Hydroponics

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone on here participate in hydroponic agriculture.

I want to try it out. Tough time to order supplies now.

Anyone have any pictures or experience to share. I am wanting to build a small scale nft system and couple Aeroponic systems using.

Has anyone else dabbled in this? Know if anyway to build a system without needing to order online?

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
My DIL has a couple of Tower Gardens which is a type of hydroponic and she's a dealer for them also. They can't produce as much as a surface garden but do fill a niche for some people.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is your daughter local? I like the tower garden idea. I’ve looked at those for a couple years.

I’ve built an aerological tote with sprayer heads and also a couple deep water buckets with an air pump. Currently have lettuce starting. Hoping to put the stuff together over next weekend.

I have a small garden and a couple beds at my house. I help Dad with his as well. I am dabbling with it. I would like to eventually build a hoop house for growing in the winter time. Not sure if I would want to use a hydro system or beds. Possibly a combination of both. I had a Kratky system in my Kitchen going and did not know it.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Atlantic Garden has some stuff on the floor in their shop. If you're in Raleigh it may be worth looking at. Not sure what's what as I have a simple surface garden.

benconfused

Button Buck
Just learned about this the other. Saw a cool picture with the fish tank at the bottom. However the scale was 5 ft wide and 60 ft long. MUCH bigger than what I need in my backyard but I do like the idea of having a fish resource in addition to veggies.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Aquaponics. Seemed much more complex. Possibly a future thing, but trying it out small scale right now.

Most in the aquaponics field use some type of tilapia.....but catfish do better in some areas. Tilapia are fairly temperature tolerant....but catfish are about the most temperature tolerant that you can find. They just don’t convert food to lbs as well.

I imagine some of the fish you find in the eastern swamps would be good. Warmouth or goggleeyes have always been more tolerant in bait tanks for me.

benconfused

Button Buck
I'm good with Tilapia over catfish any day. I imagine they'd do well in middle TN. What type of veggies have you seen success with in Aquaponics?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm good with Tilapia over catfish any day. I imagine they'd do well in middle TN. What type of veggies have you seen success with in Aquaponics?

I don’t know. Just trying it out now. Most of the info I see involved a lot of leafy greens. I’m sure anything can be grown besides root vege a but probably less output vs the input.

I’m just researching and trying some stuff myself.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Should be putting a couple tomato plants in today. Lettuce and spinach maybe next weekend. I have those started. Trying to figure out if I need to put a weak/mild mix of nutrient mix to the seedlings. They started quick but have slowed down in the last couple of days.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What size are you boxes?

Currently just messing with a 27 gallon tote and 5 gallon buckets.

The tomato’s seem to be growing. Lettuce and small peppers doing okay in the tote.

The aero system out of a barrel is one I wish I had started with. Probably the cheapest I have seen.

I need to pick up some pool noodles for the top of the pots. Shipping the stuff right now is ridiculous. Some of it is 30 or more days out to get the stuff.

Places that will ship it fast are much more expensive for the items.