Hurricanes

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Tampa pretty much scores at will on their power play. Hurricanes look like they're wearing Tampa sweater as tight as the Lightning are covering them. Just like that, it's 2-0 Tampa. The fat lady is humming.

Jim

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Absolutely..... I was at game 6 the last time they won the cup. They won game 6 to force a game 7 in Vancouver. I thought the Boston Garden was crazy but nothing to the sports bar I tried to get into in Copley Sq ( years later became famous as the location of the Boston Marathon bombing) I showed up two hours before puck drop and the fire Marshall had already shut down letting anyone else in. I went back to my hotel room and watched the game there. With 10 minutes left I went and joined the crowd standing outside the bar. When the game finished we spilled out into the streets and the partying began. What a night. It was a great few days....

The Canes have an equal enthusiastic fan base and it's a totally different but as fun. I was in the PNC arena for Game 7 when the Canes won the cup. That night we started a new NHL tradition that is for the fans to stand for the entire game..... we never sat down that game .....puck was in play we were up screaming. That had never been done before and since then it is what has become expected of fan basis during a game 7.
it was one of my father's and mines great adventures. We knew jack about hockey but had a fine time during that SC run.
PNC was so much fun before and during the game.
But that Garden crowd seems a little more "intense." :)

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
well it was fun while it lasted.. and being in the building last night was encouraging.. it was loud there were a few mask but a very few.. people are getting back to normal.

Tampa was just better.. We missed way to many passes out in front or behind folks and their goaltender is the best there is at the moment.. the short handed chance he saved in the first was pure larceny. Not to mention, I don't think I have ever seen so many wiffed on pucks.. it was like our guys were trying to play to fast to keep up.. losing that two goal lead so fast in Game 4 seemed to break them a bit.. at the end of the day 0 will never win any game..

The good news is that I think they found a true #1 goal tender.. first one since Cam starting sliding.. the deadline acquisitions did not seem to provide much sometimes you win in those deals, sometimes you lose... these seemed to be in the middle. Curious to see what happens in the off season.. lots of deals need to get done and there are holes the GM has to fix. Get the coach signed and paid first, get Ned under contract second and then figure out what you are going to do with your free agents and draft..

All in all the turn around over the last 3 seasons has been fun to watch, next steps are important. You are getting better or you're getting worse, no such thing as staying the same. Team is still pretty young.. this is a learning experience.. October will be here before we know it.. and there is a lot of hockey yet to watch.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fix Hamilton's can't keep the puck in problem or trade him. He's just plain lazy, no jump even trying to keep it in. He's not the same player he was before his injury....

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fix Hamilton's can't keep the puck in problem or trade him. He's just plain lazy, no jump even trying to keep it in. He's not the same player he was before his injury....
If I am not mistaken he is a FA so they will be looking at all aspects and he will be looking at the market.. not the time for him to have had a down year. He is an offensive defenseman and was really hurt by not having Slavin.. that pair complements each other well most of the time.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Hamilton definitely hurt himself in the free agent market with weak and indecisive play in the post-season. Agreed that he has not been the same since his injury. Slavin and Pesce are top notch defenders and are hard to top. Glad they're signed for a while still. Too bad we don't have more of their type. Jake Bean can move the puck, but his lack of grit was exposed. He's a young guy and should develop nicely playing and working out around seasoned pros. Hakanpaa struggled at times, but I like his size and determination & could see him being offered a new deal.

Martinook and McGinn are free agents as well. Martinook lacks finishing skills, but he's a character guy to the core. As hard as McGinn works, he's not a big points producing player either. He doesn't take shifts off though and there aren't enough of that type player in the League. I'm pretty sure McGinn was one of Ron Francis' draft picks and it wouldn't surprise me to see him wind up in Seattle in the supplemental draft. Don't know how badly Warren Foegele was dinged up, but I bet there's surgery in his immediate future. I believe Nino Nieterreiter may also be a free agent too. He was very productive and competitive this year and should be resigned.

It was a fun run this season. The Hurricanes have some tweaking to do. Maybe they can come up with a way to cheat the salary cap and rest their ringers like Tampa did? Why even have rules if you don't respect them? They're in a good place and should keep improving with time, picks, and trades.

Jim

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Hurricanes re-signed coach Rod BrindAmour to a new 3 year contract today. I heard the terms, but can't remember and I'm too beat from work and personal sloth to look it up at the moment. Good for Rod, Great for the team. I'm looking forward to what he can build on top of what he's already accomplished with this franchise.

Jim

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
Slavin is also a strong devout Christian. This speaks to his character. Not many of those in the NHL being so many come from Europe now where religion in not very important to the masses. Stu Grimson (The Grim Reaper) who was with the Canes when they came to NC also has a great Christian testimony to share.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Slavin is also a strong devout Christian. This speaks to his character. Not many of those in the NHL being so many come from Europe now where religion in not very important to the masses. Stu Grimson (The Grim Reaper) who was with the Canes when they came to NC also has a great Christian testimony to share.
Yes, that was evident in his remarks after the award was announced. Good testimony!

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
We'll see how well Ned plays in Detroit first. If he plays consistently good games for a larger part of the season than he had here, I'll call it a screw up. I bet Ned & his agent got to aggressive with their demands to the guy who signs the checks. Tom Dundon likely sent him to Detroit out of meanness too. I went to Detroit one time for work in the 80s and all I can say is; there has to be some correlation between the number of rocks and the number of broken windows there, because there was no shortage of either one. It was hard not to be depressed in that place...especially in Winter. The HIGH temperature for the week I was there was 8 degrees...as in 24 degrees below freezing. Nope, not for me.

Carolina drafted Ned and put a lot of time and energy grooming him to make the jump to the NHL. He played very well here & in Charlotte, but I suspect there is something else we don't know about the whole story. There has to be, the Hurricanes put Ned on waivers early last season. He only got called up because of injuries to Mrazek. There's definitely got to be more to it than what appears on the surface.

Jim