I hate TICKS!!

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Years back I soaked all of my hunting clothes and work pants. The work pants still seem to be working. I still have a couple pairs of those barely hanging on. I can’t remember if it’s a .1% mix or .05....or something like that. It’s a tiny amount for a roundup sprayer.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Primary doc prescribed 10 days of Doxycycline at 200 mg per day…. Whereas the video doc did 1 day of it
Same prescription my doc gave to me when I had three latch on to me in turkey season . She said not to mess around and take it when every you have one latch on. Only problem with doxycycline is it stops me up bad .Watch your diet ,eat plenty of fiber and drank lots of water maybe some stool softer. Good luck!

slugoo

Eight Pointer
I walked across a dove field that has gotten really grown up since winter with shorts on just before work to put a trail camera out. I was literally pulling ticks off my legs as I was walking. I rarely actually have ticks bite me, I usually catch them before they can do any damage. I'm not doing that again unless I have permethrin. No critter in the woods stresses me out more than a tick. Too many diseases they can carry. Especially that one where you can't eat red meat anymore.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Guess I’m just a lucky dude for the last 50 years,,,

One of my best friends/rabbit hunting buddy of mine had some "bad" blood work. Due to family history of cancer, leukemia came to mind. Worrisome. He had Lyme disease symptoms I never heard of. Dark spots on a lower leg, think it started with a dark spot on the bottom of the foot of the same leg. Feeling poorly. Last time he remembered he had a tick was about a year prior. Think he was put on doxycycline. He mentioned having untreated long term Lyme disease can cause neurological, other problems. Google says this about same.

"Untreated Lyme disease can cause: Chronic joint inflammation (Lyme arthritis), particularly of the knee. Neurological symptoms, such as facial palsy and neuropathy. Cognitive defects, such as impaired memory.".

I HATE ticks. Ticks and black widows kinda give me the woolies. Really the only things that do.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
likely,,, acid,,, it was real bad when I was in high school,,, skin would eat watches and such over time,,,,
Same here, but that has recently changed. I guess I'm getting sweeter in my older age, starting to bleed easier, ticks are finding me very appealing this year.
Chiggers have found me delicious for awhile now, they opened the food truck a few years ago.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I was in the woods for almost 2 hours yesterday hanging cameras throwing out corn and salt and not one tick. Wearing shorts and no deet or any repellent and wading through waist high saplings and broomstaw but I was in hardwoods. Now if I go down on the creek where 50 acres of loblollie grows I will have them crawling my legs within ten minutes. And always dog ticks,I have never got a deer tick on me here in cabarrus county. I have got them in uwharrie but never here. What is different between two counties that deer dont have ticks? Soil? And why more dog ticks in pines than hardwoods?

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
I was in the woods for almost 2 hours yesterday hanging cameras throwing out corn and salt and not one tick. Wearing shorts and no deet or any repellent and wading through waist high saplings and broomstaw but I was in hardwoods. Now if I go down on the creek where 50 acres of loblollie grows I will have them crawling my legs within ten minutes. And always dog ticks,I have never got a deer tick on me here in cabarrus county. I have got them in uwharrie but never here. What is different between two counties that deer dont have ticks? Soil? And why more dog ticks in pines than hardwoods?
I think you may be right about the pines. I had not had a tick on me in about ten years while turkey hunting until this year. Only difference is in the past I would normally hunt mostly hardwoods. But this year I set up a ground blind in a patch of planted pines on the edge of a small field to hunt on rainy days. Had ticks on me about every time that I hunted that ground blind . If I set up that blind next year I am going to spray it good with permethrin before the season.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
So 200 mg of Doxycycline and all kinds of weird side effects (never had anything medicine wise bother me)…. Doctor changed my meds to 1500 mg/day of Amoxicillin for 14 days.

Bite looks better… most of the side effects from Doxycycline are gone. Some other issues may be from the tick bite.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So 200 mg of Doxycycline and all kinds of weird side effects (never had anything medicine wise bother me)…. Doctor changed my meds to 1500 mg/day of Amoxicillin for 14 days.

Bite looks better… most of the side effects from Doxycycline are gone. Some other issues may be from the tick bite.
I hope they told you to eat plenty of yogurt with live cultures...if not, get some and eat it.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer

I had to take two rounds of Doxy after I had one last year. I broke the head off pulling it off me & it stayed inflamed for quite some time. I hate those things.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
He's already gonna have the can't help it's..no sense ending with a residual burn. Better to eat yogurt or ice cream :)
I had to take alot of antibiotics after a bad deal with dental surgery, and I mean alot of them. Surgeon started me on the wrong ones so I ended up going through amoxicillin, augmentation and then clindamycin which ruined my digestive tract. Friend of mine give me some vinegar with mother in it,48 hours later I was good to go

I would rather a tick bite than chiggers! The incessant itching drives me crazy. I will scratch till I draw blood and then pour alcohol on it because I would rather feel the burning than the itching.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
He's already gonna have the can't help it's..no sense ending with a residual burn. Better to eat yogurt or ice cream :)
I finally bit the bullet and figured Id buy the more expensive probiotics with the higher count of cultures. Antibiotics usually kill my stomach no matter what. I spent the extra money and got a brand that said 20 billion live cultures. I had very low expectations. I’ve been on Doxy since June 14th and haven’t had a single stomach issue . Normally I’m using the cheapest bottle of probiotics and eating yogurt like crazy and my stomach is wrecked for weeks . Definitely nice to not be dealing with the trots on top of all the other symptoms !

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
There is some good news for anyone with alpha-gal (meat allergy) from a tick bite. My daughter contracted it 10 years ago and just in the last year she can eat all hooved red meat. Some people it can happen sooner, so good luck with that. As for me I'm screwed as far as my shellfish allergy I developed at the age of 50 . :(