Hunting shows.

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
So yesterday at my parents for Christmas they turned on the outdoor channel. So I don’t watch mainstream hunting shows anymore. It was the bone collector show. Which they seem cool and all. I have no clue how they or others are considered industry professionals when they have corn spraying machines. This is a touch of a rant but it just didn’t seem like hunting to me. It looked like more killing than hunting. Nothing about patterns or trails or any of the above. It was a camera and a heated blind on a corn pile with a ton of subliminal marketing. I quit watching half way through it. I’m not really sure they could find a deer outside of there property without corn or a guide. I don’t even really know why I’m posting this. Just disgusted with the whole thing. I wonder if that is how outsiders look at us. If so I don’t like the persona.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I run into the same thing here with these Fly fishing elitists that look like they just stepped out of an Orvis catalog. They look down their noses at us wet wading, knuckle dragging, spin reeling, treble hooking, bait drifting heretics. Nothing tickles me more than gut hooking a big trout on a worm, then floating the innards down by them, with the swim bladder. If they had their way, all waters would be C&R, fly fish only. To each his own.

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
How about we just let people hunt how they want? Just because you may not like it doesn't mean its not valid, legal and hunting. Being an elitist who decides what everyone else should do is a large part of why the sport is dying.

If its legal, leave it alone.
I’m not saying not to and if it’s legal go for it but if the anti’s see this as shooting fish in a barrel couldn’t it turn out bad in our favor.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
So yesterday at my parents for Christmas they turned on the outdoor channel. So I don’t watch mainstream hunting shows anymore. It was the bone collector show. Which they seem cool and all. I have no clue how they or others are considered industry professionals when they have corn spraying machines. This is a touch of a rant but it just didn’t seem like hunting to me. It looked like more killing than hunting. Nothing about patterns or trails or any of the above. It was a camera and a heated blind on a corn pile with a ton of subliminal marketing. I quit watching half way through it. I’m not really sure they could find a deer outside of there property without corn or a guide. I don’t even really know why I’m posting this. Just disgusted with the whole thing. I wonder if that is how outsiders look at us. If so I don’t like the persona.
Yep. I have no problem with every person hunting how they see fit. But I really fell sorry for people who spend their entire hunting time looking at a corn pile .

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
Yep. I have no problem with every person hunting how they see fit. But I really fell sorry for people who spend their entire hunting time looking at a corn pile .
I have family members who do the same thing. I really don’t care what they do but the perception and influence on younger generations is more negative. My nephew didn’t shoot a deer this year even though he had a chance at deer that we’re already bigger than his previous deer. He didn’t shoot then due to they were not big like Ohio or Kentucky deer that such and such killed. That is way too much influence from a far from realistic playing field

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

just a tv show,,, most are stupid, to include hunting ones,,,
but heck, sounds like most NC and SC hunters I know that don't have dogs,,,, (key on "I know"),,,
heck, plenty of talk on here about blinds,,, and heaters,,, nothing wrong with that,,,
corn pile not much different than a planted food plot,,, or is it "kill plot",,,,
and for outsiders,,, they don't care on the how of the hunt (for the most part),,, they just don't like folks hunting

so worry less,,,and go hunt,, how ya want

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have family members who do the same thing. I really don’t care what they do but the perception and influence on younger generations is more negative. My nephew didn’t shoot a deer this year even though he had a chance at deer that we’re already bigger than his previous deer. He didn’t shoot then due to they were not big like Ohio or Kentucky deer that such and such killed. That is way too much influence from a far from realistic playing field

that youngin's mentors failed him if he's comparing what he sees in NC with what folks see on TV shows,,,
but ain't nothing wrong with passing up deer if they don't suit ya,,,,I'm proud of your nephew and don't even know him,, no need (unless you're REALLY hungry) for anyone to HAVE TO shoot a deer each year,,, except ego

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
just a tv show,,, most are stupid, to include hunting ones,,,
but heck, sounds like most NC and SC hunters I know that don't have dogs,,,, (key on "I know"),,,
heck, plenty of talk on here about blinds,,, and heaters,,, nothing wrong with that,,,
corn pile not much different than a planted food plot,,, or is it "kill plot",,,,
and for outsiders,,, they don't care on the how of the hunt (for the most part),,, they just don't like folks hunting

so worry less,,,and go hunt,, how ya want
I guess it’s not the method or all of the frills. Leases with hunting box stands and all are really good and can get individual into hunting. I believe I know now what bothered me. It’s the influence on a younger generation that see that as the benchmark rather than entertainment.

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
that youngin's mentors failed him if he's comparing what he sees in NC with what folks see on TV shows,,,
but ain't nothing wrong with passing up deer if they don't suit ya,,,,I'm proud of your nephew and don't even know him,, no need (unless you're REALLY hungry) for anyone to HAVE TO shoot a deer each year,,, except ego
Oh he is definitely disciplined at chosing deer. Sadly my sister and his dad keep telling him if he likes it to shoot it but he is stuck on TV caliber deer which is not realistic even on a lease they have managed for 35 years. 15 is too young to become a deer watcher.

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
Not wanting to start a fuss just dissatisfied with the amount of influence they have on our younger generation with unrealistic idea for them. Not that it can’t be a goal but excepting your situation and realizing reality. Or I’m crazy. One of the two

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
Well that’s all aspects of life, not just hunting- folks need to learn that what’s on yhe boob-tube isn’t always how life goes
Yea it’s the absolute truth. It’s the first time I’ve watched a mainstream show in I know a couple years. It’s right in line with fishing shows. I used to fish BFL and fished with several industry pros. I was saddened when I found out they would catch fish on what works and then swap to what they want you to buy and then reel the fish back in.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've had most of those same thoughts and quit watching such shows for the identical reasons. Everyone can hunt how they want, but that is a different subject unrelated to this one, which is about self perceived 'hunting super stars' trying to impress us.

DeerManager

Eight Pointer
I have no proof but I believe most( if not all) outdoor personalities have used corn to attract deer to certain areas for several decades now. I believe baiting has became more acceptable( not sure why it is frowned upon where its legal) these days. Also, I respect a man being honest and forth coming even if his belief will disliked. I agree with Tipmoose, if it is legal go for it or don't . Hunt like you want within the limits of the law. Happy hunting.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve read all the above replies and can understand each point including the OP.

I grew up hunting in NC and still corn deer where legal to this day BUT I also hunt VA where baiting is illegal and do just fine. I also worry about the “new generation of hunters” but it’s better that they hunt their way than not hunt at all.

ps Corn hunters get a bad rap and those who have never took time to understand their prey and how to pattern them may deserve it BUT then again… it their hunt so they can do it however they want.

I am sure this will open the can of worms further...

I grew up hunting in WV where baiting and dog hunting were both illegal. It was steep and physically difficult terrain where we were also not allowed to use ATV's to access property or retrieve deer. To me, figuring out natural patterns to find deer and having a difficult physical hunt are the way hunting is "supposed" to be. As far as my family was concerned, box blinds were ok for the old or crippled, but not for anyone physically able to walk. People who began hunting with different traditions view all of those things differently. I've since lived in several southern states where baiting was legal, and the norm for that matter. I've killed a few deer from box blinds over a corn feeder. I just don't enjoy it, and did not gain any sense of accomplishment from it. We all develop our own brand of ethics. I now hunt 90% on public land where baiting is not allowed. I kill deer, though I have to work harder, and it is nearly impossible to find deer whose feeding patterns are not influenced by a corn feeder. I killed a buck this year on public land nearly a mile from the nearest private land or road. When I checked his stomach contents, it was full of corn. That makes it a bit harder to be snooty about the purity of my hunt. I don't fault others for taking advantage of baiting since it is legal, though if I had my druthers it wouldn't be. I get the concept that the bait station feeds a lot more wildlife than just the ones taken by hunters.

I do think that baiting looks very bad to non-hunters who often view this practice as a fish-in-a-barrel proposition.

I must also admit that I get very envious every year when my friends who have feeders start showing me all the trail cam photos of the big bucks at their feeder at 2:00 AM!

I was at a sporting goods store early this fall, and listened to two guys in their 20's talking about the upcoming season. One of them was bragging that he was trying a "new" style of hunting. He wasn't putting out ANY corn this year, and was going to just look for deer sign and trails! Maybe a few of the upcoming generations will try to popularize this "new" style of hunting!!

