I guess I got lucky this time

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am one happy man tonight. Batman treed his own coon and had the meat! This pup is gifted. If I don't screw him up I'll have something. Now he is one trashy devil, he treed a couple grinners before he got to the coon but I ain't complaining I'll take care of that. He and Rampage about killed this old man tonight.

Batman treed a grinner right off the bat. While I was checking that out Rampage got about 1/2 mile in and got treed on a big oak. I looked it over hard but couldn't see anything but there was plenty of places in the leaves for one to hide. I started back toward the 4 wheeler and was about 3-400 yds from it when I decided to set down and see what they would come up with.

I looked on the Garmin and they were already 600+ out. Again they hit on something and both opened on track and soon split up. Rampage went almost a mile and treed solid. Batman had worked around about 850 out and was working a track it appeared so I took off to Rampage. Right about the time I got to Rampage Batman treed in. I found Rampage's tree and took some pics and knocked it out and got a line to Batman who was right at 3/4 mile. We got to him and he was in a low lying area next to a swamp. He was treed in a tall poplar and I could see most of it from the side I walked up on and nothing. I started making my way around it and every way I tried to look the understory had me blocked. I had almost made it around the tree and I got an opening and there was a limb sticking out on the tree and there laid the coon. I was as happy as a pig in crap. I leashed up Rampage and knocked that thing out! This pup has all the tools, all I have to do is hunt him. I sure like him.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They did, I won't make the mistake of hunting those two together on a regular basis anymore.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah they are allot of fun...............................to you get your favorite dog wearing a MB550 for a bracelet like tonight. Of course no tag, no swivel or shortened chain or shock absorbing device. Not to mention the fact the landowner had no clue anyone was trapping on him. If I wasn't wearing Carhartt stuff I would have been eaten alive, that boy wasn't one bit happy about his new jewelry. Luckily it didn't take long and I got his leg and the trap between my legs and I just squatted down and leaned over so he couldn't get to my head and released him. Soon as he realized I was helping him he was busy making nice. If you have two people you can throw a coat over them and it is pretty easy. Or if they are in there a while, many you can step on each side and release them. He was too jumpy for the easy ways.

I just hope the local GW finds the "trapper" before he realizes the gig is up on him.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah they are allot of fun...............................to you get your favorite dog wearing a MB550 for a bracelet like tonight. Of course no tag, no swivel or shortened chain or shock absorbing device. Not to mention the fact the landowner had no clue anyone was trapping on him. If I wasn't wearing Carhartt stuff I would have been eaten alive, that boy wasn't one bit happy about his new jewelry. Luckily it didn't take long and I got his leg and the trap between my legs and I just squatted down and leaned over so he couldn't get to my head and released him. Soon as he realized I was helping him he was busy making nice. If you have two people you can throw a coat over them and it is pretty easy. Or if they are in there a while, many you can step on each side and release them. He was too jumpy for the easy ways.

I just hope the local GW finds the "trapper" before he realizes the gig is up on him.
I know what you mean,I had my main dog,the one I hunted the longest in traps a couple times...one time both front feet in a fox set....lucky for me he would tree bark when he was caught...before tracking collar days.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know what you mean,I had my main dog,the one I hunted the longest in traps a couple times...one time both front feet in a fox set....lucky for me he would tree bark when he was caught...before tracking collar days.
Mine was screaming his head off, no doubt what was going on, he was scared to death.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Man that sucks, those 550's have quite a spread and some power behind them. Glad he came out good overall.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Poor dog. I remember one of my grandfathers dogs got caught in a trap. I was just a young kid and started to run in to get him out of the trap but my grandfather grabbed me. That poor hound would have gone up and down on me like a rat on a rafter and I didn't know any better. He threw his coat over the dog and we got him out luckily with very little damage.