Hyde County Blind Laws?

Inshore duck

Six Pointer
It was only a matter of time. Remember we are giving up our freedom to use public water in exchange for our own safety or so they say. Thankful they have already saved thousands of hunters in Pamlico and Dare counties with their legislation. Why does it not apply to Ocracoke? It’s in Hyde county, if the axe falls no head should be spared.

Southern

Eight Pointer
It has been brought up years ago and did not pass but who knows this time. The world is a crazy place now.

wanchese

Ten Pointer
I never thought the commissioners of Hyde county would go as low as Dare county.
About 7 or 8 years ago they(Hyde County) had it on the county commissioner agenda and discussed it at one of the meetings.

Another thing, Dare Counties laws do not give a land owner any kind of advantage over anyone. There's a ton of blinds here built a couple feet off of private property that don't belong to the land owner and there's nothing they can do about it. They can hunt on their land but can't register a blind within 500 yards of an existing blind and can't run off the person the blind is registered to.

Last edited:

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I asked this in another thread (which we should probably combine), but I'll ask here for now. Is it the 500yd separation or the riparian waters that is the problem?

intoTHEwoods

Button Buck
Dare to Hyde announced within the past few weeks they will offer sound hunts next season. Awfully suspect timing there. Maybe I’m wrong to think of it in those terms. I’ve been wrong before and will be wrong again, but the timing got my attention to say the least. For all I know it could hurt them too, but it made me think a little.

kahunter

Six Pointer
I will take my post down.
Am i reading this right that this is 500 yards from privately owner property or riparian property? I see it says

blind, float, raft, mat or other buoyant craft or any other location, position, or device that is permanently established for hunting migratory wild waterfowl at a specific site by:

1. The landholder of the property; or
  2. The riparian landholder, if the site is on or in water and hunting rights in that water are not controlled by someone other than the riparian landholder; or
  3. A person who has written permission to establish the permanent site from a landholder who would qualify under subdivisions (1) or (2).

Does this mean that buffers blinds or float hunting on private or riparian land only??

JONOV

Ten Pointer
I asked this in another thread (which we should probably combine), but I'll ask here for now. Is it the 500yd separation or the riparian waters that is the problem?
I'd say its the 500 yard separation. That means I can setup a blind anywhere on public water and dibs a 500 yard radius around it (except for a landowner.) You don't even have to be hunting it as I read from the link.

As I read it, its a land grab for the landowners to grab another 500 yards from their shoreline/riparian land, all the have to do is throw up a blind.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I think JoNov is right. It is a land grab just like it is in Pamlico and Carteret. Sad, hope it does not pass. Wanchese is right, Dare's laws are different, but they do keep ND duck hunters off public water.

It benefits two of the commissioners or their families. Hope they will recuse themselves.

I plan to hunt where I hunt, I guess they will have to come get me.

Privateer69

Button Buck
I spend the majority of my time in Hyde County year round. I created an account because the truth needs to get out. There are two county commissioners behind this, Earl Pugh and Ben Simmons. Earl Pugh is a big time farmer who just happens to own a good bit of marsh. Ben Simmons is the son of Jamen Simmons who runs Dare to Hyde and also owns a ton of land. Dare to Hyde announced last week they will be offering open water hunts next year.... coincidence.... Earl Pugh and Ben Simmons want to keep you out of Hyde for their own monetary gain. They could care less about the people in Hyde County or the Hyde County Economy. The only reason they are pushing this is for their own selfish gain. It really is sad. On the bright side I know another one of the commissioners very well and they are very against this, however Earl Pugh and Ben Simmons are some of the wealthiest and most influential people in the county so it is not looking good. Their address and phone numbers are listed on the Hyde County website if anyone would like to give them a piece of their mind.

Last edited:

Inshore duck

Six Pointer
Is calling the commissioners in Hyde or doing an online petition going to do any good as most of us do not live in Hyde and therefore don’t vote in their elections.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I think ethics obligations would require Earl and Ben to recuse themselves from voting.

Is Ben III Jamin's father or son.

Privateer69

Button Buck
Hydemarsh,

You are correct, I typed that in wrong. Ben Simmons Jr. is Jamin who runs Dare to Hyde and his son is Ben Simmons III, the Fairfield Township Hyde County commissioner.

I am also right there with you along the lines of hunting where I always hunt. The sound is for everyone I don’t care what corrupt county laws have to say about it. Robert Wayne can come find me and I’ll gladly accept his pink slip and throw it right in the drink and do it again the next day (Won’t be the first time). Definitely will be strictly enforced if it passes, but if you work for yourself what’s a few misdemeanors.

bigdrumnc

Spike
Correct me if I am wrong.....the way this reads u just can’t hunt 500 yards from a blind or private land. Does this ban all float blind hunting in Hyde co? Will there be a float blind permit? I dont hunt in Hyde co. Except for the occasional impoundment invite. It seems to me it would only affect areas around private lands. Is not half of Hyde’s marsh areas public any way? With out a float blind lisc. Or out right ban on float blinds I don’t think this will accomplish a whole lot. The currituck guys and some dare county guides have seemed to find ways around the 500 yard regulation. FYI I was in Ocracoke today and talked to a few guys they haven’t heard about it but said it was hog wash and didn’t give a crap what went on at the mainland. Said they would manage there spots they way they always have!!!!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Maybe I am paranoid, but this is what I see coming - this isn't just about 500 yds from private land on shore

it states:

A “permanently established hunting location” is a blind, float, raft, mat or other buoyant craft or any other location, position, or device that is permanently established for hunting migratory wild waterfowl at a specific site by:

1. The landholder of the property; or
  2. The riparian landholder, if the site is on or in water and hunting rights in that water are not controlled by someone other than the riparian landholder; or
  3. A person who has written permission to establish the permanent site from a landholder who would qualify under subdivisions (1) or (2).

Three items to keep in mind when/if this passes:
  • the county "owns" the water of the pamlico sound
  • as the landholder, they can give written permission for permanent blinds
  • which then establishes "permitted blind locations"
that is what I see coming from this law,,,maybe not and that would be nice,,,but mark the words

bigdrumnc

Spike
You bet It will to all three......
But only on privately owned lands, not game lands, NWR’s and off 500 yards where most float blinds tie out. I think this is just securing private blind sites on private lands. You can’t just roll up and hunt private land to begin with.
I really don’t think geographically speaking The pamlico sound waters of Hyde county mainland can have open water blinds like dare/currituck/ Carteret counties. The water is just too deep and rough most of the year. It would cost a fortune to maintain open water blinds in those waters. There are some shallow grassy creeks in Hyde but most are very close to private land already hunted by paying leases (from what I hear).