I want good trail camera !!!

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I like and use Browning and Covert cameras. Got about 10 of each in the woods and have had no problems with either. The Browning cameras take a little more "crisp" daytime pics, but the Coverts definitely take better pictures after dark.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
View attachment 30274View attachment 30275Tasco from Walmart. $28 , simple to set up , easy on batteries , and for a $28 cam , they take surprisingly good pics.
View attachment 30274View attachment 30275Tasco from Walmart. $28 , simple to set up , easy on batteries , and for a $28 cam , they take surprisingly good pics.
All I,use.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I’m currently running 2 Browning’s, 1 Bushnell trophy cam, and several Tascos .

Browning = Best pics
Trophy Cam =2nd best pics
Tascos = work just fine and last months on batteries

For the price you can’t beat the Tascos... I try to buy brownings when on a really good sale

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I switched to Bushnell cameras- best on batteries that I have ever had. I should have written the date on the batteries when I put them out there. My first went out mid July and still shooting on the first batteries. I've been impressed by photo quality as well.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Disclaimer before post...I work for a trail camera company

With trail cameras in general, you get what you pay for. Do they all work? Yep. You can strap any trail camera to a tree over a corn pike and gets pictures. That doesn’t really make them a “good” trail camera, because they all do that. With cheaper cams, they have a generally understood and accepted longevity, so really can’t complain when they quit working. Really depends on what features are most important to you in a camera in deciding which one is best. There are basically 3 classes of trail cameras.

The box store (what I refer to as junk)...these would be the wildgames and tascos of the world. Buy em if that’s what you can afford, but don’t complain if they don’t work.

2nd is your middle of the road “work horse” camera. More features, better battery life, more reliable, not super expensive (Browning, Covert, Primos, Bushnell, stealth cam etc). Most trail cameras fall into this category and are more than adequate for almost everyones needs.

Then there are the Elite cameras that are in a class by themselves (extremely long battery life, extremely high quality pictures and video, long warranty). Comparing these cameras to a tasco is an apples to oranges comparison. Its like comparing a sony handycam to a $50k news production video camera. Reconyx, Radix, Exodus, Spartan, Boly, etc fall into this category.

We basically refused to make a “junk” level camera. It’s not worth the headache of dealing with warranty claims. Our “work horse” camera, the MT-100, is more than capable for what most people want, with a bit better image quality than what people are used to in a $99 camera
9b81e99d72394c830ac47ca267e72032.jpg

Our other camera models I would definitely put in the Elite category. They aren’t for everyone, but they are extremely popular with hardcore cammers that like super hi-res images and 4k video with sound.
1d86292be60edec081219d5d0820ac55.jpg

a018c3df3e0814572a40641283558129.jpg

d19d21ae7b480cc6cb1afd116a2034ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All I,use.
I bought several of the Tasco cameras. Most of mine did really well for several months and I sang their praises. Then most stopped taking night pictures. The day pictures continued to be good quality but zilch night pictures. Most lasted just over 6 months before they failed.

whitty

Six Pointer
Everyone keeps showing day pics. Every camera I have ever owned took great day pics but the night pictures is where you could tell the difference. The browning and bushnell have worked well for me.

Aaron871

Four Pointer
Disclaimer before post...I work for a trail camera company

With trail cameras in general, you get what you pay for. Do they all work? Yep. You can strap any trail camera to a tree over a corn pike and gets pictures. That doesn’t really make them a “good” trail camera, because they all do that. With cheaper cams, they have a generally understood and accepted longevity, so really can’t complain when they quit working. Really depends on what features are most important to you in a camera in deciding which one is best. There are basically 3 classes of trail cameras.

The box store (what I refer to as junk)...these would be the wildgames and tascos of the world. Buy em if that’s what you can afford, but don’t complain if they don’t work.

2nd is your middle of the road “work horse” camera. More features, better battery life, more reliable, not super expensive (Browning, Covert, Primos, Bushnell, stealth cam etc). Most trail cameras fall into this category and are more than adequate for almost everyones needs.

Then there are the Elite cameras that are in a class by themselves (extremely long battery life, extremely high quality pictures and video, long warranty). Comparing these cameras to a tasco is an apples to oranges comparison. Its like comparing a sony handycam to a $50k news production video camera. Reconyx, Radix, Exodus, Spartan, Boly, etc fall into this category.

We basically refused to make a “junk” level camera. It’s not worth the headache of dealing with warranty claims. Our “work horse” camera, the MT-100, is more than capable for what most people want, with a bit better image quality than what people are used to in a $99 camera
9b81e99d72394c830ac47ca267e72032.jpg

Our other camera models I would definitely put in the Elite category. They aren’t for everyone, but they are extremely popular with hardcore cammers that like super hi-res images and 4k video with sound.
1d86292be60edec081219d5d0820ac55.jpg

a018c3df3e0814572a40641283558129.jpg

d19d21ae7b480cc6cb1afd116a2034ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long should a “middle of the road” camera last?

I can’t get more than 2 seasons out of anything I purchase. 2 years ago I had over a dozen mid level cameras of all different makes in service, I’m now down to 3 and refuse to spend the money to replace them....

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
How long should a “middle of the road” camera last?

I can’t get more than 2 seasons out of anything I purchase. 2 years ago I had over a dozen mid level cameras of all different makes in service, I’m now down to 3 and refuse to spend the money to replace them....
I have a Bushnell Trophy cam from 2009 that still works, and a covert Red 40 from 2012. Radix has only been in business 3 years, but all of mine except one are still working fine. If you can't get 5 years out of a camera barring water/critter damage then it's probably junk...just my 2C