Hyde County Blind Laws?

Personally I feel going out at 1,2,3,4 or even 5 in the morning and sitting up hours before light is part of the problem. For one its very dangerous, it also busts up resting birds and it's also very hard to judge distance in the dark. I've done it many times in years past but I wait till first light anymore....I guess I'm what some of yall consider a "straggler"....I see it a wiser.

Southern

Eight Pointer
So Hyde’s problem is impoundments? Because up until 3-5 years ago we had great seasons. I don’t think those 3 clubs on North Lake dumping corn made that big of a difference out of the 1000+ corn impoundments in Hyde county. 99% of impoundment owners aren’t dumping corn it’s too risky with the daily-weekly fly overs. You will get caught. Why have 5-700 dollars per acre in crop/flooding just to dump more corn. The numbers aren’t down but the birds aren’t here. The flyway is shifting, birds aren’t migrating as far south. Nest success is based on who gets back to the grounds first. Ducks aren’t stupid they have figured out if I don’t fly as far south I can beat the other birds back. This has been aided by warmer winters. I really appreciate your efforts against the SHL but I think we may be going down a rabbit hole here.

Exactly what I have been saying all along. Let me add one more thing. Pressure has educated the birds that are in Hyde County, to the point of seeing thousands flood into an impoundment the minute after legal shooting hours. Mine knew when to leave in the morning also. I could walk into to thousands upon thousands of ducks in the morning, could barely get them out of the way to walk to the blind then the minute before legal, they would leave. This also goes back to the goose era in Hyde. There was a legal cutoff time , I think it was 4:30 in the afternoon. At 4;31 the geese would flood the fields.
Some of our problems with ducks are also due to evolution due to pressure.

It goes back to common sense and we have to laws many to protect the stupid already....if any of us dont want to have another hunting 200 or whatever yards away we shouldn't hunt an area where its likely to happen, and if we do we have no room to bitch about it

Last edited:

Steelshot Scott

Button Buck
People who think it's fine to straggle in and tie out 200 yds downwind of somebody whose been set up for an hour are a big part of the problem. 200 yds is ridiculous.
Gus, I understand what you are saying. 500 yards would however, be problematic. It is almost a 1/2 mile. A half mile in some places is not a problem, but it is in others.

On the sound, where you might set up in the back of a bay, someone might come and set up in the back of the next bay over. This is not a problem of proximity with the two hunters as far as hunting goes, but as the bird flies they are within 500 yards of each other. With divers, flying low on the water, one bay over might as well be over the horizon. But set up in the next bay would be a violation. On a river, that twists and turns back on itself, one guy in a boat blind can tie up miles of river. Don't for one minute think there are not GW's that would nail you on a technicality, even if you had no way of knowing the other hunter even was there.

However, it would take a real jerk to set up on you hunting puddle ducks in open marsh, 200 yards away can ruin your hunt. I can't tell you the number of times I have gotten there early, only to have some nitwit cruise in right before first light and set up in the mouth of the creek I was hunting and short-stop every duck that came in. Could have gone past me to hunt, knew he was short-stopping me when he did it. Shooting at everything that flew through, even low-probability, long range shots. We need to reintroduce civility to duck hunting. Educating younger hunters how to behave.

At some point we have to police ourselves. A good starting point would be a regulation that says 200 yards.

Gus

Four Pointer
Gus, I understand what you are saying. 500 yards would however, be problematic. It is almost a 1/2 mile. A half mile in some places is not a problem, but it is in others.

On the sound, where you might set up in the back of a bay, someone might come and set up in the back of the next bay over. This is not a problem of proximity with the two hunters as far as hunting goes, but as the bird flies they are within 500 yards of each other. With divers, flying low on the water, one bay over might as well be over the horizon. But set up in the next bay would be a violation. On a river, that twists and turns back on itself, one guy in a boat blind can tie up miles of river. Don't for one minute think there are not GW's that would nail you on a technicality, even if you had no way of knowing the other hunter even was there.

However, it would take a real jerk to set up on you hunting puddle ducks in open marsh, 200 yards away can ruin your hunt. I can't tell you the number of times I have gotten there early, only to have some nitwit cruise in right before first light and set up in the mouth of the creek I was hunting and short-stop every duck that came in. Could have gone past me to hunt, knew he was short-stopping me when he did it. Shooting at everything that flew through, even low-probability, long range shots. We need to reintroduce civility to duck hunting. Educating younger hunters how to behave.

At some point we have to police ourselves. A good starting point would be a regulation that says 200 yards.
500 yds is not "almost half a mile". 500 yds ain't even a third of a mile. But I never said anything about 500 yds. Personally, I'm gonna give another party at least that and probably a lot more, but I don't need the safety and companionship of a crowd.
I'd prefer no law and everybody police themselves but I don't have much faith in the newer crowd policing themselves.
Yeah there's situations where 200 works but not many. Make the distance enough that in most cases folks have a chance at a quality hunt.

kahunter

Six Pointer
500 yards is not even 1/3 of a mile. 200 yards is way to close to someone else for both parties to have a good hunt. If someone gets up 200 yards from me I feel like they are on top of me. 500 yards between hunting parties should be a minimum. If you can't find a spot near where I am which is where you wanted to go get up earlier and get it first.

