Hunting property borders

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i really have issues with the recovery situation.
with these tiny tracts that we hunt here in nc it would be tough to be denied recovery if a wounded one crossed a boundary.
anyone ever been caught up in that?

Having personal experience helping hunters recover deer using a tracking dog, I can say the number one problem is wounded deer crossing a property boundary. The usual situation is that the hunter doesn't know who owns the adjoining property, or doesn't have any kind of relationship with the owner. It's one of the first questions I ask when somebody calls for help tracking a deer with a dog; Whose property are we tracking on, and do we have permission to be there?

double

Twelve Pointer
Imagine if you shot a wallhanger buck and it ran across the property line and expired. And the adjacent landowner/ lessee found the expired deer and claimed it before you did. What then?

The same thing that happens if you shoot an 80lb doe and they claim it. You go about your business and deal with it. Not a thing in this world you can do about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
i really have issues with the recovery situation.
with these tiny tracts that we hunt here in nc it would be tough to be denied recovery if a wounded one crossed a boundary.
anyone ever been caught up in that?
That’s always the first hurdle I try to get over when I lease a piece. I try and be accommodating and let neighbors know I’m open to letting them recover a wounded deer. All I expect is for them to let me know ahead of time. It’s more of a safety thing with me than a trespassing passing thing. Getting shot hurts like crap.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
That all depends on the circumstances. ?
It's a tree farm with pines in nice neat rows and some dense places that are so thick they're bulletproof. Nobody lives there. I've looked for trucks on the adjacent roads during hunting times and never found any. Don't know any way to reach anyone who might be on the property. Neither do the neighbors. I have heard shots from that direction but couldn't say for sure it was on that property. Last year I found a corn cob just over on my side; I guess a raccoon or something carried it. If I could see a camera or stand or feeder on their property, I'd go over there and leave a note with my phone number. So in this case, I'd probably track him a little way on the other side. I hate to kill something and not recover it.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It's a tree farm with pines in nice neat rows and some dense places that are so thick they're bulletproof. Nobody lives there. I've looked for trucks on the adjacent roads during hunting times and never found any. Don't know any way to reach anyone who might be on the property. Neither do the neighbors. I have heard shots from that direction but couldn't say for sure it was on that property. Last year I found a corn cob just over on my side; I guess a raccoon or something carried it. If I could see a camera or stand or feeder on their property, I'd go over there and leave a note with my phone number. So in this case, I'd probably track him a little way on the other side. I hate to kill something and not recover it.

not that hard to find who owns land,,,,go to the County if they don't have it online for you,,,

no excuse for trespassing

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
After reading three pages of this I got to thinking of deer season coming up soon. Three months of hate-filled woodlands. Neighbor against neighbor, posted signs, purple paint on every tree and telephone pole, fights, trespassers, trash everywhere, spot-lighters running the roads at night. It hasn't even started and I'll be glad when it's over. Things sure have changed since my youth when it comes to "hunting", if you want to call it that. :(

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
they are tall rats but dont they deserve more respect in shot placement?

if you consider them "rats" what do you care? Better than the ol' gut shot method,,,

each person knows their capabilities,,,,

"more respect" from a fellow who claims they are no better than rats,,,, :unsure:

nontypical

Ten Pointer
After reading three pages of this I got to thinking of deer season coming up soon. Three months of hate-filled woodlands. Neighbor against neighbor, posted signs, purple paint on every tree and telephone pole, fights, trespassers, trash everywhere, spot-lighters running the roads at night. It hasn't even started and I'll be glad when it's over. Things sure have changed since my youth when it comes to "hunting", if you want to call it
Not me. I love it. It ain’t as bad as it sounds. We still live in the greatest country on earth and have a God given right to hunt deer. We just have to learn to share!

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
After reading three pages of this I got to thinking of deer season coming up soon. Three months of hate-filled woodlands. Neighbor against neighbor, posted signs, purple paint on every tree and telephone pole, fights, trespassers, trash everywhere, spot-lighters running the roads at night. It hasn't even started and I'll be glad when it's over. Things sure have changed since my youth when it comes to "hunting", if you want to call it that. :(

With that attitude, I'd recommend you sell out and quit. Life's too short and enjoyment is too rare to wake up with that kind of lamenting.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I live in Bladen County. We've had people shot over deer hunting "rights".

Not wanting to cast aspersions, but there used to be some folks down around South Bladen/Pender/Brunswick/Columbus around Lyon Canal and the beginnings of tidal water on the Black River who have been known to get right nasty when others come into what they consider to be their territory. Several times through a period of several years members of my family have been charged at by motor boats in attempts to swamp us while we fished from our little pointy ended swamp boats in Black River. This was a lot of years ago but just wanted to point out that the mountains aren't the only place where folks get clannish and unpredictable when it comes to game.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
ain't like that here,,,,I know all my neighbors and we get along just fine,,,,,

now some of the yahoos that come from out of town to hunt the gamelands I'm not so sure of!! o_O

Why don't you military folks do something about that? Didn't you take some kinda oath or something? ;) ;)

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Other than the dogs (that topic again) that come through regularly, in and out of season, I have had virtually no problems here. My neighbors on 3 sides have been friends since the day I came here a long time ago. The third side, however, is a large leased track. I have a great relationship with the property manager and he has been by here many times. Also invites me to go rabbit hunting over there when he and some friends come up annually. The folks that lease the land, not so sociable. I have gone by their campsite a number of times just to meet or pass along information but other than that I have never seen any of them. The manager gave me permission to retrieve if I needed but I also know that I would not do so until well after dark. There are stands along the property line but all face away from me, some of which I have never known to be occupied. I guess quit is better than a known problem. I just wish they wouldn't shoot everything that walks.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not wanting to cast aspersions, but there used to be some folks down around South Bladen/Pender/Brunswick/Columbus around Lyon Canal and the beginnings of tidal water on the Black River who have been known to get right nasty when others come into what they consider to be their territory. Several times through a period of several years members of my family have been charged at by motor boats in attempts to swamp us while we fished from our little pointy ended swamp boats in Black River. This was a lot of years ago but just wanted to point out that the mountains aren't the only place where folks get clannish and unpredictable when it comes to game.