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
No fan boy but I know enough about the bone collector guys to know all 3 reached the pinnacle in their “hobbies”, and were rewarded with making a life and living out of it. And I’d bet damn good money that those three are as good, if not better, than most hunters at reading sign and killing critters. Now there’s some personalities that I’m sure you’re correct on, but as far as that bunch, 1 guided for 7J for years, one is a world champion turkey caller and one is a world champion archer. I’d say they earned what they got and kill whatever, whenever, wherever they please within the law.
There’s a lot of shows and a few “personalities” I don’t care for, but I just turn the channel.

kprock12

Spike
How about we just let people hunt how they want? Just because you may not like it doesn't mean its not valid, legal and hunting. Being an elitist who decides what everyone else should do is a large part of why the sport is dying.

If its legal, leave it alone.
First of all I didn’t get an elitist vibe from the OP. I don’t get your point on how someone’s opinion is causing the sport to die ? I bait with corn but I often catch myself wondering is this really what’s it’s all about ? If we’re not teaching younger generations how to scout and hunt natural resources then who is really causing the sport to die ?

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
First of all I didn’t get an elitist vibe from the OP. I don’t get your point on how someone’s opinion is causing the sport to die ? I bait with corn but I often catch myself wondering is this really what’s it’s all about ? If we’re not teaching younger generations how to scout and hunt natural resources then who is really causing the sport to die ?
You would be correct. I’m actually really horrible at hunting. I can’t even kill them with corn. I just feel
Like to a point these shows are convincing the younger generation to focus on corn piles rather than woodsmanship. my sons 12 year old buddies call him a liar about some of my game camera pictures because “ you only see deer like that with corn”.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
these shows are convincing the younger generation to focus on corn piles rather than woodsmanship
Sweet, they are outside enjoying some of the things a lot of kids dont get to partake in due to video games or other such crap - be happy they are outside

I would be more worried about the daughters watching the Kardashigans or any of them real house wives of wherever

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
I do agree to a point. It’s very good they are outside and not in front of a video game BUT. if you ever work a kid 18-25 that has had not exposure to look and find for yourself just put out corn or whatever the task may be that requires some where withal to go make it happen. You will then be singing a different tune. Trust me. I do it on a regular basis. When a kid two finger moves every briar in a right of way or can’t figure out how to move through or around a creek or ask if there is a different way because this is too steep. It all plays out in the wash.
Corn is fine. My sister and in laws put it out. All the time. No issue with it but it should not be the standard and when the world develops the standard there will be repercussions.
As far as the girl thing. We are in 100% agreement. We don’t wash that filth at our house and little bit ain’t allowed to wear her dance clothes uncovered or out of the house.
Sweet, they are outside enjoying some of the things a lot of kids dont get to partake in due to video games or other such crap - be happy they are outside

I would be more worried about the daughters watching the Kardashigans or any of them real house wives of wherever

billyf

Six Pointer
I like the gamekeeper type shows where the landowners try to improve his/her land to attract and support more wildlife. I do this on my own land. I grow corn/beans/sweet potatoes/peas/wheat/clover.. etc to attract and support more wildlife. I know it works because The land supports more wildlife than when I bought it..

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
I honestly don’t watch any of them. I listen to Nathan killen anything podcast. He is the most relevant to how I hunt

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
I do agree to a point. It’s very good they are outside and not in front of a video game BUT. if you ever work a kid 18-25 that has had not exposure to look and find for yourself just put out corn or whatever the task may be that requires some where withal to go make it happen. You will then be singing a different tune. Trust me. I do it on a regular basis. When a kid two finger moves every briar in a right of way or can’t figure out how to move through or around a creek or ask if there is a different way because this is too steep. It all plays out in the wash.
Not to start a pi$$ing match, or change your mind/you change mine, we all different methods and options for multiple reasons, but i am not so sure i would blame hunting shows for any of the items you mentioned. I will say though, as long as they want to go out there dont try and change it, you may not make it fun for them, currently they are enjoying themselves.
I would suggest working on a project with them for next year if possible, a food plot, shed hunting something, anything vs just showing up for hunt day.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
we all different methods and options for multiple reasons, but i am not so sure i would blame hunting shows for any of the items you mentioned. I

exactly,,,, folks been spreading corn to hunt over here in NC since before Uncle Sam brought me here (for a secret lifetime mission to keep the Rise of the South a wish instead of reality),,, weren't no hunting shows using corn back then that I am aware of,,, if there was even a hunting show

Who cares! Change the channel if it bothers you that bad. Everybody is so worried about what others are doing or like to do. I dont think it matters one way or the other. Im not bothered in the least by it.