Reactions: Gus

Steelshot Scott

Button Buck
All right 850 is almost a half mile. 500 yards is almost 1/3 of a mile. I don't know why I I was thinking in my mind a mile was 1100 yards. I don't know why I have 1100 yards stuck in my mind.

There is a reason I say 200, it has to be universal and hunting a wooded river is different from hunting a open marsh. The state statute for a safety zone is 200(i.e. you cant hunt within 200 yards of a occupied structure, etc). Yes I agree that 200 is too close to hunt to someone's house and I hope no one here would do it. I also agree that 200 is too close in open marsh. But if you set it at 500, you run into the prohibitive situation you have with the SHL. Think about it, how many hunters could fit into PP with a 500 yard rule in place?

I agree that in a lot of situations, 200 is too close. You have to take into consideration swamp and river hunting as well. It was not that long ago that people went to great lengths to avoid impacting someone else's hunting.

I blame Duck Dynasty.

Last edited:
I'll be the first to ask what the rest are wondering just cause I've drunk enough and wouldn't give a monkey's ass anyways, who are you and what exactly do you have to gain by this 200 yard rule that you seem to be so set on?

And if you have the weight that you seem too, why not use that to get to the bottom of what's killing all the SAV'S and fix that instead of pushing more laws?

How far is this 2 hundred yard law gonna go? Dove hunting? Deer hunting? Right on down the sheet? Next thing you know, we wont even be able to get it from the back. And what about opening up closed waters? I haven't heard anything about that lately?

Steelshot Scott

Button Buck
Gangrig, we have laws in Pamlico and Cateret counties that state "No one may hunt within 500 yards of a permanently established hunting location". Landowners then put up fake blinds ever 450 yards and effectively post the water for almost(and I stand corrected on this)1/3 mile out from shore. Hyde County is now considering just such a law. They say it is tabled, but it is not dead and my fear is that they appoint a Wildlife Commission (like they have in Dare) and then put the law through the Wildlife Commission.

My proposal is that we do away with all so called Safe Hunter Laws and go to a statewide 200 yard safety zone for waterfowl hunting. No one has proposed that we expand it to deer or dove hunting. By doing away with local SHL's, we will remove a system that is widely abused and replace it with a system that is actually more fair and equal. By setting a 200 yard universal safety zone state wide, we would effectively abolish the much reviled SHL in Pamlico and Carteret, and open vast tracts of waterfowl hunting up to the masses that are now being forced onto the northern shore of the Pamlico Sound. The reason there is so much pressure in Hyde and Beaufort is that the entire western shore is tied up from the Pamlico River to the Nuese River, including the entire Bay River. All this habitat is tied up primarily by one man and a exclusive hunting club. We heard from a former member of the Jones Island Hunt Club at the meeting in Hyde Co and he stated that the law was written to force people off the public water so the club could have it for it's exclusive use. This is not me saying that, it is a former abuser of the Safe Hunter Law.

You ask who I am. My name is Scott Tolar. I live in Kinston. I have nothing to gain personally other than to be allowed to hunt the public trust waters that are our right in North Carolina. I would prefer the gov't take a hands off approach and leave everyone alone to enjoy the public waters that belong to us. I want our corrupt legislators to quit awarding our public trust water to a few rich landowners for their exclusive use. I don't want to go on their land. I want to go on my water.

Gangrig, we have laws in Pamlico and Cateret counties that state "No one may hunt within 500 yards of a permanently established hunting location". Landowners then put up fake blinds ever 450 yards and effectively post the water for almost(and I stand corrected on this)1/3 mile out from shore. Hyde County is now considering just such a law. They say it is tabled, but it is not dead and my fear is that they appoint a Wildlife Commission (like they have in Dare) and then put the law through the Wildlife Commission.

My proposal is that we do away with all so called Safe Hunter Laws and go to a statewide 200 yard safety zone for waterfowl hunting. No one has proposed that we expand it to deer or dove hunting. By doing away with local SHL's, we will remove a system that is widely abused and replace it with a system that is actually more fair and equal. By setting a 200 yard universal safety zone state wide, we would effectively abolish the much reviled SHL in Pamlico and Carteret, and open vast tracts of waterfowl hunting up to the masses that are now being forced onto the northern shore of the Pamlico Sound. The reason there is so much pressure in Hyde and Beaufort is that the entire western shore is tied up from the Pamlico River to the Nuese River, including the entire Bay River. All this habitat is tied up primarily by one man and a exclusive hunting club. We heard from a former member of the Jones Island Hunt Club at the meeting in Hyde Co and he stated that the law was written to force people off the public water so the club could have it for it's exclusive use. This is not me saying that, it is a former abuser of the Safe Hunter Law.

You ask who I am. My name is Scott Tolar. I live in Kinston. I have nothing to gain personally other than to be allowed to hunt the public trust waters that are our right in North Carolina. I would prefer the gov't take a hands off approach and leave everyone alone to enjoy the public waters that belong to us. I want our corrupt legislators to quit awarding our public trust water to a few rich landowners for their exclusive use. I don't want to go on their land. I want to go on my water.
Sorry bout busting your chops, was three sheets and bored...definitely out of place

Steelshot Scott

Button Buck
gangrig, there was no insult taken. You have every right to question someone's motives when you are unsure of what is going on.

It is hard to pick a side until you know what the facts are.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Land owner rights end at the property line. In Theory it is much like living next to a public road. The land owner adjacent to the property boundary does not have the right to determine who gets to drive on the road that goes by their property. they also do not get to determine who gets to park there. Usually if there is a no parking sign it does not exempt the landowner.

I respectfully ask that you read the Public Trust Doctrine - seems self explainatory to me.

Steelshot Scott

Button Buck
Land owner rights end at the property line. In Theory it is much like living next to a public road. The land owner adjacent to the property boundary does not have the right to determine who gets to drive on the road that goes by their property. they also do not get to determine who gets to park there. Usually if there is a no parking sign it does not exempt the landowner.

I respectfully ask that you read the Public Trust Doctrine - seems self explainatory to me.
Right on!

Some years back we were hunting one morning, setup round 400 yards off shore. There were several houses in the area, an elderly lady came out beating pots and pans. I contacted a local official just to be sure we were in the right. He told me to tie up to her pier and hunt if we want, we were hunting there before she moved in and fair is fair....of course I wouldn't do that but that's what I was told. Man said, if they don't like it, they shouldn't have moved on the water.

Roanoke

Button Buck
The reason why we are loosing hunters in this country is because people do not have access to good hunting land.

Most of the youth in North Carolina are two generations removed from the farm and they are limited on where they can hunt. As the population continues to grow this issue will increase.

In the last election we voted for all of North Carolina residents to have the right to hunt. I do not think any new law restricting public hunting access will pass in the General Assembly.

If hunters would remember that Duck Huting is a Gentleman’s Sport and conduct themselves likewise there would be less of these kinds of issues. I use to love shooting red heads. I have had a curtain box off of Hatteras since the early 90’s as well as open water blinds in Currituck, Hyde and Carteret counties. There is no sense in people getting fighting mad about a duck. Up until this year I traveled to Mexico and could shoot all the red heads I wanted. Now that is too dangerous.

We need to use all of our time and resources fighting the anti hunting and gun organizations not each other. We need more young hunters. I do not get east of 95 much but I went to Charlotte this weekend. Sickening the amount of snow flake men I saw in that city. We need to do everything possible to promote access to good hunting in North Carolina.

Last edited:

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
The reason why we are loosing hunters in this country is because people do not have access to good hunting land.

Most of the youth in North Carolina are two generations removed from the farm and they are limited on where they can hunt. As the population continues to grow this issue will increase.

In the last election we voted for all of North Carolina residents to have the right to hunt. I do not think any new law restricting public hunting access will pass in the General Assembly.

If hunters would remember that Duck Huting is a Gentleman’s Sport and conduct themselves likewise there would be less of these kinds of issues. I use to love shooting red heads. I have had a curtain box off of Hatteras since the early 90’s as well as open water blinds in Currituck, Hyde and Carteret counties. There is no sense in people getting fighting mad about a duck. Up until this year I traveled to Mexico and could shoot all the red heads I wanted. Now that is too dangerous.

We need to use all of our time and resources fighting the anti hunting and gun organizations not each other. We need more young hunters. I do not get east of 95 much but I went to Charlotte this weekend. Sickening the amount of snow flake men I saw in that city. We need to do everything possible to promote access to good hunting in North Carolina.
Roanoke, the red heads are still there and I found it very safe. We should go sometime.26274

You wouldn't by chance be the same dude who got his butt whooped and motor throw in the drink for hunting another man's blind would ya?

Steelshot Scott

Button Buck
Gangrig, the guy that got attacked was not hunting in another man's blind, he was scouting public water that the lunatic that attacked him viewed as "his hunting area". Was not the first guy that he attacked, it was just he most severe attack.

I would not say that guy got his butt whipped, he was Sunday-punched by a coward. The hunters stopped to find out what the guy was upset about and he jumped in the boat and punched the guy who was not expecting it. In another attack, a man and his teenage son were harassed by this lunatic on the water and he rammed their boat several times, but they didn't stop.

It is this sense of ownership of public water that we are fighting.

Steelshot Scott

Button Buck
I read about it in the paper. The guy he punched was the governor's cousin and the other guy in the boat was a member of The Wildlife Resources Commission.

The attacker's name is Umphlett(I think that is how it is spelled). It is easy to find.

I haven't really followed the story closely, but I think he lost his hunting privileges over this.