I need grass...UPDATED

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
well, it's almost the right time of year to sow.

Best thing to do is sow this fall and put down pre-emergent a few times during the spring/summer next year, and fertilize in the spring so your grass gets well established before the summer heat..

Pre emergent goes down in late February. Once the soil reaches +\- 55 deg, summer annuals will germinate. Once they’ve germinated, the pre-M is useless.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Pre emergent goes down in late February. Once the soil reaches +\- 55 deg, summer annuals will germinate. Once they’ve germinated, the pre-M is useless.

Correct on the general purpose of pre-emergent, but you'll need to reapply again later around mid-May or else they will pop up throughout the summer.

Also, depending on location, it takes longer for some areas to reach that 55 degree soil temp. SouthEast NC vs near the NC/VA line above Roxboro vs NC Mts will all have different soil temps given a particular time of year.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Correct on the general purpose of pre-emergent, but you'll need to reapply again later around mid-May or else they will pop up throughout the summer.

Also, depending on location, it takes longer for some areas to reach that 55 degree soil temp. SouthEast NC vs near the NC/VA line above Roxboro vs NC Mts will all have different soil temps given a particular time of year.

Correct. I’m in the foothills.

I had a LOT of crabgrass, years ago. With one pre-M app, annually, I got it to 11 total plants in 2 seasons. Then.....none, the year after.

I’ll post a photo in a bit. The area photos used to have a 1/2 acre garden. All I did was treat, sow and groom.4949249493

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Camp Chemical in Roxboro can help with seed, fertilizer, and lime. I did the same as firedog and mine turned out good.
thumbs up for this.... was there today and dropped $600 plus On some 17x3 clover and brassicas and 50 lbs of a fescue blend they recommended. Nice folks and very helpful. Will be getting my chemicals there too in the spring.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
You can't put down enough lime up in these parts. My neighbor has a "lawn". He is constantly throwing seed and fertalizer at it but will not put out lime. He fights weeds and crabgrass constantly. Me, I've got a yard. Over the years, much of the back has turned to a low moss which I wish would take over the whole place. I'm planting the lower end of the yard in clover this fall. Shoot um out the bathroom window.
If ya start killing deer from a throne doesn’t that make ya some kinda whitetail king?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Well....... that could be the case. I'm waiting for this rain to stop so I can round-it-up and get ready to plant. That will cut about 30 min. out of my yard mowing time.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Well, it’s nuked, limed, plowed, seeded, and fertilized. Need a few bales here and there but I’m pretty well done.

If it grows it grows. If not, I’m right back where I started and I can say I tried(y)

Thanks for all the suggestions fellers!

Last edited:

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Correct. I’m in the foothills.

I had a LOT of crabgrass, years ago. With one pre-M app, annually, I got it to 11 total plants in 2 seasons. Then.....none, the year after.

I’ll post a photo in a bit. The area photos used to have a 1/2 acre garden. All I did was treat, sow and groom.View attachment 49492View attachment 49493

Out of curiosity, what Pre-M do you use? Obviously you have gotten very good results.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Fescue and cool season grass is a pain in the arse. Hard to survive the summer with no irrigation unless you mow it at 6”. I’m sure you have some natural Bermuda in the yard now. Just smoke all the broadleaf weeds with an ag grade chem. Then pre emerge in the spring. Sling the fert to it in the summer.
I suggest just mow it. If you repeat this process you will have a fine warm season grass established in a few seasons.
You can seed Bermuda also. Just wait untill July. You cannot cultivate enough. It will grow. Best thing about Bermuda is in the winter when it’s dormant you can spray round up right over top of the turf and clean it up, the weeds.

If not these guys are right.
Round up everything and tear it up with a airfier or plug it hard. Now is the time to plant fescues. Wait for the rain. Creeping fine fescue is the most shade tolerant. Pre emerge in the spring. Light fertilizer and lime. You can buy pre-m on a fertilizer carrier.

NCSU turfiles is a great resource.

Cheers

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for all the suggestions. Nuked it, limed, plowed, fertilized, seeded with Triple Threat fescue.

New lawn for less than $250
5c2e3d0489d54b53ed34d96eba35922f.jpg

Now let’s see if I can keep it alive[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Nice. This fall has been good grass growing weather. Other than the high temperatures this week, we've been getting cooler temps and just the right amount of rain. My grass is coming in nicely.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Dang, almost looks suburban. I thought you had a farm with a bunch of them trophy deer You post in pens or something.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Dang, almost looks suburban. I thought you had a farm with a bunch of them trophy deer You post in pens or something.
Looks that way don’t it? But I got cows out the back door, and a tree stand in the edge of the yard(y)

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Thanks for all the suggestions. Nuked it, limed, plowed, fertilized, seeded with Triple Threat fescue.

New lawn for less than $250
5c2e3d0489d54b53ed34d96eba35922f.jpg

Now let’s see if I can keep it alive[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice!!!!!!! I over-seeded my yard with triple threat plus. It’s good seed! Looks good!

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You did a great job. When the weeds poke through, repost with photos. We’ll get through that, too.
🙂

hawkman

Eight Pointer
It would be worth soil testing your yard. Your local County extension agent can help you with that if it's something you haven't done before. The testing of the soil is free at the NCDA. Most likely, the pH is high. A little bit of lime will help.

That being said, I've got the same situation in my yard. Time to apply my own advice to myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk