I just had a funny phone call

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
One of the neighbors where I hunt is a nice old lady but she doesn’t like hunters. One time, she told me that if a deer I shot died on her property I couldn’t have it and she’d give it a proper burial. But that was probably eight years ago. I’ve made a point of being nice to her and stopping by to visit occasionally, though not in camo. And she’s warmed up to me some. Today I nearly dropped the phone when she called me asking if I would come over and shoot the squirrels that were eating her eggs and being a general nuisance.

I have a good deal going where I hunt, it’s not a big piece but enough for one hunter. I’ve worked hard to get to know the neighbors, some because I might want drag permission or someone to haul me out of there in case I get hurt. But mostly because the people on that end of the road are just really nice people I enjoy spending time with.

So I’m going over there on Friday. I’m not a squirrel hunter, though. She called Chatham Sheriff who told her she could pop them all year if they were a nuisance and on her property. Is that right?

And can I sit on her porch and just go at it? Or will they just disappear the first time I pull a trigger? The only tools I have for this are a Remington 870 12 gauge and a suppressed 15-22 with a red dot. Would a 20 gauge be better?

Yea, I know this is pretty stupid, but I was just as stupid with deer years ago and you were patient with me then. So help me help this old lady who lives alone and has bad eyes.

KennyZeDevilDog

Eight Pointer
Suppressed .22 all day long. I love throwing shot just as much as the next guy, but given the sensitivity of the situation, I think she might appreciate the lack of damage as well as lack of noise. Even more so maybe avoid head shots so she doesn't have to worry about seeing brains. Everyone prefers a headshot except for the antis. But that's my take.

Last edited: