I’m Jeff, and I’m a terrible knife sharpener

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Have you considered Wicked Edge? Lol. You should be able to swing one of those.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
mine arent as sharp as i expect them to be but i have shaved fingernails and few finger tips

At the time, I was making mine sharp enough to cut completely through 1/2" handline wrapped with electrical tape with one strong pull.
I just couldn't do that with a stone. I had to improvise.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Ho ace

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I vouch for the work sharp original. Got one for Christmas and easily put a very sharp edge back on every dull knife around.

I also have an old Warthog that I maintain my skinning and pocket knives with. Love that thing.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
has anyone ever tried an old fashioned wet stone?

Yes. And if I kept using one I would have burned through it several years ago, my Buck knife would look about as thick as a butter knife, and would be about as sharp.

Using a whetstone is an art. I am not artistic. I will never. Ever. Not in one million years, be able to use one of those god cursed things. So...lets move on to things that might actually work.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Yes. And if I kept using one I would have burned through it several years ago, my Buck knife would look about as thick as a butter knife, and would be about as sharp.

Using a whetstone is an art. I am not artistic. I will never. Ever. Not in one million years, be able to use one of those god cursed things. So...lets move on to things that might actually work.
They work. And have for thousands of years. Seems evolution may have passed you by my friend;)

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I also have an "Edgemaker Pro".
It is a pull-through type sharpener. Unbelievably good, and the ease of use is unreal. Got it at a gun show over 20 years ago.
For serrated blades like Spyderco, I use a stiletto type hook sharpener to gently sharpen the edges of the serrations.
*Note of caution*--- if you check the sharpness with your thumb, you will need stitches or a band-aid.
I use the Edgemaker and it does an awesome job......very portable....

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Not expensive made by Rada mfg here in NC I believe. Sharpens real quick, you can see metal fillings after just a few strokes. The round washers kinda puts a hollow grind edge on knives. I use it for kitchen knives as well as skinning for deer and cows and is as quick as a good steel

Attachments

• 20210123_202143.jpg
    20210123_202143.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 25

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Not expensive made by Rada mfg here in NC I believe. Sharpens real quick, you can see metal fillings after just a few strokes. The round washers kinda puts a hollow grind edge on knives. I use it for kitchen knives as well as skinning for deer and cows and is as quick as a good steel
Used one of these when we teamed up to skin the bear I killed this season. I took a few cheap shots at the guy who pulled it out ...till I tried it. Worked great. As far as something you can pull out of your pocket and sit on the tailgate next to the skinning gambrel is concerned, I was impressed

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
As I was sharpening some knives on my Ken Onion Work Sharp, I realized that it was designed for right handers. Something to remember when people ask for recommendations.