Hyde County Blind Law Is Grinding Forward

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
The Committee met Wednesday night, June 12th. I attended,

There is certainly not consensus on what to recommend to the County Commissioners.

The committee seems in agreement that there should be a county wide distance separation of 300 yards. I think that is acceptable to most of us.

The committee seems evenly split on the subject of an occupied versus an unoccupied blind.

Some seem to get the concept of public water owned by all citizens and some believed that marsh owners have some special right to public land they do not own.

Some seem to believe the sound is a state resource and others seem to believe it is a county resource.

Some want to implement a system where a landowner can pay a fee to the county and get exclusive rights to public water. The example of oyster bed leases were cited.

There is a proposal to severely restrict the number of Non Hyde County resident Float blinds. The proposal is to implement float blind permits that are non transferable. The current thinking seems to be there will be no limit on Hyde county resident float blind permits but there will be a limit of 125 non county resident float blind permits.

Some on the committee seem to want a Dare type game commission to continue to regulate waterfowl hunting.. I see this as a very bad thing.

The new chairman was in attendance and has to come up to speed. He is not a hunter, not a North Carolina native.

my personal opinion at this point is that if you want to hunt public water in Hyde County then you better be prepared for a fight. We must start organizing now. I do not think we will have much affect on the committee and commission. Our approach will need to be an organized approach at he legislature to get any bill that restricts our rights killed. I do think we should support the 300 yards separation.

I will start drafting and posting letters that can be sent to your legislator.

I was surprised at the committee member that turned out to be a real enemy of public water hunters.
One member continues to stand strong as a principled defender of the rights we were all given.

Being a NC duck hunter gets tougher every day.

Decoymaker

Button Buck
Are their positions as you called earlier? Is there a way we can contact them directly? Did they recognize your attendance!?

I was unable to attend this meeting due to a family issue. Thank you for bringing us up to speed. We need to find out what time the next meeting is and everyone here needs to attend it.

What everyone needs to do now is to contact their local legislator and voice their opposition to this. It is apparent that the Hyde County Commissioners are going to push this matter forward, irregardless of public opinion. This is evidence of the two County Commissioners placing their own agenda over that of their constituents.

Point out to your legislator a few key issues.

One, everyone supports a hunter separation of 300 yards.

The people that oppose the wording to include "occupied" for the separation just point out the laws true intention. To deny taxpayers access to public water. There is no safety benefit to staying 300 yards from empty blind.

Point out that any attempt to let landowners buy exclusive use of the public water with a special permit is offensive.

You need to point out to your legislator that the sound belongs to the people of the state, not the people of Hyde Co.

Make our response quick and overwhelming.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Does anyone know the position of the NCWRC? If enacted, any laws would have to be enforced by their LEOs. Brian White of Manteo is the District 1 commissioner.

In addition to your state rep and senator, you need to contact Rep. John Bell. He is the chair of wildlife issues on the Agricultural Committee. He will be instrumental in opposing this law.
His address is:
Rep John Bell
300 N Salisbury St
Room 301 F
Raleigh, NC 27603

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Are their positions as you called earlier? Is there a way we can contact them directly? Did they recognize your attendance!?
I must say that the people on the committee are really good people. They did recognize my attendance and they let me express my opinion on issues. I was treated with respect and hopefully I did the same. People are people, most are duck hunters. if you put 10 duck hunters in a room how many would agree on everything. The only things I have seen duck hunters agree on is that it is usually best to hunt with the wind at your back and that unless it is snowing, Hyde impoundment hunting sucks.

I think what I heard last night is consistent with what I have said in the past. Not all committee members agree with the proposals and I do not think they have voted on an official recommendation so every thing now is a proposal to be discussed.
I do not have their contact info but it should be a Google search. I heard last night that someone had posted their numbers on line.

I would have absolutely no issues with a 300 yard rule from a blind occupied one hour prior to LST, defined as a brushed/camo’d blind with someone actually engaged in a hunt. Float blind permits would be a no bueno.

shurshot

Six Pointer
I would have absolutely no issues with a 300 yard rule from a blind occupied one hour prior to LST, defined as a brushed/camo’d blind with someone actually engaged in a hunt. Float blind permits would be a no bueno.
I’m with you on that Mike. The only thing I dont like with a 300 yard rule is it would probably be a straight line distance from one blind to another. So what if two groups are hunting, one in the back of a cove and the other at the mouth of that same, very winding creek. They are 250 yards straight line from each other but are no way interfering with each other or even shooting in either’s direction. As a matter of fact, when the two groups set up neither knew the other was there until shots were fired...

So, who was “there” first? Is it really even an issue? No one is really bothering anyone but let’s say one group gets mad because the other blind is getting more shooting. Johnny law comes by and they tell him they were there first and he needs to gps them cause they’re now too close. Could really open up a can of worms in this senecio. I dont mind 300 yds. across open water or even down a relatively straight shore line (you can see each other), but I hate to see laws made that are black and white when so many different hunting scenarios could occur that pose no problems for groups hunting in close proximity. I know, you’ll always have that slob group that’s going to set up real close but I’ve never minded going over and trying to resolve the situation. And most of the time it works out.

Dang. I’ve seen as many as 6 groups in a creek and everyone was happy and all were less than 300 yards straight line away from each blind.

The 300 yard rule would have to be written to be shoreline. As far as to "who got there first", in this age of cell phones with video cameras,that would be easy to document.

But let us not get bogged down in hypotheticals right now. We are fighting a law that threatens all the open water in NC. If Hyde County falls to the cancer that is the SHL, then there will be no public hunting left on the eastern part of our state. Between the restrictive laws in Currituck and Dare, the SHL in Pamlico and Carteret, there will be no public hunting left except on game lands.

When I first started fighting the SHL, I had people tell me "there are plenty of places to hunt" other than where these laws are. I should just hunt somewhere else. I tried to explain to them that it was on principle and if the SHL was allowed to stand, it would spread. We see that happening now.

Think about it. If Beaufort and Craven had fallen to this law, if we had not blocked it by opposing it and Hyde County fell now, there would be no hunting at all in the public water east of Washington and New Bern, NC.

Let us not get concerned with minor details at this point. We can address those after we defeat the main problem.

kahunter

Six Pointer
I realized last night tyrrel county will be one of the last hold outs in the east. That place would become a zoo

shurshot

Six Pointer
Scott, you’re right, this needs to be addressed from a preventative standpoint. But to do so effectively, we better have an alternative plan with specifics to what’s being proposed, otherwise we look like a bunch of democratic presidential candidates that have no plan of their own other than to say Trump’s policies are wrong. That’s a sure fire recipe for defeat.

You can’t put the cart before the horse, these things need to be discussed up front. We can say their proposal is not fair all we want but I’m telling ya we must have a proposal of our own if it’s needed or not.

There is a simple solution that solves every problem, requires no convoluted legal wording.

All laws concerning blind licensing and float blinds are replaced with a simple safety buffer distance between all hunters on a first come, first served basis.

All hunters must maintain a 300 yard distance to any other hunter. On land or in a float blind, it is on a first come, first served basis. Landowners have first call, as long as they are in their blind by 1 hour before legal time. After that first hunter there gets to hunt. All decoys must be picked up by 1 hour after sunset. No decoys may be put out before 4 am.

No confusion, no purposefully vague wording, no potential for misuse.