Hunting property borders

ddavenport

Six Pointer
Contributor
i really have issues with the recovery situation.
with these tiny tracts that we hunt here in nc it would be tough to be denied recovery if a wounded one crossed a boundary.
anyone ever been caught up in that?
Problem is when you catch me trespassing I will just say I am tracking a wounded deer. Landowner or lessee should be asked, not told, that someone wants to enter the property to track a deer.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Imagine if you shot a wallhanger buck and it ran across the property line and expired. And the adjacent landowner/ lessee found the expired deer and claimed it before you did. What then?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I don't get to hunt very much and when I do, I'm not very good so if one hits the ground on my place it would probably be strung up before someone could get out of their stand. Especially since so many folks seem to feel the need to wait a couple of hours, or even the next day, to go after it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i really have issues with the recovery situation.
with these tiny tracts that we hunt here in nc it would be tough to be denied recovery if a wounded one crossed a boundary.
anyone ever been caught up in that?
I think he meant if there was a right to retrieve law.... that it would be, or try to be used as an excuse to trespass.
That is the point, there isn't.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Imagine if you shot a wallhanger buck and it ran across the property line and expired. And the adjacent landowner/ lessee found the expired deer and claimed it before you did. What then?
You could not claim it or be legal without his permission.

Last edited:

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm on a small tract, 68 acres. I've made a point of meeting all the neighbors. Guy to the west, he's as nice as can be and we've helped each other find deer. Lady to the north, she told me she didn't like hunters, and if a deer ran on her property, she would give it a proper burial. Guy to the east, I asked if we could exchange phone numbers in case one of us needed to track on the other property. He told me that any deer on his property was his deer and he didn't give me his number (he then proceeded to tell me that he went looking his dog once on my property). I haven't been able to talk to anyone on the south side so if it runs over there, I've thought about leaving all my weapons on my side and tracking for at least a little while on their side.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Another scenerio which happened last year, a guy was hunting the boundary of a park closed to hunting. He shot a button buck out in the closed field and it fell where he shot it, that's not where it ends. He was caught red handed by my wife when she walked into the field and found the deer still alive well out in the field. He stated he shot the deer in the woods and the deer ran out into the field, but he had no plans to call the county for permission to retrieve the animal nor could he legally tresspass onto public park property to finish the deer off. Luckily the little deer died while my wife was standing there listening to his lies.
He cried and begged her not to make him call it in to parks and recreation, he knew what he had done and was probably really sorry by then. Sorry he got caught.
Now the rub, he was hunting on closed, taxpayer owned property, so since he's a taxpayer did he have to call for retrieval? :)

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seemed to me the op was saying there should be. My point was what would happen if there were.
The two states I have hunted in that have it I have not used it for retrieval of game. I have used it for retrieval of dogs. Both are extremely strict about the fact that absolutely no firearms are allowed on the person doing the retrieving. So that would in my eyes be a big deterrent as far as trespassing goes.

Perfectly legal. If you think hes trespassing on your land put a couple trail cams out. if you get pics of him on your land call DNR. I would put about 10 no trespassing signs on my side in front of his stand just to make sure he gets the message. I wouldn't tick him off too bad though, One day you might need permission to go on his land to recover a deer.

Last edited:

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Found a stand on state land overlooking a private field this weekend. Can’t touch him and don’t care...I don’t like the feeder though

Killed many a deer sitting on the property line. High shoulder then and get to know the neighbors. I try to hunt where the deer are not where I’d like them to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrbrandt25

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Love is in the air,,,people get funny with hunting land and boundaries,,but I'm not a greedy hunter and dont get that hyped over people on other properties putting stands in view.., but I also try to meet or leave a note informing them that I'm hunting in the area hes facing,,and leave my info ..its more about safety then the thought of someone killing bambi....I think I'd like to make friends with the people with guns in my area.or at least know that they are good or bad hunter..

Clark

Ten Pointer
Trailed the bigggest deer I shot to the edge of the neighbors parcel. Searched until I saw the lighted nock, then contacted the neighbor and was granted permission to recover the next day. Found the arrow but not the deer.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Practice neck shots for the boundary line hunts!
has anyone ever seen that shot recommended for use on deer any place besides this forum?
How about the between the eye shot that was touted the other day?
i know meat hunters dont want to mess up the supper meat but damn, is that a good idea?
Even if you have the skills to make the shot?
I realize they are tall rats but dont they deserve more respect in shot placement?

nontypical

Ten Pointer
has anyone ever seen that shot recommended for use on deer any place besides this forum?
i know meat hunters dont want to mess up the supper meat but damn, is that a good idea?
I realize they are tall rats but dont they deserve more respect in shot placement?
I’ve never aimed for the neck. But I have shot one between the eyes. But that was a follow up shot after I spined him on the first shot. This was one of the first bucks I ever killed.... I aim for the front shoulder with rifle and through the ribs with arrow.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yes

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't know all the answers to these questions, I live in a very rural area and I generally talk to surrounding owners about retrival before hunting a tract. I also have stands very close to property lines but i don't shoot across without permission. In my neck of the woods it's 50/50 between folks telling me i can retrieve my deer but please don't hunt on us because we hunt hard as well or the landowner saying he doesn't care at all and i can hunt his land as well as long as I'm not shooting near the house or livestock.

I've never been denied permission to retrieve a wounded animal

I would talk to the neighbors first before getting to upset about a tree stand, how much land do they have ? May be able to work out and agreement to hunt on each other IMO

OS there are several variable involved in shot placement. Wind, distance, body position. Their is no short cut for experience. Not to mention terrain or property lines. Such as open field or heavy cover. They will hopefully learn sometimes you have to let them walk instead of taking a marginal shot.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Yes. How much more respect can be given than instant? This is probably not the place to debate this, but what is more humane, instant, or running for 100 or many more yards spraying blood and slowly dieing?