Hunting property borders

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have had neighbors I know were hunting my side. Heck , they even trimmed brush on my side that I let grow up to block their view. It made me furious at first, but then I realized it was just a deer. I have chuckled to myself a few times when I know I likely made them jump out of their skin, when I have shot a deer there. Fact is deer like edge, where is edge? Yelp! That's right usually along property lines. I don't worry about neighbors hunting on the property lines, as long as they don't. I also will never deny access to retrieve game or a dog. I have one neighboring land owner who has harassed me, multiple times, about not hunting their farm, while I was at my truck on my property. I'm fairly certain they destroyed one of my box stands that had a staircase, a handicapped friend could hunt out of the stand. The stand was over 100 yards off their property line and was placed there so I could maximize my coverage of a cleared right of way. I confronted the land owner, as I could see the tractor came off their property and not from down the right or way. Either way, if a deer ever runs onto their property I'm pretty sure access would be denied. In that case, I can't tell you what I would do, I try to keep myself away from that situtation. I have killed a fair amount of deer there and have not have that issue yet. Hope, that continues to be the case.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
That is why I believe any baiting laws should be restricted to property under your control. A hunter usually can't, and shouldn't, know if their neighbor's property is baited. The law cannot/should not penalize you for not knowing information that would require a criminal act to obtain.
Exactly. And using ellwoodjake's example, theoretically, you could be denied the ability to legally hunt on your own land if vindictive (PETA, anti-hunting) neighbors baited their land along the periphery of your land that wasn't 600 yards across in all dimensions. And anyone could at least keep you 300 yards away from THEIR land. That could be A LOT of land that you own that THEY unilaterally deny you permission to hunt.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The same thing that happens if you shoot an 80lb doe and they claim it. You go about your business and deal with it. Not a thing in this world you can do about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's also the option to harbor a grudge and do your best to make them regret their decisions. Not the best one...but def still an option.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
There is a law change in the legislature for turkey hunting that (if passed into law) would require someone to know they are hunting in the vicinity of any bait to be illegal.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
That is why I believe any baiting laws should be restricted to property under your control. A hunter usually can't, and shouldn't, know if their neighbor's property is baited. The law cannot/should not penalize you for not knowing information that would require a criminal act to obtain.
Agreed, but that's not the way it is. "Knowing" has nothing to do with it. We once got busted for turning the bear dogs loose after they "blew up" in the box. Yep you guessed it, the bear scent was because of a bait pile and it was being watched. The officers felt like we should have walked a strike dog both directions on the bear track just to make sure no one had rolled anything off the roadbank. This was a public road and definitely not under our control

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And how do they expect you to know if a bait pile is within 300 yards on neighboring private property? Do they recommend you trespass on private property for a 300 yard perimeter along every border? Or is it only enforced if you can see it from the property line? I would think a lawyer would have a field day with that regulation.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
These are the enforcement issues that come up when baiting is legal for some species but not others

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
There is a law change in the legislature for turkey hunting that (if passed into law) would require someone to know they are hunting in the vicinity of any bait to be illegal.

I see how that would work....

Club or guide pays one person to put bait out a d not let anyone know.....

Then anyone that hunts is legal.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
And how do they expect you to know if a bait pile is within 300 yards on neighboring private property? Do they recommend you trespass on private property for a 300 yard perimeter along every border? Or is it only enforced if you can see it from the property line? I would think a lawyer would have a field day with that regulation.
In our case, We "knew" it was baited because the warden told us it was. They "knew" it was there because they found it after a tip; probably made by the ones who placed it there. In all fairness, they had no way to know who put it there, since they found some 4 wheeler tracks coming off "our" power line, and we were the ones benefiting from it, since the deer would cross the power line to get to the cornpile. As far as the "lawyer" thing goes, I can tell you from experience that no one wants to give an out-or-state attorney $500 over a $200 citation. And that's not counting the multiple road trips you have to take to get to court, plus all the time off work; with the lawyer's meter running the whole time. Using our better discretion, we took our warning, and abandoned the elevated blind in the power line

Last edited: