Hyde County Blind Laws?

Any man looking to prosper off another man's sweat ain't worth a bag of dog **** anyways
I'm I crazy? Most likely....but no where near the craziest around these parts. I think it might be something in the water.

Last edited:

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I am considering placing a camper in the median of Hwy 64 and demand that DOT shut down traffic on that road between Manteo and Columbia from 11pm to 6am every night so I can get a good night sleep;.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Any man looking to prosper off another man's sweat ain't worth a bag of dog **** anyways
I'm I crazy? Most likely....but no where near the craziest around these parts. I think it might be something in the water.

Just hunt out of a float rig and stop trying to claim public water.

I am considering placing a camper in the median of Hwy 64 and demand that DOT shut down traffic on that road between Manteo and Columbia from 11pm to 6am every night so I can get a good night sleep;.
A12pak of Busch light and a couple advil pm do the trick for me

And I do. I don't own a blind anymore.
Last time I went to hyde I didn't hunt at all though. It was so many 16 foot Jon's out there it won't a spot 100 yards between. No shit...turn around and went back to the hill. It was 10 times more decoys than there where ducks in that bay, easy

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
My apologies for getting off topic, folks. I'm done with this one.
A12pak of Busch light and a couple advil pm do the trick for me
I was just joking, yours seems like a better solution. I just want to hunt the locations in the sound I have always hunted. I never set up near anyone's blind or near another hunter who was there first. Just don't want BS telling me what I can and cannot do.

kahunter

Six Pointer
Damn I think I hit a nerve with my private blind buffer. Would be nice to be able to buy land and know some jackasses wont set up 5 yards offshore right in front of you blind any time they wanted every 100 yards up and down your shore . Im not saying tie up the whole sound but a little buffer from my blind when occupied 1 hour before shooting light on my land on the edge of the water isnt crazy. Seems like a very reasonable middle ground for everyone. Ofcourse someone will abuse it but someone abuses everything somehow nowadays

kahunter

Six Pointer
kahunter, no one has ever said otherwise. The problem is that they don't want a buffer, they want exclusivity. I can't think of anyone who would object to a buffer zone around a occupied blind. But it is public water so the "buffer" needs to be around any hunter, on a first come, first served basis.
It looks like everyone is objecting to it.

Steelshot Scott

Button Buck
I am not aware of anyone against a buffer zone around a occupied blind. Some are objecting to blinds built on public water(I actually agree with completely banning all blinds on public water). Some are saying that a blind on public water should be treated like private property. Simple fact is that any blind built on public water is by definition, public property. You can't stop people from hunting in it. Some are objecting to restrictive blind laws like Pamlico and Carteret Counties. I am in that camp as well. Currituck and Dare got drug into the conversation as well, due to supporters of the laws there over-reacting to a slight criticism of Dare County's Wildlife Commission type system being set up in Hyde and the over-the-top reaction to it. Dare and Currituck weren't on my radar at that time, but they are now that I have been hearing from so many people from those two counties.

People are differing between my position of a 200 yard buffer and a 500 yard buffer. But I don't remember anyone objecting to a buffer for landowners that are there first, unless there are some Libertarians on here that are proposing "Law of the Jungle" type of hands off policies.

The problem and the objections for the most part are that some people think a blind is a reserved sign at that spot. No one else can hunt there because"I built a blind here".

Public water should be on a first come, first served basis. Irregardless of whether the blind in question is built on land or on the water.

It is our water, maintained by our tax dollars, accessed by ramps built by our tax dollars, patrolled by GWs that we pay with our tax dollars.

When the blind owners in these places pay for there own services(not every citizen of the county, only the blind owners), they will have better moral standing to make the argument that the water belongs to them.

Sss, I have no problem with your proposed 200 yard buffer from an occupied blind.....but if the next 5 go like the past 10 years, it ain't gonna matter. There will be no ducks at all.

If we are gonna pull together and fight for something, why not tackle something that is important NOW.

I agree high amounts of rain have contributed to the kill off of SAV....but only because it contributes more run off and higher water tables.

We should be pulling together and fighting for something. But, it should be to putting an end to 2,4,D/ agent orange.

I have no hard evidence at all but I have a little sense.

Dingbatter

Button Buck
And I do. I don't own a blind anymore.
Last time I went to hyde I didn't hunt at all though. It was so many 16 foot Jon's out there it won't a spot 100 yards between. No shit...turn around and went back to the hill. It was 10 times more decoys than there where ducks in that bay, easy
Last time I went to Hyde I saw the same. Plus squatters on game lands set up like it was a campground. I knew Hyde was screwed and never went back. Haven't missed it one bit.

kahunter

Six Pointer
They will never have moral standing to claim public water. It belongs to everyone. It is the one place where the State's richest man and the poorest man have equal and unbridles access.
What i was saying is not about permanently claiming public water. Duck hunters have shown as a whole we cannot regulate ourselves. Its a shame but we need some laws to keep things civil and fun for all. Most of our public permit impoundments have blinds in them now bc we couldnt handle not setting up on top of each other. There should be something in place for an occupied blind. 200 yards is not enough for Hyde county or most coastal counties. 200 may work in some places but not hyde. If you are 200 yards away from me on open water you are on top of me. 500 yards is necessary. I am 100% against ghost blinds or unoccupied blind buffers or the SHL. But we need something to keep someone off of you if you are in a spot and hunting. We clearly cant regulate ourselves.

kahunter

Six Pointer
Sss, I have no problem with your proposed 200 yard buffer from an occupied blind.....but if the next 5 go like the past 10 years, it ain't gonna matter. There will be no ducks at all.

If we are gonna pull together and fight for something, why not tackle something that is important NOW.

I agree high amounts of rain have contributed to the kill off of SAV....but only because it contributes more run off and higher water tables.

We should be pulling together and fighting for something. But, it should be to putting an end to 2,4,D/ agent orange.

I have no hard evidence at all but I have a little sense.
I agree with you 100% on the SAV. You know the state of SAVs is bad in NC when Lake mattamuskeet has 0% coverage. Where do you go from here?? How do you get something changed to help this problem? The only good thing is we have no where to go but up.

FITZH2O

Ten Pointer
Damn I think I hit a nerve with my private blind buffer. Would be nice to be able to buy land and know some jackasses wont set up 5 yards offshore right in front of you blind any time they wanted every 100 yards up and down your shore . Im not saying tie up the whole sound but a little buffer from my blind when occupied 1 hour before shooting light on my land on the edge of the water isnt crazy. Seems like a very reasonable middle ground for everyone. Ofcourse someone will abuse it but someone abuses everything somehow nowadays
I always liked the “occupied 1 hour before LST” thing, I may have misread your post and thought you were talking about current SHL BS.

Steelshot Scott

Button Buck
Occupied by 1 hour before LST has always been a cornerstone of our proposed changes to the SHL legislation. On a first come, first served basis.

I agree with you 100% on the SAV. You know the state of SAVs is bad in NC when Lake mattamuskeet has 0% coverage. Where do you go from here?? How do you get something changed to help this problem? The only good thing is we have no where to go but up.
Maybe contact DU and get them back involved like they were back in '04?

Dingbatter

Button Buck
Wasn't there a meeting in Pamlico Co a few years ago and some guys from Delta showed up in support of the HSL there. I would not put much faith of getting support from any of these groups

shurshot

Six Pointer
Wasn't there a meeting in Pamlico Co a few years ago and some guys from Delta showed up in support of the HSL there. I would not put much faith of getting support from any of these groups
There are a TON of articles addressing the problems of the Lake and surrounding watershed. A lot of groups, both private and public pulling resources to come up with a plan. Below is a long but good article on the matter and how the Coastal Federation is getting involved.

Very seldom see a tractor on the road anymore but theres tons of sprayers, fertilizer trucks and crop dusters the year long. I blame no till

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
gangrig, I think you are spot on. The locals in Hyde observe that the bass fishing in Skeet as well as the grass started going away with the increase in cotton production.

There are a lot of studies regarding the sounds and Lake Mattamuskeet. that is all they are, studies. No one is taking any serious action. In Chesapeake Bay groups have undertaken a lot of actions to restore sub aquatic vegetation there. A lot of ducks that use to come our way stay there because of the grass.

There are still a ton of ducks in the coastal counties where some of the landowners have made huge commitments to feed them. It is private land, little pressure, lots of food, no blind laws.

By the way, the carp in Mattamuskeet are an invasive species. They population has been growing for years, the managers of the lake have known about it and have done nothing.and are doing nothing.

Clark

Four Pointer
Regarding water quality, we used to shellfish in some of these waters:

Roy Cooper
Governor
Michael S. Regan
Secretary
Steve Murphey
Director
Release: ImmediateContact: Megan Thorpe
Date: March 15, 2019Phone: 919-707-0968

More than 2,500 acres of shellfish waters closing to harvest
MOREHEAD CITY – The Division of Marine Fisheries will close 2,877 acres of shellfish waters to shellfish harvest today due to high fecal coliform bacteria pollution.

The closures will take effect at sunset and are based on annual reports that consider the last 30 water samples (about 5 years of data) taken in each growing area. If the bacteria levels are found to exceed the national standards for safe shellfish harvest, the waters must close to shellfishing.

Staff with the division’s Shellfish Sanitation and Recreational Water Quality Section believe the high rainfall in 2014, 2015, and 2018 contributed to these changes.

Most of the larger closure areas are being classified as conditionally approved closed, which means they may still be able to open during dry periods. In addition, the division will continue to monitor the waters in case any meet the criteria to be reclassified as open.

The following waters are changing from conditionally approved open to conditionally approved closed:

• 255 acres in Lockwoods Folly River upstream of a line from Spring Creek to Horse Island
  • 613 acres in Great Creek and Ditch Cove, tributaries of Jarrett Bay near Davis
  • 53 acres of the Intracoastal Waterway around Peden Point and IWW Marker 141 in Masonboro Sound
  • 33 acres in Newport River, just beyond the current closure line
The following waters are changing from conditionally approved open to restricted:

• 20 acres around the mouth of Dicks Creek off of Queens Creek
The following waters are changing from approved to restricted:
  • 1,140 acres in South River upstream of a line across the river beginning just south of Big Creek and the Division of Marine Fisheries facility
  • 6 acres in a small bay off of Bogue Sound near the end of Bogue Sound Drive in Emerald Isle.
  • 80 acres in the Intracoastal Waterway between the Hobucken Bridge and the junction with Upper Spring Creek
  • 230 acres upstream of the mouth of Lower Spring Creek Off Goose Creek
  • 45 acres upstream of the mouth of Satterthwaite Creek off Pungo River
  • 27 acres of Oyster Creek near Lowland
  • 80 acres in Croatan Sound expanding the existing closure at the south end of Wanchese around the "Cut Through"
The following waters are changing from approved to prohibited:
  • 33 acres along the shore southeast of the Cedar Island Ferry Terminal in Pamlico Sound
  • 7 acres around the mouth of the Cedar Island Community Boat Harbor extending to Beacon 8 in Cedar Island Bay
  • 205 acres in Eastham Creek off of Goose Creek up to Marker 3 near the mouth
  • 34 acres around the mouth of Jordan Creek off the Pungo River
  • 3 acres in Point Peter Canal, an agricultural canal off of Croatan Sound near Stumpy Point
  • 13 acres in Baumtown Road Canals, a series of marsh canals north of Baumtown Road in Wanchese
For more specifics on the closures, including GIS coordinates, see Proclamation PA-PC-2019 at http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/proclamations-polluted-areas.

For more information, contact Shannon Jenkins, chief of the Division of Marine Fisheries’ Shellfish Sanitation and Recreational Water Quality Section, at 252-808-8148 or shannon.jenkins@ncdenr.gov.

###​

What gets me is it's the same ol song and dance....the source of the problem is never called out and nothing is done to change the fact. They can plant all the grass and dig ditches from here to China but all they're doing is pissing in the wind if the real problem is not addressed.
Health concerns are also an issue. It's no secret that this part of the state is among the top for cancer and high blood pressure, now dementia is on the rise also. Could they be related? I'd say it's a very good chance.

Inshore duck

Six Pointer
What gets me is it's the same ol song and dance....the source of the problem is never called out and nothing is done to change the fact. They can plant all the grass and dig ditches from here to China but all they're doing is pissing in the wind if the real problem is not addressed.
Health concerns are also an issue. It's no secret that this part of the state is among the top for cancer and high blood pressure, now dementia is on the rise also. Could they be related? I'd say it's a very good chance.
The east is high in cancer, hypertension, diabetes etc due to obesity. Low socioeconomic areas are normally fat. They make poor food choices, smoke and don’t exercise. But that has nothing to do with the SAV At Mattamuskett. Of course AOC might wager fat people fart more and cause increased greenhouse gases.