I’m Jeff, and I’m a terrible knife sharpener

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
First step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

It’s not that I “can’t” sharpen a knife. It’s just that I don’t really want to take the time it takes ME to get them really sharp.

I have a Lansky, and I can get GOOD steel razor sharp. It just takes a while. I can get my Spyderco “workable sharp” with a simple stone.

I want to buy something that will get our kitchen knives and EVERYTHING else sharp, quickly.

What do I buy?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Work Sharp. Did you miss that craze a few years back?

IMO, nothing will get knives sharper faster. I'd say it's about 1-2 minutes per knife. I can do the whole kitchen in 15-20 minutes. The purists might balk at it. And it absolutely will wear your knives faster than hand sharpening. Takes a little practice not to round off the points. But if you want sharp and fast, it's the ticket.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I gave up trying myself.

I am fortunate to have customer who does it professionally. I get knives sharpened and his dogs get biscuits and kibble.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Buy a Work Sharp and a good diamond stick hone like Dexter - Russell and you'll find yourself keeping shaving edges on all your kitchen knives as well as your hunting and fishing stuff.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The only thing i don't like about my worksharp is how quickly the 6000 grit belts wear out.

Other than that it will take a knife from dull as a babys a$$ to razor sharp in less than 5 minutes....really more like less than 3 minutes. A few pulls through with the 220 grit on both sides, then a few pulls with the 6000 grit and its shaving.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
The only thing i don't like about my worksharp is how quickly the 6000 grit belts wear out.

Other than that it will take a knife from dull as a babys a$$ to razor sharp in less than 5 minutes....really more like less than 3 minutes. A few pulls through with the 220 grit on both sides, then a few pulls with the 6000 grit and its shaving.

Ken Onion or Original Work Sharp? Work Sharp offers boxes of belts in one grit size. Instead of buying a box of assorted grits, buy the boxes of one size that you use most often. There is even a 12,000 grit belt.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ken Onion or Original Work Sharp? Work Sharp offers boxes of belts in one grit size. Instead of buying a box of assorted grits, buy the boxes of one size that you use most often. There is even a 12,000 grit belt.
Mine is the original. I have bought the 6000 grit belts separate like you are talking about several times. Seems like i go through an entire package of the 6000 grit belts around the same time i wear out just 2 of the 220 belts.

I haven't seen the 12,000 grit ones. I typically just picked up belts at the store vs online. Might have to check that out!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I agree. I watched a video once on cleaning the 6000 belts to get more life out of them, but they still wear out too fast for my liking. That is the belt getting 90% of the work.

Last edited:
Green polishing compound and an old leather belt. Stropping to keep the edge sharp means you don't have to use the stones/worksharp/etc but rarely. It really is amazing how a couple swipes on the strop can bring an almost sharp edge back to life.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Green polishing compound and an old leather belt. Stropping to keep the edge sharp means you don't have to use the stones/worksharp/etc but rarely. It really is amazing how a couple swipes on the strop can bring an almost sharp edge back to life.

What grit is the green compound?

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Work Sharp. Did you miss that craze a few years back?

IMO, nothing will get knives sharper faster. I'd say it's about 1-2 minutes per knife. I can do the whole kitchen in 15-20 minutes. The purists might balk at it. And it absolutely will wear your knives faster than hand sharpening. Takes a little practice not to round off the points. But if you want sharp and fast, it's the ticket.

I looked before I posted (at them). Which model?

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Buy a Work Sharp and a good diamond stick hone like Dexter - Russell and you'll find yourself keeping shaving edges on all your kitchen knives as well as your hunting and fishing stuff.

Do you have a work sharp, Eric? If so...which model....and can I watch you to figure out the best method? Dead serious.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do you have a work sharp, Eric? If so...which model....and can I watch you to figure out the best method? Dead serious.
I actually have two of the regular Work Sharp tools. I got them for Christmas a few years back from two different friends, same year.
I have one in my shop and one in the house. You're welcome to come over and I'll run you through the steps, then take one home and sharpen up your knives. I need to order some new belts anyway.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ken onion was on sale yesterday.
129 I believe. 199 for a full kit with an extra attachment for grinding and shaping.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I actually have two of the regular Work Sharp tools. I got them for Christmas a few years back from two different friends, same year.
I have one in my shop and one in the house. You're welcome to come over and I'll run you through the steps, then take one home and sharpen up your knives. I need to order some new belts anyway.

Thanks, pal. I'll do it....if you send me a link to the belts YOU and I will need (I'll probably order one). I'll order replacements when I order my unit.

Thanks again.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

The original Work Sharp has fixed angles for sharpening and uses a 1/2" wide belt. The Ken Onion Edition has a variable angle setting from 15 to 30 degrees and uses a 3/4" wide belt. I like the extra features of the Ken Onion Edition so I was willing to pay extra for that. It's easier to round the tip on the original than the Ken Onion.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks, pal. I'll do it....if you send me a link to the belts YOU and I will need (I'll probably order one). I'll order replacements when I order my unit.

Thanks again.
If you decide to get the Ken Onion version it takes a different belt(wider..1/2 vs 3/4 inch.).so Don't worry about that until you decide which one you are going to buy. I'd have the Ken Onion version if I didn't get the other versions first for Christmas, the Ken Onion version has a variable speed and an adjustable cutting edge guide as well as a much bigger and stronger motor.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you decide to get the Ken Onion version it takes a different belt(wider..1/2 vs 3/4 inch.).so Don't worry about that until you decide which one you are going to buy. I'd have the Ken Onion version if I didn't get the other versions first for Christmas, the Ken Onion version has a variable speed and an adjustable cutting edge guide as well as a much bigger and stronger motor.

I'm gonna buy whichever one you tell me to ;)

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got the regular as a gift, but I'd probably go Ken Onion now.

On mine it's just a couple passes on each side with the red belt, and then 10-12 on the purple belt each side and you've got a very sharp knife. For just touching up, skip the red belt and just do the purple.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I also have an "Edgemaker Pro".
It is a pull-through type sharpener. Unbelievably good, and the ease of use is unreal. Got it at a gun show over 20 years ago.
For serrated blades like Spyderco, I use a stiletto type hook sharpener to gently sharpen the edges of the serrations.
*Note of caution*--- if you check the sharpness with your thumb, you will need stitches or a band-aid.