Crusoe Island? My family is from Columbus and Bladen Counties. I've heard tales about Crusoe all my life.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
So I haven’t read this whole thread, but if you don’t hunt near property borders, aren’t you limiting lots of acreage to not put up a stand. If you’re not shooting over the property line, you’re doing nothing wrong. It’s your land.
Are you supposed to hunt the dead center of your property and nowhere else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
there is a place we hunt the property has a U shaped jet in. its 50ish yards wide and a couple hundred yards long that jets into our lease. its planted pine and thinker than just about anything else around. most of our property at this place is fields of some sort or recently cut cut over. everyone of thier stands is on property line or within 5 ft and faces us. cant tell me they arent shooting onto the property but never seen anyone in the stands.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Listen, it doesn't matter if you hunt 10 acres or 10,000 acres, everyone knows that the best spots are always right on the property line!!

billyearl

Six Pointer
Contributor
What does everyone do about guys hunting right on the property boarders? We have a lease and on both sides we have other people that have stands right on the property line or maybe 5’ off the line, but ladders facing our land or box stand windows looking over our property. Been told in NC as long as they don’t shoot onto our property or the gun don’t cross plane of property line it’s all legal just not ethical. What’s best way to deal with it?
Just looking ain't unethical or illegal down here. You need to do your hunt, let them do theirs ...

RJ1

Ten Pointer
As a hunter I spend alot of time trying to meet and talk to landowners and lease holders around were I hunt. As a landowner that leases land out to hunting clubs and the contact person on most of the land that extended family leases out I would rather hunting clubs work any problems they have without me having to get into it, as I tell them if I have to get into it you may not like how I solve the problem but I am going to solve it, problems with neighboring landowners I want to know about and I want to know about them shortly after it happens nothing upsets me more than getting a call from someone and I have know idea what he is talking about.

Garrett2006

Button Buck
Are you certain that the only way they can shoot is onto your property?
Most definitely as the stand is a elevated box stand with only 3 windows. Front looking straight down a Tee crossing on our land. He put it up to hunt the road when no one was leading this land we just got a hold of.

Reactions: CRC

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Most definitely as the stand is a elevated box stand with only 3 windows. Front looking straight down a Tee crossing on our land. He put it up to hunt the road when no one was leading this land we just got a hold of.

There's your answer.

Chances are he's been hunting this way for sometime, assuming that no one else was there. Its up to you to friendly inform him that the situation has changed.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
We once leased some timberland in Ga with about 50 acres in a "valley" with the top of the ridge belonging to a neighboring club. One year they clearcut our gulley and as it grew back there were no trees left to climb to look down into the deer heaven. We went to the other club's camp and inquired about climbing some of their large pines, and their response was " If you guys are gonna do that, seems like we need to be doing it too" We agreed and it turned out well for all involved. The guys hunting the property on the other side of our lease weren't so friendly. They even went so far as to "bait" their property line and then call the Warden when they saw one of us shooting down "our" power line. At that time, the baiting law was "300 yards or line of sight", and with the power line, they had us covered on both counts. It didn't matter to the LEOs if we had to "trespass" to find the cornpile. 300 yds was 300 yds in their book. By default, our power line was off limits, and the law let us know that we were getting a huge favor with only a warning this time

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They even went so far as to "bait" their property line and then call the Warden when they saw one of us shooting down "our" power line. At that time, the baiting law was "300 yards or line of sight", and with the power line, they had us covered on both counts. It didn't matter to the LEOs if we had to "trespass" to find the cornpile. 300 yds was 300 yds in their book. By default, our power line was off limits, and the law let us know that we were getting a huge favor with only a warning this time

That is why I believe any baiting laws should be restricted to property under your control. A hunter usually can't, and shouldn't, know if their neighbor's property is baited. The law cannot/should not penalize you for not knowing information that would require a criminal act to obtain.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
We once leased some timberland in Ga with about 50 acres in a "valley" with the top of the ridge belonging to a neighboring club. One year they clearcut our gulley and as it grew back there were no trees left to climb to look down into the deer heaven. We went to the other club's camp and inquired about climbing some of their large pines, and their response was " If you guys are gonna do that, seems like we need to be doing it too" We agreed and it turned out well for all involved. The guys hunting the property on the other side of our lease weren't so friendly. They even went so far as to "bait" their property line and then call the Warden when they saw one of us shooting down "our" power line. At that time, the baiting law was "300 yards or line of sight", and with the power line, they had us covered on both counts. It didn't matter to the LEOs if we had to "trespass" to find the cornpile. 300 yds was 300 yds in their book. By default, our power line was off limits, and the law let us know that we were getting a huge favor with only a warning this time
Proof again that deer cause folks to do some stupid stuff. SMH.