

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I have 2 Grendel’s and they are phenomenal deer cartridges. Taken 3 deer from 80 to 220 yards and longest track was 60 yards, and everyone was a pass through. Have a 16 and a 24 inch barrel and using Hornady black (amax pill) there is about 200fps difference in the 2 rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
exactly!...and/or learn to shoot it REAL WELL and hit the neck and they drop like lightning struck.......at least they do on our farm.
That makes me feel better about the decision to use my AR this season. Lotta swamps and thick stuff around here, all close up and personal hunting, and these 75 grain Hornadys are driving tacks at 50 yards.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Use a proper .224 bullet and place it in the broiler room and you'll have venison.

CD
I have no doubt it will kill it just isn't what I want to use for deer.
I did buy some 64gr soft points to try but never took it hunting.