I love winter fishing

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Pretty good example of winter bassin at Jordan Saturday.
38lbs five fish limit to win small tourney.
35 lbs second
Several 20lb+ limits.
On a cold raw day.
Of course by the pics I have been getting they have been biting there on the pretty days as well. :)
I heard the same thing but no details. If it’s who I think it is, those boys are tough this time of year on that pond. We have some amazing fisheries in this area if you can figure out the keys to unlocking them…You have to at least feel a bit of sorrow for that 2nd place bag. Bringing 35lbs to the scale and getting beat by 3lbs 😳

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I heard the same thing but no details. If it’s who I think it is, those boys are tough this time of year on that pond. We have some amazing fisheries in this area if you can figure out the keys to unlocking them…You have to at least feel a bit of sorrow for that 2nd place bag. Bringing 35lbs to the scale and getting beat by 3lbs 😳
brian Fritts was one of the winners. The gentleman that told me of the catch said it was Brian Thrift :) so I looked it up.
Piedmont has a facebook page with a link to a tournament results site that they use.
That kind of weight would suggest to me A rigs on the rip rap- yesterday was perfect for that but I dont know.
I saw some old locals listed who blanked that can catch them pretty good if they are on the bank.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
That place is like that this time of the year. It will make you scratch your head though if you don’t know what the deal is and even then It isn’t a lot of fun. Seeing all the Raleigh lakes in their current condition breaks my heart.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
What’s wrong with the current condition of the Raleigh lakes?

They’re just not what they used to be. At one time we had 3 of the best lakes in the entire world(Harris, jordan and falls) within a stones throw of each other. I fished them all multiple times a week. Wouldn’t drive from my house to the end of my driveway to fish any of them now. Jordan is only good when the fish pull up shallow, it has big ones in it but there are a lot better places to catch a higher number of big fish than jordan. Harris is just a cess pool without the grass…..and falls has just gone down hill especially over the past 10 years. Too much pressure on all 3. None are even a mere shadow of what they used to be. Sure you will look at tournament results on jordan certain times during the spring and think it’s great but tournament results tell you nothing about how a great a lake is during the spring.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
They’re just not what they used to be. At one time we had 3 of the best lakes in the entire world(Harris, jordan and falls) within a stones throw of each other. I fished them all multiple times a week. Wouldn’t drive from my house to the end of my driveway to fish any of them now. Jordan is only good when the fish pull up shallow, it has big ones in it but there are a lot better places to catch a higher number of big fish than jordan. Harris is just a cess pool without the grass…..and falls has just gone down hill especially over the past 10 years. Too much pressure on all 3. None are even a mere shadow of what they used to be. Sure you will look at tournament results on jordan certain times during the spring and think it’s great but tournament results tell you nothing about how a great a lake is during the spring.

Harris is definitely harder to fish now. I’ve not fished Jordan enough to know better.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Harris is definitely harder to fish now. I’ve not fished Jordan enough to know better.

Harris just breaks my heart as does falls. But all 3 of those lakes are much too small to receive the pressure they get. The Raleigh population is just out of control. I almost think falls has contracted the bass virus like buggs island and Gaston did. The fish population is just not there like it used to be. It used to be wall to wall 3-8 pounders just like Harris. I’ve only had 1 good day on falls in the past 4 years and it wasn’t spectacular. As stated about jordan it still has big ones but it’s so tough To fish most of the time. If I’m driving that way these days I’m going to buggs or one of the many other better lakes around Raleigh.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns

I bet there were 50 trucks in the parking lot off 64 when I was heading home at 11 this morning.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I bet there were 50 trucks in the parking lot off 64 when I was heading home at 11 this morning.

Don’t doubt it a bit. I’ve never seen lakes get the pressure that those 3 lakes receive especially this time of the year. I didn’t see another boat all day where I was. I hate that gas is so high but I hope it weeds out some of the traffic on the water.

Last edited:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Don’t doubt it a bit. I’ve never seen lakes get the pressure that those 3 lakes receive especially this time of the year. I didn’t see another boat all day where I was. I hate that gas is so high but I hope it weeds out some of the traffic on the water.

The guys on the lake didn't care about gas prices...saw bass boats rooster tailing like they were wide open to beat someone to a secret spot.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I left the house this morning knowing it was going to be a big fish day…..and I was right. Put a 7 pounder in the boat pretty early and then a 5.51. Then my misfortunes came. I lost 3 that appeared to be all over 6 lbs. ended up catching 15 and biggest 5 went for 23.44lbs. I love these cold breezy cloudy March days.

35A42BA5-AE55-44C7-9BC6-6DF6F53B88AB.jpegAC7962EF-AACC-418E-A7F8-130D969A8791.jpegC4E4FE63-8236-4322-8A4E-8D2FCA50BDA9.jpeg

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
753993F1-E174-4EFF-8A13-BFAD842DD697.jpeg

Well I wrapped up what was probably my last fishing day during the winter season and the spinnerbait bite finally turned on. Caught 19, only 1 under 3 lbs and lost another possible double digit fish. Did get a 6.17 and a 5.05. Looks like this prespawn bite might be winding down with warm stable weather coming but it was fun over the last month.

Last edited: