i want at quiet tree rat gun. What say ye'

Dick

Ten Pointer
I have not hunted squirrels since relocating here in 2007. One of my favorite things to hunt.

I know close to nothing about .22's other then or. all I ever shot and they came in buckets. But you guys talk about sub Sonics and shorts ect.
I'd like to know more.

Dick

Ten Pointer
I have thought about a ssuppressor, but want to see what else it can try ammo wise 1st.

surveyor

Twelve Pointer
Don't complicate this.

Get a bolt gun and some subsonics and go hunt.

Some will feed both short and LR, but some shorts are high velocity and make the same crack.

Old tube fed guns are the ones most likely to take both.

All that being said, I have a 9422 and it feeds everything. It's a lever, not a bolt, but that's because I have style...

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
one problem with the standard load or subsonics is the drop. I shoot cci mini mags as the they do not drop near as much as stuff at lower velocities. I shot some standard CCi's the other day and then some mini mags and the drop of the standards at 50 was significant.

FishHunt

Twelve Pointer
If you don't want a suppressed .22 look at long barrel (22"+) bolt action rifles. My old Remington 581 rifles are pretty quiet with any subsonic ammo and really quiet shooting the CCI Quiets. My CZ 452 Lux is less noisy than my Remingtons.

<>< Fish

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
any gun non auto matched with cci standard velocity would be the first step. If trajectory is an issue....learn to guess guess and check. Guess how far he is, guess how high or low to aim, then check to see if you guessed correctly.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
any gun non auto matched with cci standard velocity would be the first step. If trajectory is an issue....learn to guess guess and check. Guess how far he is, guess how high or low to aim, then check to see if you guessed correctly.
this is true but the best play is to not guess as much and be exact. guess less and be on.

Reactions: DRS

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I like squirrel, they are fun to hunt and there's a billion of them where I hunt.

sorry,,, wrong thread - thought it was the one for the fellow wanting to shoot squirrels in his backyard cause they were terrorizing him or something,,,

reference your question

the CB types can have accuracy issues,,,I use them a lot, but mainly for critters at close range (think cage traps style :mosh:) but only for critters with weaker skulls (coon etc),,, cause they WILL bounce off a big beaver's head,,,

standard velocities normally give best accuracy,, and are quieter than the high velocity .22 rimfires,,,

I haven't had a gun muffler since I left the service,,, but that is likely next gun boondoggle,,,

if you want long range - get a 17hmr,,, but they is loud

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I shoot a BDC shotgun scope on my Steyer with 1050fps subs.

once you get it settled it, you can really reach out there with the subs using the holdovers.
I carry a rangefinder and hunt off the ground like bow hunting.

if I am shooting a corn pile I like to back up to about 100 and use the 17…

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
CZ’s new 457 in an American model now comes with a 24” barrel. To me, a suppressed squirrel shooter it has no allure. For you though, it’s a perfect barrel length for shooting standard velocity and subsonic rounds. The longer the barrel the quieter the shot.
I have a 29” barrel CZ ultra lux that is perfect for hushing down subsonics without the aide of a can. The downside is it’s like walking in the woods with a Shepards hook.

Last edited:

DrSpeed

Six Pointer
Going back to your original request, I would highly recommend CCI quiet CB shorts. make sure they say 29 grain, 710 fps on the box. The other CBs have a very high holdover because they are normally 550 fps or lower, but I have found the ccis to be very usable and consistent out to 75 yards or so.

if you end up with a suppressor, American eagle 45gr suppesor LR is very good too.

surveyor

Twelve Pointer
Going back to your original request, I would highly recommend CCI quiet CB shorts. make sure they say 29 grain, 710 fps on the box. The other CBs have a very high holdover because they are normally 550 fps or lower, but I have found the ccis to be very usable and consistent out to 75 yards or so.

if you end up with a suppressor, American eagle 45gr suppesor LR is very good too.
I had a gift card to Dunhams and went in there and all they had were trays of these. So I got 4 sleeves.

I can shoot from the back porch and no one inside hears me.

That's using my stylish 9422 of course.....

Steelshot

Six Pointer
Get a can. Put some type of medium in it if it will accept it. Sub sonics. Name that bad boy “hush puppy”. Use bolt gun and you won’t hear the bolt cycle of a sa

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Cci subsonic hollow points. They are a very accurate load in every .22lr that I have. Drop is no issue, i can head shoot any tree rat holding still out to 75 yards with my bolt savage and 50 yards with the old winchester 190 semi.
They are quite and hit hard. A friend shoots tbem with a suppressor and they are crazy quite.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Be careful with some of the super quiet rounds. Some of them can become a squib load. With that said, the consequences in a .22lr usually are not all that bad.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I’ve used cci .22 subsonic to dispatch all manner of vermin threatening my chickens or ducks, and I live in a neighborhood. The Winchester subsonic are loud enough that a neighbor might hear but I doubt it.

surveyor

Twelve Pointer
What did you get, @Dick ?

Just curious as I seen a number of Browning SA-22's for sale lately. Had one once and IIRC, it cycled subsonics ok....