I might have to try spring gobbler hunting.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
We have a lot of birds. This looks like a big Tom to me.

88d34654419b6df913666ddd307a17f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
You and your son can have some fun. it's not hard to kill one. Can be extremely challenging if you decide to hunt them the old way.
it is a crime to waste them by not chasing them.
Good Luck if you go. Many of us here will help you in any way possible.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
We have a lot of birds. This looks like a big Tom to me.

88d34654419b6df913666ddd307a17f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right on that is a mature bird. Only takes Tom 2 years to mature. And no doubt you should give it try its so much more fun than deer due to interactiveness of the hunt not to mention its very effective to hunt with someone like a son unlike deer your hunting right together awesome bonding time. Get one gobbling and strutting in for your kid while your calling him in and that is memory for lifetime

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
You and QBD2 might be right. My wife already fusses about deer hunting, I may not want to poke the bear. :D
well if you get it right you can be home in plenty of time to have breakfast with her. No need to hunt them in the afternoon like the deer. It's a nice relaxing deal. If you want.

If you carry it to the extremes that some of us do she will indeed lay a fussing on you. one that honestly is deserved in my case. I think I am going to fix that. I think my afternoon til roost deals are over.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
If you would have told me 20 years ago I would feel the way I do about deer hunting today I would have laughed at you hysterically. I was raised in the deer woods. I lived for the fall. Deer hunting consumed me, it was all I could think about. That all changed that one faithful morning when I stumbled onto a particular lonely 2 year old gobbler. He gobbled probably 100 times on the limb and then finally flew down in sight about a hundred yards out and proceeded to take 20 minutes to cover the 70 yards he needed to be in range. He would stop,look, gobble and strut and drum every 5 steps or so. By the time he was in range I was so shook I proceeded to miss him 3 times, I think he is probably still flying, lol. That morning changed my life. Deer hunting had never affected me like that gobbler did. I decided right then I wanted to experience that as many times as possible and I would do whatever it took to make that happen. I still sit in a deer stand a couple of times a season, but it's mainly to fill the freezer. I still enjoy the solitude of sitting in a tree in the fall but I don't think or dream about it like I used to. I take all my vacation and personal days in the spring so I can experience as many spring mornings as possible every year. My comment about it ruining deer hunting was sort of tongue and cheek,but for me turkey hunting did ruin deer hunting for me.
Turkey hunting will ruin deer hunting for you.

Did for me barely have any interest in a deer anymore

I like chasing turkeys as much as the next man,,,my favorite hunts of the year,,,,but it don't ruin deer hunting for me,,,,different seasons and I like munching on deer meat too much!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

GUP

Eight Pointer
Turkey hunting will ruin deer hunting for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yep! Use to eat sleep and breath deer hunting. Until I started chasing those birds in the spring.
My deer hunting interest has died a slow painful death with each passing fall. Here it is Nov. 9 and I haven't set foot in the deer woods yet. Although with this nice cold weather coming this weekend I'll probably head to the stand for the first time.
Deer just don't do it for me like it use to. I can thank the turkeys for that.

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I decided to try to turkey hunt and learn on public land in 2016. Man I have been hooked since. Last year on Harris Archery, I called one in at 20 yards. Was sitting by a tree without a blind and a hen appeared behind me and gave away my location. Not much beats hearing and seeing a Tom gobble... Hopefully this year I will be able to get one but its so much more about the hunt than the kill. I am planning to take my son who turns 4 in May. I figured I should start him young. Good luck to you!

krausegd

Spike
First turkey hunt was last year. We came up empty handed for the season, but wow, it was so much more interactive than deer huntings "hurry and up and wait" mentality.

We pulled a few hens, but couldn't get a gobbler in range all season. Can't wait for this season.